iOS Build Failed

I am following the instructions and when I go to run the app, xCode keeps saying build failed. Please advise.

taropaa

@Jason Verdelli As far as I can tell (and I'm no iOS developer), the pods directory houses all the includes for the app itself.

I am sure that the developer has an environment already set up and it may work for him, but their documentation has to be the absolute worst that I have encountered so far. There is no description on anything that needs to be set up or any other requirements. And the marketing for this thing is longer than the documentation. And it's lacking exactly at the critical point, which is the actual setup (not to mention it says nothing about where to change license files, where to change blogs to sites, instead if focuses on the well documented app publishing workflow. I know criticizing is easy but when you claim something is well documented and it's not, that's what you will get.

The project is ambitious but it is clear to me they jumped out with it too soon and it is actually not a finished product.

My challenge to the developer, is to try his own code on a fresh mac install following his own instructions to the letter and seeing what happens, then documenting the steps he took to fix the issue.

Alexander

Hi everyone, I'm sorry you're having issues here. I've done some testing, and somehow one of the files was corrupted during our delivery process. We're working on getting this sorted out.

For now, I've uploaded a fresh copy of the project files that you can use in the meantime: https://www.dropbox.com/s/wi3n00tcroc1gni/ios.zip

Let us know how it goes!

Best regards,

Alexander

Hi @taropaa,

I also wanted to thank you for your feedback/criticsm. We didn't get much during our trial run, so it was hard to anticipate exactly what might be lacking or needed.

The documentation doesn't get into the nitty gritty with detailed explanations. That's what the Apple Documentation is for. The goal is easy to follow step by step instructions that bring you from the source code to a published app.

For example, we go from something like this: https://developer.apple.com/library/ios/documentation/IDEs/Conceptual/AppDistributionGuide/Introduction/Introduction.html to a handful of screenshots with guided steps.

I'll admit there's room for improvement. Maybe we're not knocking it out of the park yet. We are looking to set a precedent though. To my knowledge nobody else has done this before.

Hopefully with a bit more feedback like this, we'll be able to introduce some great updates to both the project and the documenation. On that note...

not to mention it says nothing about where to change license files

You're right, this was overlooked. I'll look into this and have some information added for it to our documentation

Thanks again for your feedback here!

Best regards,

taropaa

Hi @Alexander Rohmann, thank you for your reply.

As far as the documentation goes, I would much rather see how to change the URL's for the signup pages and how to change the address of my blog network.

As you said, Apple has extensive documentation and they already hold our hands publishing apps to the store and they have great support for that too, that is why in my opinion it is redundant to cover that in 6 out of 11 pages, when you fail to mention all the steps to actually fully customize the app.

It's literally the same process to publish any type of app, whereas it is a unique process to change the code within this iOS app to reflect each business that is trying to use it. I would like to suggest you explain even those obvious steps, since some have never seen the IDE before and it would be so much more value to them if they can just pick it up and it would actually work.

Strategically this is a key product for WPMU Dev. I can find my way around it myself, I am just offering some feedback on the product, which in my opinion would make it less frustrating (since the description says easy and when you see that you only have to change 2 lines (and yet you have way more customizations as far as text goes) I instantly get disappointed.

Also I am sure that all other members here would agree, but if they download this app for their business they will want to know how to get their own TOS, help section up there and have their own text in the UI as well. I can't have my app say "add edublogs campus site" or "add blog hosted at edublogs.com" (which are nowhere to be found in the documentation).

My suggestion, as far as the documentation goes, is to drop the distribution section and just point to another well documented source (even google I'm feeling lucky will probably come up with about a thousand video tutorials) and instead go over the features I mentioned above.

If you make an amazing product but your users won't know how to use it it is at the end of the day useless. I am learning this the hard way right now as we are building a cloud powered "easy to use" CMS based on a home-brewed concoction of Wordpress and other bits and pieces.

That being said, I would like to thank you and your team for reading my mind in coming up with this application. I have been with you for a long time and I've seen your components and service improve steadily. Keep up the great work @Alexander Rohmann, this app is worth the effort

Alexander

Hi again,

Can you guys try the version we just uploaded?

https://premium.wpmudev.org/project/wp-for-ios/

We had some mistakes which has lead to an unfortunate misunderstanding altogether. I'm so sorry about all this

It's our full intention to allow customizations. That was really the point of this whole thing. It just happened to be the last part of the docs I worked on, and when the first release went out, I mistakenly sent an old revision. The current version has the correct files. It has a section that goes more in depth about customizing the app.

I've also tested this and have built it successfully without errors.

@Jason Verdelli, regarding your Multisite question.

It's actually setup for Multisite for default. If you open Classes/Edublogs/Config.h you can change the signup URL for you site. This will load within the app, allowing a user to create a new account. You can also disable this signup feature if you're not allowing registration. This is all covered in the docs now that we've uploaded the correct version.

@taropaa,

Your feedback here has is incredibly helpful! Thanks for taking the time to work through this, and share your thoughts. I'm looking forward to any other contributions that you might share.

Take a look at the updated customization section in the PDF and let me know what you think!

Best regards,

Quang

Hello @taropaa,

I'm an iOS developer and very nice to talk to you.

Don't worry about the warning of Subversion 1.7. Perhaps we added the ".svn" folder into the source code before delivering, so Xcode ran the check. We will remove it soon. Thank you for your notification.

I'm concerned with the last error you met when running the app. Could you please provide more information(logs, screenshot, ...) about it?

Best regards,
    Quang

taropaa

Hi @Quang would this be what you are looking for? that is the output shown in the center window.

CompileC /Users/testuser/Library/Developer/Xcode/DerivedData/WordPress-eyvmlvsohpxcxkfuwtaiixhpagag/Build/Intermediates/WordPress.build/Debug-iphonesimulator/WordPress.build/Objects-normal/i386/WordPressComApiCredentials.o /tmp/WordPress.build/WordPressComApiCredentials.m normal i386 objective-c com.apple.compilers.llvm.clang.1_0.compiler

cd "/Users/testuser/Creative Cloud Files/Mobile Apps/WPMU/ios 2/WordPress"

setenv LANG en_US.US-ASCII

setenv PATH "/Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer/Platforms/iPhoneSimulator.platform/Developer/usr/binApplications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer/usr/binusr/binbinusr/sbinsbin"

/Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer/Toolchains/XcodeDefault.xctoolchain/usr/bin/clang -x objective-c -arch i386 -fmessage-length=0 -fdiagnostics-show-note-include-stack -fmacro-backtrace-limit=0 -std=c99 -fobjc-arc -Wno-trigraphs -fpascal-strings -O0 -Wno-missing-field-initializers -Wno-missing-prototypes -Wno-implicit-atomic-properties -Wno-receiver-is-weak -Wno-arc-repeated-use-of-weak -Wno-arc-bridge-casts-disallowed-in-nonarc -Wno-missing-braces -Wparentheses -Wswitch -Wno-unused-function -Wno-unused-label -Wno-unused-parameter -Wunused-variable -Wunused-value -Wno-empty-body -Wno-uninitialized -Wno-unknown-pragmas -Wno-shadow -Wno-four-char-constants -Wno-conversion -Wno-constant-conversion -Wno-int-conversion -Wno-bool-conversion -Wno-enum-conversion -Wno-shorten-64-to-32 -Wpointer-sign -Wno-newline-eof -Wno-selector -Wno-strict-selector-match -Wno-undeclared-selector -Wno-deprecated-implementations -DCOCOAPODS=1 -isysroot /Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer/Platforms/iPhoneSimulator.platform/Developer/SDKs/iPhoneSimulator7.0.sdk -fexceptions -fasm-blocks -fstrict-aliasing -Wprotocol -Wdeprecated-declarations -g -Wno-sign-conversion -fobjc-abi-version=2 -fobjc-legacy-dispatch -mios-simulator-version-min=6.0 -I/Users/testuser/Library/Developer/Xcode/DerivedData/WordPress-eyvmlvsohpxcxkfuwtaiixhpagag/Build/Intermediates/WordPress.build/Debug-iphonesimulator/WordPress.build/Edublogs.hmap -I/Users/testuser/Library/Developer/Xcode/DerivedData/WordPress-eyvmlvsohpxcxkfuwtaiixhpagag/Build/Products/Debug-iphonesimulator/include -I/Users/testuser/Creative\ Cloud\ Files/Mobile\ Apps/WPMU/ios\ 2/WordPress/../Pods/Headers -I/Users/testuser/Creative\ Cloud\ Files/Mobile\ Apps/WPMU/ios\ 2/WordPress/../Pods/Headers/AFNetworking -I/Users/testuser/Creative\ Cloud\ Files/Mobile\ Apps/WPMU/ios\ 2/WordPress/../Pods/Headers/CTidy -I/Users/testuser/Creative\ Cloud\ Files/Mobile\ Apps/WPMU/ios\ 2/WordPress/../Pods/Headers/DTCoreText -I/Users/testuser/Creative\ Cloud\ Files/Mobile\ Apps/WPMU/ios\ 2/WordPress/../Pods/Headers/DTFoundation -I/Users/testuser/Creative\ Cloud\ Files/Mobile\ Apps/WPMU/ios\ 2/WordPress/../Pods/Headers/JSONKit -I/Users/testuser/Creative\ Cloud\ Files/Mobile\ Apps/WPMU/ios\ 2/WordPress/../Pods/Headers/MGImageUtilities -I/Users/testuser/Creative\ Cloud\ Files/Mobile\ Apps/WPMU/ios\ 2/WordPress/../Pods/Headers/Mixpanel -I/Users/testuser/Creative\ Cloud\ Files/Mobile\ Apps/WPMU/ios\ 2/WordPress/../Pods/Headers/NSObject-SafeExpectations -I/Users/testuser/Creative\ Cloud\ Files/Mobile\ Apps/WPMU/ios\ 2/WordPress/../Pods/Headers/NSURL+IDN -I/Users/testuser/Creative\ Cloud\ Files/Mobile\ Apps/WPMU/ios\ 2/WordPress/../Pods/Headers/OHHTTPStubs -I/Users/testuser/Creative\ Cloud\ Files/Mobile\ Apps/WPMU/ios\ 2/WordPress/../Pods/Headers/Quantcast-Measure -I/Users/testuser/Creative\ Cloud\ Files/Mobile\ Apps/WPMU/ios\ 2/WordPress/../Pods/Headers/Reachability -I/Users/testuser/Creative\ Cloud\ Files/Mobile\ Apps/WPMU/ios\ 2/WordPress/../Pods/Headers/SFHFKeychainUtils -I/Users/testuser/Creative\ Cloud\ Files/Mobile\ Apps/WPMU/ios\ 2/WordPress/../Pods/Headers/SSKeychain -I/Users/testuser/Creative\ Cloud\ Files/Mobile\ Apps/WPMU/ios\ 2/WordPress/../Pods/Headers/SVProgressHUD -I/Users/testuser/Creative\ Cloud\ Files/Mobile\ Apps/WPMU/ios\ 2/WordPress/../Pods/Headers/UIDeviceIdentifier -I/Users/testuser/Creative\ Cloud\ Files/Mobile\ Apps/WPMU/ios\ 2/WordPress/../Pods/Headers/WordPressApi -I/Users/testuser/Creative\ Cloud\ Files/Mobile\ Apps/WPMU/ios\ 2/WordPress/../Pods/Headers/google-plus-ios-sdk -I/Users/testuser/Creative\ Cloud\ Files/Mobile\ Apps/WPMU/ios\ 2/WordPress/../Pods/Headers/wpxmlrpc -I/Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer/Platforms/iPhoneSimulator.platform/Developer/SDKs/iPhoneSimulator7.0.sdk/usr/include/libxml2 -I/Users/testuser/Library/Developer/Xcode/DerivedData/WordPress-eyvmlvsohpxcxkfuwtaiixhpagag/Build/Intermediates/WordPress.build/Debug-iphonesimulator/WordPress.build/DerivedSources/i386 -I/Users/testuser/Library/Developer/Xcode/DerivedData/WordPress-eyvmlvsohpxcxkfuwtaiixhpagag/Build/Intermediates/WordPress.build/Debug-iphonesimulator/WordPress.build/DerivedSources -F/Users/testuser/Library/Developer/Xcode/DerivedData/WordPress-eyvmlvsohpxcxkfuwtaiixhpagag/Build/Products/Debug-iphonesimulator -F/Users/testuser/Creative\ Cloud\ Files/Mobile\ Apps/WPMU/ios\ 2/WordPress/../Pods/google-plus-ios-sdk/google-plus-ios-sdk-1.3.0 -F/Users/testuser/Creative\ Cloud\ Files/Mobile\ Apps/WPMU/ios\ 2/WordPress/Classes -F/Users/testuser/Creative\ Cloud\ Files/Mobile\ Apps/WPMU/ios\ 2/WordPress -Wno-format-security -DDEBUG -Wno-format -include /Users/testuser/Library/Developer/Xcode/DerivedData/WordPress-eyvmlvsohpxcxkfuwtaiixhpagag/Build/Intermediates/PrecompiledHeaders/WordPress_Prefix-herpxklrzoflfoakysezvbdvhkly/WordPress_Prefix.pch -MMD -MT dependencies -MF /Users/testuser/Library/Developer/Xcode/DerivedData/WordPress-eyvmlvsohpxcxkfuwtaiixhpagag/Build/Intermediates/WordPress.build/Debug-iphonesimulator/WordPress.build/Objects-normal/i386/WordPressComApiCredentials.d --serialize-diagnostics /Users/testuser/Library/Developer/Xcode/DerivedData/WordPress-eyvmlvsohpxcxkfuwtaiixhpagag/Build/Intermediates/WordPress.build/Debug-iphonesimulator/WordPress.build/Objects-normal/i386/WordPressComApiCredentials.dia -c /tmp/WordPress.build/WordPressComApiCredentials.m -o /Users/testuser/Library/Developer/Xcode/DerivedData/WordPress-eyvmlvsohpxcxkfuwtaiixhpagag/Build/Intermediates/WordPress.build/Debug-iphonesimulator/WordPress.build/Objects-normal/i386/WordPressComApiCredentials.o

clang: error: no such file or directory: '/tmp/WordPress.build/WordPressComApiCredentials.m'

clang: error: no input files

Command /Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer/Toolchains/XcodeDefault.xctoolchain/usr/bin/clang failed with exit code 1