I am having trouble grasping/implementing the correct

Hi! I am having trouble grasping/implementing the correct procedure to properly map domains to sub-sites off of my main site.

For example my main site is makeyourcvstandout.com and then a subsite off of that (the one I am trying to map) is makeyourcvstandout.com/peytonadkins

I own the domain name peytonadkins.me that I want to map to go to the makeyourcvstandout.com/peytonadkins

I think I am confused on all it is that I need to change. Right now it won't let me add the peytonadkins.me to the domain mapping plugin on my dashboard for the makeyourcvstandout.com/peytonadkins site.

The peytonadkins.me was bought from GoDaddy, my hosting is BlueHost.

I'm at a loss!

Advice?

• Milan

Hello @peytonadkins91,

I hope you are well today and thanks for asking me. :slight_smile:

Just want to make sure if you have added a DNS "A" record pointing at the IP address of your server?

You need to map the A record to the IP of your site first or and then use the domain mapping plugin to actually map the domain to the specific path. As long as the A is set correctly and the domain is mapped in Domain Mapping, the domain mapping plugin will handle the rest.

You will find detailed instructions in the plugin's usage guide.

Please advise.

Cheers,
    Milan

• William

Ah help! Looks like whatever I did messed something up...big time.

I tried re-doing the steps that the usage guide provides and found that define sunrise code was out of place, so tried to change it and now everything seems to have broken down. Attaching screen shots of what I am seeing....I have a wp-config.php file in the wp-content folder then a wp-config-sample.php in the public_html, not by my design but more than likely by a mistake. now that those are there wordpress acts like it has never seen me before? what happened?

• Milan

Hello @peytonadkins91,

I am not sure how your wp-config.php file got placed inside wp-content directory. Wordpress system never does this automatically. At max it creates wp-config.php file based on parameter specified during installation inside your site's root directory.

Have you place there manually ? Anyway what if you cut down file from your wp-content directory and paste it to your site's root folder where wp-config-sample.php is residing ?

Cheers,
    Milan

• Milan

Hello @peytonadkins91,

Hope you are doing well and thanks for informing us about steps you have taken. :slight_smile:

Now please do this in order to verify everything is properly setup on your end.

#1) Contact your hosting provider and ask them what are their nameservers. Once you have nameserver information of your hosting provider add those nameservers ( there will be 2 in most cases ) to your goDaddy domain's nameserver management panel.

#2) After this setup, point your A record to dedicated ip which you have for your website.

You will have to wait for sometime because DNS propagation takes some time. In most cases it takes 24 to 48 hours to reflect your changes.

Conduct above steps and let me know how it goes for you afterwards. :slight_smile:

Cheers,
    Milan

• William

Hey Guys I am really in need of some help, I've been trouble shooting this alone for quite a while and nothing is working. I need specific directions on what needs to be set up and where. I also now have a dedicated IP address.

So in GoDaddy the url makeyourcvstandout.com has Nameservers pointed to NS1.bluehost.com and NS2 bluehost.com and there are no A records set up on Godaddy.

At bluehost I have A records set up w/ "@" pointed towards my dedicated IP address.

So what am missing here? Do there need to by A records at both GoDaddy and BlueHost?

Once the main site is set again how do I map sub-directories? Is that any different?

Please help!

• Adam Czajczyk

Hello William!

I think we could try a bit different approach here. Since your site is hosted on Bluehost but the "domain to be mapped" is on GoDaddy try this please:

1. Make sure that when you type your IP address, the main site of your Multisite network loads
    2. Remove domain-to-be-mapped from your BlueHost server entirely and make it "stick" to default GoDaddy name servers
    3. then on GoDaddy set A record for that domain to point to your IP

After the DNS'es are updated typing your "domain to be mapped" into the browser's address bar should load your main site as well. When this works, you're good to go and you should be able to use Domain Mapping to map that domain.

Unless we're missing something here, it should do the trick.

Give it a shot please and let me know if it worked!

Best regards,
    Adam

• Adam Czajczyk

Hello William

I think this should help but of course in case it didn't, I'll work with you all the way until we get it up and running as expected.

I've now visited both your domains and none of them loads anything for me at the moment which makes me wondering if you changed DNS'es for right domains. However, I'll wait with any further troubleshooting for your report on this :slight_smile:

Best regards,
    Adam

• Adam Czajczyk

Hello William!

The "This site cn't provide a secure connection" message suggests that there's no SSL certificate implemented for peytonadkings.me domain. SSL certs are issued for specified domains and cannot secure other domains.

For example, if the certificate covers "makeyourcvstandout.com" only, any other domain will cause security warning.

I visited both domains via http and https connection and I'm guessing that trying to solve this you have made some additional changes, is that right? I think it would be better to revert changes to the state from this post of yours:

https://premium.wpmudev.org/forums/topic/i-am-having-trouble-graspingimplementing-the-correct#post-1053876

The screenshot comes from Domain Mapping and as you said both domains were pulling your main site - that was really close and I think we could work further from that point. Could you please revert to this state and then grant me an access to your site via our WPMU DEV Dashboard plugin?

Here's a handy guide on how to do this:
    https://premium.wpmudev.org/manuals/wpmu-dev-dashboard-enabling-staff-login/

Best regards,
    Adam

• William

Hey Adam,

All of the links seem to be working now from my end. will you try again?
    These three should all be active and going to the correct place now
    Makeyourcvstandout.com
    peytonadkins.me
    makeyourcvstandout.com/peytonadkins (which should lead to peytonadkins.me)

As far as the certificates go will you make sure it is set up correctly? and I guess let me know what I did to fix the problem ha! I'm not really sure

Thanks Adam!

• Adam Czajczyk

Hello William!

Here's what I got:

- the "makeyourcvstandout.com" loads a "makeyourcvstandout.com" site with a green background and a message that says "The domain makeyourcvstandout.com is no longer parked by GoDaddy"

- the makeyourscvstandout.com/paytonadkins domain loads a makeyyourcvstandout.com/paytonadkings site (the same background and look as above)

- the paytonadkings.me domain loads a makeyourcvstandout.com/paytonadtkings site (the same background and look as above).

Assuming that both your main site and /paytonadkins site does indeed contain nothing but that message on green background, that would seem these two are working.

I'm not sure however why peytonadkings.me redirects me to makeyourcvstandout.com/paytonadtkins. Have you setup any redirects? Or is the domain added to your server pointing to that sub-folder?

I really don't want to say this but I'm lost here being confused of what should the end result that you wish to achieve be. I'm sorry for making this thread more complex and asking more and more questions but hopefully this will lead us to a final solution :slight_smile:

Best regards,
    Adam

• William

Hey Adam-

Currently I have both makeyourcvstandout.com and peytonadkins.me setup in GoDaddy with A records that are pointed to my dedicated IP address using GoDaddy's default nameservers.

Makeyourcvstandout.com should pull up a site that is currently only showing Upfront's Scribe template.

Makeyourcvstandout.com/peytonadkins should pull up a site using Luke+Sara's template. the goal is to get peytonadkins.me mapped to makeyourcvstandout.com/peytonadkins using the mapping plugin.

I'm getting the green screen right now too but NO idea why. Thoughts? I granted access for you so if you need to go in and take a look around let me know.

Peyton

• Adam Czajczyk

Hello William,

Thanks for your response!

It seems it's all working now (hurray!). The "makeyourcvstandout.com" loads main (default Scribe) site, and both "makeyourcvstandout.com/peytonadkins" and "peytonadkins.me" are loading now the same "W. Peyton Adkins" site (definitely based on Luke+Sara) while "makeyourcvstandout.com/peytonadkings" redirects to "peytonadkings.me".

I think that's what you wished to achieve and I think it's now working. The "green background" sites I think were a result of what I call "dancing DNS'es". Usually DNS settings take time to properly propagate across the web and during that time results of trying to load the site can be pretty "weird".

Usually, these DNS settings propagate quite fast but that really depends on provider and some additional factors and I know of cases when it was even up to 72 hours! I think this was the final issue here.

Could you please double-check your sites and confirm that it's all working fine now?

Best regards,
    Adam

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.