Backup is not working

I am generating a backup since yesterday. But still 0%. Tried from WP admin but still getting an error. https://monosnap.com/file/JjnRBJGUbgmuPZqEowVwf17WfKnH4P

Please check and help.

• Adam Czajczyk
    • Support Gorilla

Hi Amit

I hope you’re well today!

I checked your site and it seems that the backup fails due to the server resource usage hitting limits. However, my attempts to lower that usage didn’t work so far and I also noticed something alarming there:

when I was checking the site and browsing back-end (wp-admin area) it was very slow even though there was no backup running; at the same time I/O usage (showing in cPanel) was reaching limits and at some point site’s back-end gave me “Request Timeout” error even though I wasn’t running backups or doing any changes there.

This suggests that there’s some process either running in background or being somehow “triggered” when browsing the site that’s trying to do some read/write operations, putting additional stress on server.

That said, I’d like to ask you if you noticed any “slow-downs” or such/similar “request timeout” issues already on site’s frontend or back-end recently in other situations than trying to run managed backups? Were there any changes (like some custom code added) made to the site or the site was undergoing some infection with malicious code recently?

Let me know, please.

Best regards,

Adam

• Adam Czajczyk
    • Support Gorilla

Hello Amit

I’m sorry for late response, we’ve had a bit more questions here on support forum recently than usually while there’s still end of the vacation season. We’re looking into expanding our staff to avoid that in future.

Please note also: we’re supposed to respond to tickets in order from oldest to newest in order to minimize waiting time. Posting multiple posts in a row without staff response doesn’t work like “bumping up” but marks the ticket as newer, which may lead into additional delays.

Once again, I apologize for keeping you waiting.

As for the site. I’ve accessed it again and it seems to be loading fine now. I’m not sure why it was that slow back that, hopefully it was just some temporary glitch that happened at the time I was checking the site.

So, I checked it again and I noticed something that I missed previously:

1) there’s some additional backup from All in one migration plugin and that is quite a big file that should be excluded from Snapshot

2) server’s low on disk space and even if I would exclude that backup file mentioned above, it’s still not enough space to perform backup; according to cPanel site takes nearly 4GB of space (around 3.7) so even if we exclude 1.7 backup, it still leaves very tight margin for just a single backup file; with that margin Snapshot won’t have enough space to create backup archive.

Taking that into account, I need to ask you for a bit more help on this before I’ll even be able to try to troubleshoot that: could you please either “clean up” site/files on server a bit to provide more free disk space there (at least there should be that much space as the site itself occupies but the more the better) or provide more disk space in some other way (e.g. enlarge at the host)?

I’m asking for this because whatever I would do to troubleshoot/improve the backup process, it won’t work if the backup won’t fit on the server (and it has to because before it’s uploaded to The Hub it’s created on the server locally first).

Kind regards,

Adam

• Patrick Freitas
    • Staff

Hi Amit

Hope you are doing well.

I made some changes on wp-config.php

Decreased the WordPress memory to avoid the WordPress memory consume entire PHP Memory, also added some Snapshot Defines, I was able to run a Managed Backup now you can see this on your HUB or Managed Backup page, however, I still see the I/O limitation of your server is really low.

You can schedule backups to run overnight when the site has less access and it will work fine but I'm afraid you will keep having an issue if you need to run a manual Managed Backup which site has more access.

I suggest checking with your Hosting Provider if they can increase the I/O limitation for your Plan to avoid any further issue.

Also take a look at our new hosting, https://premium.wpmudev.org/hosting

Which site is a VPS, means not shared resources what can make the site really faster.

Let us know if you need any further help on this.

Best Regards

Patrick Freitas

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.