I am finding that negative rules do not protect some pages selected for exclusion

I'm using BuddyPress and the BuddyPress Corporate theme -- up-to-date on versions.

I have a "Visitor" level defined for anyone not logged in. I have a negative rule for Menu for Visitor that shows Login, Welcome Visitor, and About. To ensure access control, I have also created a negative rule for Pages that prohibits access to all pages except Login, Welcome Visitor and About. This all seems well and good until, testing as an un-logged-in visitor, I manually type into my browser's URL field: mywebsiteurl/account. I'm dismayed to find that the unloggedin visitor is now taken to my Account page (which, obviosuly, is checked off in the listing of prohibited pages in the negative rule for Visitor). Yikes!

Does anyone have any ideas on how I can fix this?

• Jack Kitterhing

Hi there @Nelson Bonner

I hope your well today and thanks for your question.

This sounds correct, this is your visitor level and your using negative rules.

With negative rules, if it isn't checked/ticked on the settings, that page would then be accessible by anyone who hasn't got that access level assigned.

So as your visitor is coming to the site and the account page isn't protected from their level because the page isn't checked/ticked in the settings, they can access it, if that makes sense?

I'd recommend adding the pages to the negative rule within the correct access level :slight_smile:

Thank you!
    Kind Regards
    Jack.

• Nelson Bonner

Hello, Jack. Thank you for responding.

Yes, actually, what you have suggested is exactly how I am using negative rules. As I said, my Account page is checked off in the listing of prohibited pages in the negative rule for Visitor.

And yet, testing as an un-logged-in visitor, when I manually type into my browser's URL field: mywebsiteurl/account, I am given access to my Account page.

Do you -- or anyone in a currently-daylight time zone -- have any ideas how I can fix this?

• Jack Kitterhing

Hi there @Nelson Bonner

Thanks for the additional information, I'm in the UK and here for around the next 6 hours :slight_smile:

So I'd be happy to take a look, it'd most likely be quicker if I could get some logins to check this in detail :slight_smile:

Can you send me some membership admin login details, if your creating a new user please make sure it's a membership admin in membership > options > admins
    If you could also send along some FTP details as well please, please send to contact(at)wpmudev.org with the subject line Attn: Jack Kitterhing

Thank you!

Kind Regards
    Jack.

• Nelson Bonner

Hello @Jack Kitterhing

I appreciate your responsiveness (and availability!!! when OZ is napping :o)

I have run Membership > Options > Advanced > Repair Membership Tables and the problem seems to be resolved. Now the negative rules I have set up seem to be working -- when I am not logged in, I have no access to mywebsiteurl/account.

This is as it should be. I'm a happy camper, also as it should be.

I'm marking this as resolved and giving you 10 points for your helpfulness! Many thanks.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.