I am having download and upload issues with documents on Coursepress Pro

Hi
I have set up a course via Coursepress Pro and it currently has three modules with various unit sizes. The issues we've been having so far are that I have uploaded handouts and my powerpoint presentation for the students to download, and when they have downloaded the document, they have turned out blank. I thought this was an issue with the version of word/powerpoint the students have been using but all of them have had the same issue. In addition, one of the other elements of the course is the students can upload a part of their assignment using the upload system, however I have just tried to download their submissions and they have all been blank. Some of them are .doc files and others are .docx. Please can you advise what to do as this is currently stopping me creating more modules.

• Adam Czajczyk
    • Support Gorilla

Hello Kimberley,

I hope you're well today and thank you for your question!

I took a liberty of accessing your site and I've tested the issue. I can confirm that PDF and .doc files (so probably more formats as well) are being downloaded but open as blank files.

I've downloaded those files directly from your media library (properly), uploaded them to my own test site with CoursePress Pro enabled and was able to download them again from my site just fine.

As I cannot see any caching plugin (such as W3 Total Cache or similar) on your site, I suspect there may be some kind of theme/plugin conflict on the site. That said, could you please run a full conflict test by following the steps below:

- revert to default Twenty Fifteen theme and check for an issue
    - if it doesn't help, please disable all the plugins at once (except CoursePress) and enable them one-by-one each time checking for the issue.

This should help you identify the main culprit here which I'll then investigate further in order to find a fix.

Let me know the results please!

Best regards,
    Adam

• Adam Czajczyk
    • Support Gorilla

Hello Kimberly!

Thank you for this feedback.

This complicates things a bit but also eliminates some possible issues here. That said, I tried to take another look at your site but it seems that the support access has already expired as it's usually active for 72 hours only.

Would it be possible that you re-grant it once again for me so I could further investigate the issue? It would be also great if you could keep it open until the issue is fully fixed.

Let me know please!

Best regards,
    Adam

• ArtyLabs
    • New Recruit

I appear to be having the same issue. I ask learners to upload video evidence .mp4 format as well as .pdf .doc and other formats to be assessed and when I click on the file to download and view them it is a 2kb file and displays nothing...

• Predrag Dubajic
    • Support

Hi @Kimberly Bond and @ArtyLabs,

I was doing some further testing and still was unable to replicate this on my installation even though I do see the issue on Kimberly's site.

We had this issue few months back but it was resolved in one of the updates.
    You both probably use latest version but could you try reinstalling it via FTP and see if that will give any improvements?
    You can download plugin zip from plugin page:
    https://premium.wpmudev.org/project/coursepress-pro/

Best regards,
    Predrag

• Kimberly Bond
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

Hi,
    Thank you for your reply. The issue is still not improving, despite doing all of the above. I can confirm that I have now downloaded and uploaded all the files via FTP again, changed to the 2014 theme, deactivated all my plugins, and even tried going back to the default Coursepress Pro theme and that didn't help at all. I can't sell my courses if my students can't download the resources :slight_frown:. Also when I click on any of the modules on the front end of the site, it randomly sends me an email to say that I have 'enrolled' on the module. I think it is some kind of bug. I have uploaded a screenshot for you. I have also given you 72 hours access to my site again. Also, I don't know if this is a CSS thing or not, but the featured images for the courses are appearing HUGE on my front screen and I don't know where to go to make them smaller. I will upload seperate ticket if necessary as I have a couple of other issues I would like clarifying.

Thanks
    Kimberly

• Adam Czajczyk
    • Support Gorilla

Hey Kimberly!

As for images and a couple of other issues that you mentioned, could you please start separate threads? This would help us fix everything faster and may become also helpful for other members of the community that may experience similar problems. Thanks for understanding!

As for empty files issue. I run some more tests and since I still wasn't able to replicate this on my end, I think I'd need to dig a bit deeper. That said, could you please send in:

Subject: "Attn: Adam Czajczyk"

- your site's WordPress admin login URL
    - admin login and password (may be a temporary account)
    - FTP credentials (hostname, username, password, port number if needed)
    - any other relevant URLs and information
    - link back to this thread

Please use our contact form here https://premium.wpmudev.org/contact/.
    Select "I have a different question" from the drop-down list.

Please be sure to make a full backup of your entire site first!

Best regards,
    Adam

• Adam Czajczyk
    • Support Gorilla

Hello Kimberly!

I'm sorry for such a long overdue on this one, please take my sincere apologies. Since some time had already passed, let me know please if you still need assistance on this one. I'll be more than happy to get back to work on this and hopefully solve the issue.

Happy New Year!
    Adam

• Kimberly Bond
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

Hi Adam
    Yes I sent you all the required information last month, i hope you received it. I have now resorted to deactivating coursepress pro and started to design the website using wordpress posts and the membership pro plugin, but I would really like to use the coursepress pro plugin if possible because this is the reason why I mainly paid for the WPMU Dev membership. If you can still help that would be great. Thanks.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.