I am having a problem with the Q&A Plugin

The title on the ask page keeps coming up as page not found. http://mplysiak.com/questions/ask/

• KenBosh
    • Design Lord, Child of Thor

Hi there,

KenBosh here… I’m just a user, but looking to help.

What’s the default page you set for your home page?

Permalinks?

It’s showing this in the code – Page not found | MPLysiak

So, it’s actually seeing part of that site or blog name.

The PAGE is probably a variable that’s pulled from the default view.

Just a guess. Hope some of that helps. If it’s all wrong let’s hope the admin kills this post. :slight_smile:

KenBosh

• aristath
    • Recruit

Hello there @mlysiak, I hope you’re well today!

Do yoiu have any other plugins that would interfere with the creation of that URL?

Please try the following:

– Deactivate ALL plugin (including the Q&A plugin)

– Switch your theme to the twentytwelve theme

– reactivate the Q&A plugin.

Does the url work now?

If it does, start re-activating your plugins one by one and check to see if one of them causes the conflict.

Please let me know what you find…

Cheers,

Ari.

• mlysiak
    • Site Builder, Child of Zeus

I deactivated the plugins and it went away. After reactivating each I discovered the issue came back when ultimate seo is active. How do I fix this? FYI I tried setting the title in seo ultimate and the same thing happens.

• mlysiak

Ok for anyone else who experiences this problem I have found the solution. My title tag in the header was empty. I simply put a default value in the header title tag and now everything is working. No Idea why this only affected the one page but If it is working I’m happy. Aristath will you please remove the url from my original post. Thanks

• mlysiak

Ok so I was wrong the reason it seemed to work is I still had seo ultimate turned off, brain fart. I did some further testing and here is what I found out. The problem occurs in my theme as well as the twentyeleven theme but not in the twentytwelve theme. Also after inserting is_404 in the page i can see that for some reason wordpress is telling ultimate seo that it is a 404 but it is not using the 404 template. I’m so confused.

• mlysiak

Lets start from the beginning. In a bone stock install using nothing but the twenty eleven theme or my current custom theme, the Q&A plugin, and Infinite SEO I keep getting a page title of “page not found | Mplysiak” for the page mplysiak.com/questions/ask/. If I disable the title and meta optimization in Infinite SEO The page is titled normally as “Ask A Question | Mplysiak” so there is a conflict with the infinite SEO plugin and the Q&A plugin. However the Q&A question/ask/ page always displays properly instead of displaying a 404 not found page as it normally would if the page was actually not found. The is_404 has no effect on whether the problem occurs or not. there or not the title displays incorrectly. I simply added it in to see what the result would be!

• mlysiak

We also need to expedite this solution it is moving very slow. I am in the US and it seems like you are in another part of the world considering your responses seem to come in the middle of the night when I am normally sleeping. At this rate it is going to take weeks to solve.

• aristath
    • Recruit

Forgive me for trying to be thorough, but first I have to understand EXACTLY the conditions that led to your issue so that I may be able to replicate it!

Once I replicate it I’ll be able to understand what is causing it and call in the plugin developer to provide a solution for this!

So far I haven’t been able to replicate it. I just did what you described…

On a fresh installation with nothing but the Q&A and the Infinite SEO plugins enabled (using the twentytwelve theme) I configured Infinite SEO for titles and then tried to access /questions/ask

The page had a title “Ask a question | testsite”.

So I’m guessing there’s something else in your configuration or installation causing this…

Could you please send me your admin credentials so that I may take a closer look at your site?

Send an email to aristath at incsub dot com

– Include a link to this thread so that I may track this issue better

– Include your admin credentials (user/pass). If it’s a multisite installation I’ll need superadmin

– Include a link to your website.

Cheers,

Ari.

• aristath
    • Recruit

I was talking about this issue with a fellow staff member and an idea came up…

Could you please try copying the template file for that page from wp-content/plugins/qa/default-templates/ask-question.php to your theme?

This way there will be an actual file that will be used instead of a virtual page. This will help us pinpoint the issue better…

Please let me know what happens.

Awaiting your reply,

Ari.

• mlysiak

I have a custom theme with the Q&A files in it and that is when I originally noticed the problem. So this request will not solve the problem. the page I am referring to is in the original question that started the thread. Why are we going backwards here?

• mlysiak

This problem is also replicable and I have proven that by setting up the test site on a completely different server in a bare bones form. To replicate it install wordpress, Q&A, and Infinnite SEO, enable the twenty eleven theme and activate the plugins, turn on pretty permalinks, and go to “your domain”/questions/ask/ and look at the browser page title. Just in case you are incapable of doing this I will send you a ftp username and password for the test domain I e-mailed you and you are more than welcome to work on that if it is easier. The bottom line is your plugins are guaranteed to work and it is not, it is not a coding problem on my end and it does not work with the default twenty eleven theme provided with wordpress? It is a conflict that occurs when both the Q&A plugin and the Infinite SEO plugins are installed both of which are guaranteed to work but yet do not work together. You need to get those teams together and solve the problem.

• Vladislav
    • Dead Eye Dev

Hello,

I have tried to replicate the conflict between our two plugins you experienced, but unfortunately I couldn’t get them to behave like you explained. Here’s a screenshot of the result I got: http://tinyurl.com/d6dfwny This is on stock WPv3.5.1 network, with Q&A, Infinite SEO (Title&Meta rewriting enabled) and 2011 theme. I got the same results on a single site install, and Hakan was able to confirm these results on his side too. Is it perhaps possible that this is due to the custom templates you mentioned? Replicating the conflict is a first step towards resolving it, as only then we can pinpoint what goes wrong (and why) with some certainty.

• mlysiak

Aristath requested admin access so I set up a test site for him replicating the problem. The site had nothing done to it that was bone stock it was the latest version of WordPress with Infinite SEO and Q&A installed. I also set-up FTP access to the site so incase it could not be replicated your teams could go in and either see exactly how it had been installed and the exact setting of all the options. Obviously there was a breakdown in communication and you did not receive this information. Please provide your email address and I will do the same for you.

• mlysiak

This one response a day is not going to cut it either please tell me what time in United States Eastern Standard time you want me to be available and I will stay up all night if I need to to get this problem solved and work on it on your time schedule. I want some dedicated time from your team at this point. You guys advertise 24hr support but that does not seem to be the case here so I will conform to your time schedule.

• Timothy
    • Chief Pigeon

Hey there.

All members are equally important to us here at WPMU DEV and as such we take responses by oldest first, responding multiple times to a thread doesn’t bump you up the queue but quite the contrary, your post has a new response thus your actually delaying a reply from us.

Ari has been hospitalised with an acute appendicitis. As such I’ll be looking into this further.

You said you had send him some credentials over?

Could you send the same for me please.

Can you please send in:

– Mark to my attention

– Link back to this thread

– Include admin/network access

– Include FTP

– Include any relevant URLS for your site

https://premium.wpmudev.org/contact/

Thanks.

• aristath
    • Recruit

@mlysiak

Vladislav, Hakan, Timothy and myself have all tried to replicate this issue without being able to.

I myself have tried it on my localhost, on a shared hosting running apache and on a VPS with nginx. None of these configurations seemed to trigger this issue.

That can only mean that there is something unique in your installation that makes this issue tick!

Could you possibly provide some more info on your server? Or anything else you can think of that would help us pinpoint the case of this…

Awaiting your reply,

Ari.

• mlysiak

Ok, I believe I found the problem. I started looking for commonalities on the sites where the problem was occurring and realized that all the sites had 0 posts, so, I restored the sample post and the problem went away. I then tried it with no sample post and an actual post an the problem still did not reoccur. So to put it simply the plugin needs a post of the type “post” to function. Why this is I have no idea but at least it is working as far as I can tell at this point. I would love to know what is causing this to happen only when Infinite SEO titles and meta are active though if anyone has any thoughts?

• Hakan
    • The Incredible Smush

Hi,

Please unzip the attached file and move the core.php file inside it to the folder “plugins/qa/core/” to replace the existing core.php file.

We tested and saw that it is working, but please you check it once more and inform us if it solves the issue.

Cheers,

Hakan

• mlysiak

The problem is fixed! Yay. Thank you, everything is now working correctly including the code I originally wrote that I could not get to work because of the problem. Will this fix be included in future Q&A Updates. Thank you very much!

• Hakan
    • The Incredible Smush

For future reference, there is a logic hole in WordPress such that it assigns virtual pages as 404 when there is no post available on the website.

An ask page is a virtual page and SEO plugins notice its being 404, but not notice this very special situation.

Maybe that is why WordPress always comes with a sample post.

Cheers,

Hakan

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.