I am fairly new at wordpress, I just created a custom post

Hi I am fairly new at wordpress, I just created a custom post type "information" using custom press and where it asked if I wanted to use categories and tags said ..yes.
Then I created some posts and assigned them to different categories and published. In the theme 2013 it has the categories widget which shows my categories with the correct post count(Access(2),Advocacy(3),Information(5)But when I click on any of them it comes up with "nothing found". this is the case with other themes and I am tearing my hair out, why doesn't it work?

• Alexander

Hi @Derrick,

What's happening here is that Wordpress is linking to that category, but under the standard "posts" post type. This ends up having no results.

With your post type, instead of using "Support Regular Taxonomies" you can create your own taxonomies to categorize your content.

Then you'll just need to use a different widget. Perhaps this one for recent content: https://premium.wpmudev.org/project/recent-custom-posts-type-widget/

Best regards,

• Derrick

I am sorry for being dumb but, it says

Support Regular Taxonomies
    Assign regular taxonomies to this Post Type.
    Categories
    Tags,

But you are saying it doesn't support categories and tags or rather that they aren't recognised?? so whats the point of the above? If I am not assigning my categories to also include a different post type what am i doing?

Say I have a Post about an author writing on birds of the Masaai Mara. I then have a post type for books where all his books show up and a post type for dvds. I want to add the books and dvds that are specifically about Birds of the Masaai Mara + the article under the category/tag "African Birds" so someone could see all articles from each of their sections "post types" that fit one category.
    But what I think you are saying is that this is not possible because wordpress can't look under more than one post type for the same category. To me this sounds like a flaw cos why would I put the same category/tag under different sections unless I meant for them to be the same?
    Surely there must be a Plugin, I don't know code, that can do this. Or perhaps there is a better way of doing this and you could point me to it.
    Thanks for your patience.

• Alexander

Hi Derrick,

I'm sorry for any confusion.

But you are saying it doesn't support categories and tags or rather that they aren't recognised?? so whats the point of the above? If I am not assigning my categories to also include a different post type what am i doing?

This is more of a flaw with the Wordpress category widget. To explain:

The widget does a category lookup to find out how many "posts" are using that category. This is what generates the number. However, clicking the link will run a search through your normal blog posts for that category. It's not taking into account the custom post types.

But what I think you are saying is that this is not possible because wordpress can't look under more than one post type for the same category.

Correct, but it's not impossible to query multiple post types. However, that particular widget is only setup for standard posts. All it's doing is sending you to the blog URL for that category for example:

yoursite.com/blog/category/catname

This is blog specific, and doesn't take your custom type into consideration. I've actually done some quick testing here, and can verify this is a flaw in the Wordpress widget.

I would recommend creating some new taxonomies and not using the default categories and tags

Best regards,

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.