i am highly frustrated with this WP stuff. I heard its good

i am highly frustrated with this WP stuff. I heard its good and fairly simple to follow, but compared to drag n drop website builders, I'm about to cancel all this WP stuff and be done.

i need someone to walk me through this. please assist me.

• Jennifer
    • Flash Drive

for the home page: how do I remove the post and make it into a page that i can add text to... but still have the sidebar.

maybe i have the wrong theme.I'm using the Rundown theme.

i like the coraline theme, but the text doesnt have a background to it so it makes it hard to read the text.

The responsive theme has a lot of good features, but the format isnt flowing with the background I have. I need a theme that has a good variety of page templates. any suggestions.

• PC
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

Hello there Jennifer,

Thanks for posting on the forums.

Sorry to hear that you are finding it hard to follow but we are here to assist :slight_smile:

for the home page: how do I remove the post and make it into a page that i can add text to... but still have the sidebar

You can set your homepage to be a page via

Settings >> Reading

That will allow you to choose a home page as a static page. Then you can add text etc.

If you want to have a sidebar on the homepage, that really depends on if your theme has a sidebar template for a page.

When you create a page, you should see page attributes in the right sidebar, just check if the sidebar template options is there ?

Currently we do not have responsive themes apart from : https://premium.wpmudev.org/project/simplemarket/ but I am sure that with the current theme you are using, we do have a sidebar option for pages. Can you send me a copy of the theme on our email.

Email : contact[at]wpmudev.org
    Subject : "Attn: PC"

Cheers, PC

• Jennifer
    • Flash Drive

i see page attributes and templates... but none of the template options has a side bar. I'll email it.

I'm using the edu-clean theme but I can change it if necessary. I have a specific background that I need to use so I think that's why I'm having a hard time picking a theme.

• PC
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

Hey there Jennifer,

Thanks for your post.

I see that you have recently changed themes and using coraline theme. Let me know if you need instructions of increasing font size on this theme.

is there a way to change what i have on the sidebar based on the page?

Something like : https://premium.wpmudev.org/blog/how-to-use-conditional-widgets-with-wordpress-and-why-theyre-awesome/ can help you achieve different widgets on different pages.

http://wordpress.org/plugins/widget-logic/ is also a great option :slight_smile:

How do I change the footer text?

If your current theme supports editing the Footer text via Theme options, you can change it here.

Or you can edit the Footer.php file in order to add your custom text there.

You can use Child themes for better control and make sure your changes are update proof. Here is how to use them : http://codex.wordpress.org/Child_Themes#How_to_Create_a_Child_Theme

It will however take a bit of reading and experiment testing.

I am around if you get stuck while making a child theme :slight_smile:

Cheers, PC

• David H
    • The Crimson Coder

@Jennifer
    Sorry to hear of your frustrations. Wordpress is a great tool and really can be as simple or complex as you want it to be.
    Of course there is always bound to be a bit of a learning curve involved so please try to stick with it, you'll be pleased in the end I am sure.

One thing to bare in mind though is this is by no means anything like a hosted site builder solution like 1&1 for example. It is a lot more involved and has greater scope for advancement.
    Hope you find your way.
    David

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.