I am having issues with the staging platform.

I have a website hosted on WPMU Host and I tried to create a staging platform into this. But after creating the staging platform it seems that the staging platform is not finished properly copying the exact same data/files from the production site. My staging website always shows preloader, it doesn't fade out and the site is not visible.

• Adam Czajczyk
    • Support Gorilla

Hello Jake

I hope you're well today!

I understand there are issues on front-end but I believe you are able to log in to the staging site's back-end (the wp-admin) area, is that correct?

If yes, please give this a try (in this order):

- disable Asset Optimization in Hummingbird
    - clear Hummingbird cache
    - Flush Cache on server ("Flush Cache" option in Hosting section of the Hub, in Tools tab).

Once that's done, see if the issues are still occurring. If yes, let me know please and also make sure to enable support access to the staging site by going to the "Network Admin -> WPMU DEV -> Support -> Support Access" page in staging site back-end and clicking on "Grant support access" button there.

Best regards,
    Adam

• Adam Czajczyk
    • Support Gorilla

Hello Jake

Thanks for response!

I didn't check it before (my fault and I'm sorry for this) but this seems to be a sub-domain based multisite. I'm afraid that for now such setup will not work properly in staging environment as we do not support sub-subdomains.

A production site with has it's own domain assigned would be working fine (provided it has an SSL cert installed already) but staging uses a temporary "wpmudev.host" sub-domain and sub-domain based setup "builds up" addresses like "subdomain. subdomain.staging.wpmudev.host" which is one level "too deep".

I realize it's a limitation and I apologize for the trouble it causes. I believe we'll get that sorted in future but for now sub-domain based setups are only supported "on demand" rather than "out of the box" and only for production setups.

Kind regards,
    Adam

• Predrag Dubajic
    • Support

Hi Jake,

Apologies for the long delay here, we've been a bit short staffed for last few days and we're doing our best to pick up on things now.

Can you please tell me a bit more of the changes that you were doing on staging site, is only like changing settings on your main site or adding content there?
    Or did you also made some changes to the files, for example edited theme files, and if you did are any of these files (same theme) used on any other subsites?

Best regards,
    Predrag

• Jake
    • Flash Drive

I experimented with changing current pages and adding new pages.
    I didn't edit any theme files or anything.

When I pushed it to production it did affect my live subsite, so I have just decided to use the staging site as a testing site and then just replicate the changes manually on my live site for now

• Jake
    • Flash Drive

When I pushed it to live, it changed a lot of the urls in the wordpress settings to my subsite domain (academy.steelstrengthandconditioning), not my mapped domain (steeltransformationacademy). I think we resolved the issue but one of my clients has viewed the site and is seeing errors with the icons.

I just noticed it as well on my end when I clicked on a link that was previously (steeltransformationacademy.com/privacy-policy) but it was actually (academy.steelstrengthandconditioning.com/privacy-policy).

When viewing the same page through the mapped domain (steeltransformationacademy.com/privacy-policy) there are no errors but there are errors when viewing (academy.steelstrengthandconditioning.com/privacy-policy).

I have changed the link so i think the page with errors is inaccessible, but I think some people may have been redirected to academy.steelstrengthandcondtioning.com instead of steeltransformationacademy.com

• Adam Czajczyk
    • Support Gorilla

Hello Jake

it seems it just updated the site/home URL in db, using the original domain. That's what actually should happen when the site's pushed from production to staging and the other way around but here we got a sub-domain multisite with additionally mapped domains so this is a setup that works in production environment but is not yet fully supported officially - so unexpected issues might be happening during production <-> staging moves.

However, we're constantly working on improving this and I'd also like to discuss that more with our sys-admins but I got one additional question (since I don't have access to the site and to the server without your explicit permission): the mapping that you're using - are you using some plugin for this such as e.g. Domain Mapping that we've been providing in the past or similar? Or is it a "core" mapping, meaning that the site URL was simply changed in the sub-site settings?

If the latter, was only the "Siteurl" changed when you mapped the domain or both "Siteurl" and "Home" in site "Settings"?

Best regards,
    Adam

• Adam Czajczyk
    • Support Gorilla

Hello Jake

Thank you for explanation and I sincerely apologize for such a long delay on my end!

If you're using Domain Mapping plugin the update of these URLs should be relatively easy. It should suffice to simply remove and re-add mapping for each site - that's pretty much "two clicks" process for each site. It would update URLs and if the domains are still pointing to the production site, the effect should be instant.

Kind regards,
    Adam

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.