I am installing the Domain Mapping plugin. I very closely

Hi:

I am installing the Domain Mapping plugin. I very closely followed each and every step.

After mapping a domain (i.e. xyz.com to a sub-directory on my multi-site), I am getting this in the browser:

I get a 404 or some sort of server page, why?

Chances are your not using a dedicated IP or you have some issue with your htaccess file, please check those out first.
You may also wish to double check your permalinks and re-save them again.

Can you explain exactly what I need to look for and potentially fix with the htaccess and the permalinks?

Also, anything else to get this to work?

:slight_smile:

Greg

• PC
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

Hello Greg,

Greetings and thanks for your post.

Sometimes its just the DNS changes which take time.

Have you got a dedicated IP or you are on a shared hosting ?

On the domain you are mapping to the site, did you create an A record to the Dedicated IP of your hosting ?

Please advise.

Cheers
    PC
    Sales &Support

• Greg
    • The Exporter

It is unlimited faster shared hosting. I did point an A Record to the dedicated ip address of my primary mulitsite domain...yea.

Is that what u are asking?

I will check it in the morning and see it it just needed some time.

In the meantime, any other thoughts?

• Greg
    • The Exporter

Firefox still says as of 9:30 am est today on Thur:

This happens when I put in the domain in question: http://www.mynewdomain.com>>>;

The page isn't redirecting properly

Firefox has detected that the server is redirecting the request for this address in a way that will never complete.

This problem can sometimes be caused by disabling or refusing to accept
    cookies.

Google still says as of 9:30 am est today on Thur:

This happens when I put in the domain in question: http://www.mynewdomain.com>>>;

This webpage has a redirect loop
    The webpage at http://mysite.com/mysubdomain/ (this is the sub directory that I am pointing the domain name to) has resulted in too many redirects. Clearing your cookies for this site or allowing third-party cookies may fix the problem. If not, it is possibly a server configuration issue and not a problem with your computer.
    Here are some suggestions:
    Reload this webpage later.
    Learn more about this problem.
    Error 310 (net::ERR_TOO_MANY_REDIRECTS): There were too many redirects.

Of course I have tried clearing cookies etc...

Also, I have notice that with I go DIRECT to my subsite now (without using the new domain name) it says this and not accessible:

When I go direct to the sub-site it replace the sub-site URL and the notice URL google refers over to my NEW actual http://www.mynewdomain.com name.

This webpage has a redirect loop
    The webpage at http://www.mynewdomain.com has resulted in too many redirects. Clearing your cookies for this site or allowing third-party cookies may fix the problem. If not, it is possibly a server configuration issue and not a problem with your computer.
    Here are some suggestions:
    Reload this webpage later.
    Learn more about this problem.
    Error 310 (net::ERR_TOO_MANY_REDIRECTS): There were too many redirects.

So, it looks like it is pointing to my multisite IP address but something is making too many redirects or something thereby making BOTH my direct subsite url and my new domain name not to work at all.

What do you think? How can I fix?

Thanks a bunch!

• Greg
    • The Exporter

Just FYI...when I remove the "Custom Domain" from the Domain Mapping for the sub directory website URL, the http://mysite.com/mysubdomain/ works again just fine.

Also, I did notice this as a note for the Domain Mapping plugin under the NETWORK ADMIN SECTION, but was a little leery about doing it. Would this be the reason why it is not working and should this be tried?

If you are having problems with domain mapping you should try removing the following lines from your wp-config.php file:.

define( 'DOMAIN_CURRENT_SITE', 'MyCoreMultisiteDomain.com' );
    define( 'PATH_CURRENT_SITE', '/' );
    define( 'SITE_ID_CURRENT_SITE', 1 );
    define( 'BLOG_ID_CURRENT_SITE', 1 );
    Note: If your domain mapping plugin is WORKING correctly, then please LEAVE these lines in place.

If you have a better solution it would be a little more preferable because that seems like a lot to just remove and would not want to create other problems etc?

Thanks again...please let me know ASAP...kinda need to get passed this quickly so I can move on...I know your busy etc but just thought I would throw that out (I am working proactively on resolving and giving feedback as I go)...smile.

• Greg
    • The Exporter

Ok...when I remove the custom domain and then put my http://www.mynewdomain.com in a browser it redirects to http://mysite.com/mysubdomain/ (with the sub domain in the URL). When I put the custom domain back in, then I get the errors again in the browser. So, I know the new domain is properly pointing...just need it to work now.

Side item: My domain register gives the following options to set the domain. Which should be used? I currently have it set to "I have a hosting account with these domains" and forwarding is set to OFF. The only item I have added was the A Record to my multisite dedicated IP address.

If you are hosting your Web site with us (you have a hosting account with us associated with this domain) or you want to Park or Forward your domain, we will automatically set your nameservers for you.

I want to park my domains.
    I want to forward my domains.
    I have a hosting account with these domains.
    I have specific nameservers for my domains.

• Greg
    • The Exporter

I just tried doing this by editing the wp.config.php

It still did not work and behaved the same way per below:

If you are having problems with domain mapping you should try removing the following lines from your wp-config.php file:.

define( 'DOMAIN_CURRENT_SITE', 'MyCoreMultisiteDomain.com' );
    define( 'PATH_CURRENT_SITE', '/' );
    define( 'SITE_ID_CURRENT_SITE', 1 );
    define( 'BLOG_ID_CURRENT_SITE', 1 );
    Note: If your domain mapping plugin is WORKING correctly, then please LEAVE these lines in place.

• PC
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

Hey Greg,

Thanks for the posts.

I am gonna need to have a look at your site to see what is going on there.

Can you please send me your login details via our secure contact form

1: Mark the email to my attention

Attn: PC

2: Include a link of this thread in the email

3: Include FTP and WordPress super admin details.

4: While filling the form, select "I have a different question" from the list.

5: Please include the cpanel details so that I can check the domain DNS settings too

Looking forward for a response on this.

Cheers
    PC

PS : I understand that when there is an issue with the site it really is frustrating however bumping on posts might delay the support response times as we use feed readers and whenever there is a new post, the thread gets pushed down in our feed :slight_frown:

Once you send me the details, I will have a look and see whats going on there, it might take me sometime to get back to you though however I assure you that we are always on top of things.

• PC
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

Hello Greg,

I just had a look at the settings and they seem fine to me.

I wanted to have a look in the wp-config.php to make sure that it has been configured properly, but I do not have proper FTP access for the same. Looks like you have created a separate FTP account for me.

I will send a note to our lead developer Barry on this but I will need to check if the plugin has been installed properly.

The domain does not map to the subsite. It shows the same "pageok" which is displayed when we access the hosting IP.

Can you please send me the admin FTP details and admin Domain control panel details ?

Please advise.

Cheers
    PC
    Sales &Support

• PC
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

Hello Greg,

Greetings and thanks for posting back the details.

I have checked and still can't find anything wrong in the settings.

I have sent a note to our lead developer @Barry to help out. He should be here sooner than later.

I am sending all the details to him in the emails so that he has them handy as required.

Cheers
    PC
    Sales &Support

• Greg
    • The Exporter

Hi Pranaya:

I got your message about sending to your lead developer etc.

I am just following up.

I noticed it shows something a little different now "HTTP Error 404. The requested resource is not found." when trying to go to the domain that we are trying to point to the sub-directory...So, I guess someone is trying to do something on it...smile.

Do you think we will be able to have it fixed pretty soon?

Right after it is fixed, I plan on adding several other domains and sub-directories (once it is working).

Thanks Pranaya...

Reference: https://premium.wpmudev.org/forums/topic/i-am-installing-the-domain-mapping-plugin-i-very-closely#post-453191

Greg

• PC
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

Hello Greg,

Thanks for posting back.

I am still waiting to hear from our lead developer @Barry and I have already sent him the login details.

He should be here sooner than later and will post his response once he has checked the issue.

Cheers
    PC
    Sales &Support

• Greg
    • The Exporter

Hi Pranaya,

@Barry

I'm sorry to have to contact you again...but, I am just letting you know I have not heard anything yet still...Can you please have him look into it asap? I am tied down until this is working...smile.

Thanks Prayana...

• Greg
    • The Exporter

Hi @Barry :

I appreciate you chiming in...thanks a bunch!

I thought that Pranaya sent you all the info. I can send it to you on the private messaging through the Contact form and put it to your attention. You will have all the info and login credentials as well. If you would, please post back here to confirm when you received it and that you have all you need...smile.

Thanks Barry...will be sending in a few min.

Greg

• Greg
    • The Exporter

Hi @Barry just to let you know I sent everything via the Contact Form and put it to your attention and selected "I have a different question". It has the info you asked for and all login info for the primary FTP, primary Domain DNS login, and Super Admin for Wordpress....Greg

• Barry
    • DEV MAN’s Mascot

The domain you are trying to map doesn't resolve to anything - have you set up an A record in your DNS with the IP of your server?

When I run a DNS check against the domain I get "The domain literal has no address records."

I am installing the Domain Mapping plugin. I very closely followed each and every step.

I'm beginning to doubt this :slight_smile:

UPDATE: I logged into your DNS and there was no main A record, you have a wildcard A record set up - but not the @ one. I've added it, but please log in a see what I mean - my record is the one with @ in the left hand column.

• Greg
    • The Exporter

Hi @Barry:

There was previously nothing at all in the A records. I thought I added the A @ record. I thought that was all that was needed. I thought you added the A * record actually. Anyway, so, maybe there is just a slight confusion here. There was not specific Go Daddy instructions that I remember. Anyway, after waiting some time and it ends up working fine as it should, for the future...

So, in the future, do I have to add both the A @ record and the A * record or just the A @ record by itself so I know? I really thought I put in the A @ record not the A * record...anyway...but, yea, I did go through every step by step (Pranaya also look over everything before contacting you as well and did not see any problems with my initial attempt at configuring it)...smile.

Please just let me know and I will monitor it in about a hour or so to see if it is working...

Thanks Barry...

Greg

• Barry
    • DEV MAN’s Mascot

Just checking in with progress...it still looks like it shows "page ok". I have cleared cache and cookies along with closing and re-opening the browser.

Have you set up your webserver to accept a wildcard domain, or added the domain as a parked domain pointing to your main wordpress install?

• Barry
    • DEV MAN’s Mascot

Have you set up your webserver to accept a wildcard domain, or added the domain as a parked domain pointing to your main wordpress install?

No, you haven't - I've added it for you and now we wait for godaddy to process the request.

• Greg
    • The Exporter

Hi @Barry

Hmmm...please see the attached.

It looks like it is set for "I have a hosting account with these domains".

Do I need to set it for "I want to park my domains"?

This is specifically for the domain I want to point (not sure why they use the plural in referring to this).

Greg

• Barry
    • DEV MAN’s Mascot

Do I need to set it for "I want to park my domains"?

This is specifically for the domain I want to point (not sure why they use the plural in referring to this).

The domain you are mapping is not listed in your domains list in the hosting admin area of your site. I've not idea what that message on the screenshot you have posted means.

I added it to your hosting area and it now goes to your main site.

• Greg
    • The Exporter

Hey @Barry

Were you using the the Pranaya login credentials or the primary credentials I sent you earlier today?

You mean inside the Go Daddy hosting admin right?

If you use the primary I sent you you should see it.

Anyway, it looks like it is working now...awesome...thanks!!!

However, one last thing, would you be so kind as to please give me some screenshots (or a step by step of what you changed to make it work) of exactly what you did regarding your last post so I know what I need to do in the future with Go Daddy?

The domain you are mapping is not listed in your domains list in the hosting admin area of your site. I've not idea what that message on the screenshot you have posted means.

I added it to your hosting area and it now goes to your main site.

Then, I think we will be all set...I can then close this thread...I just want to be clear...sorry...smile.

Greg

• Barry
    • DEV MAN’s Mascot

However, one last thing, would you be so kind as to please give me some screenshots of exactly what you did regarding your last post so I know what I need to do it the future with Go Daddy?

Already did - see above. I was using the credentials you sent me through, as soon as I added that domain it worked.

Note the "I have a hosting account with these domains" - you didn't, I added the the domain to the hosting account. The DNS setup (which you have posted a screenshot message) is different from your hosting account - they are two steps you need to complete *before* you set up the domain mapping plugin as otherwise you could lock yourself out of the mapped domain.

• Barry
    • DEV MAN’s Mascot

So, in the future, do I have to add both the A @ record and the A * record or just the A @ record by itself so I know? I really thought I put in the A @ record not the A * record...anyway...but, yea, I did go through every step by step (Pranaya also look over everything before contacting you as well and did not see any problems with my initial attempt at configuring it)...smile.

No, only the @ record, which was the one missing. The * record sets up a wildcard subdomain record, which you aren't really going to use.

• Greg
    • The Exporter

2 questions:

1. is there a way to have domains automatically added to the root directory when people purchase and pro sites so the domains to not have to be manually add it to the truth to make it work for them?

2. if I started using Pro sites with subdirectories, and then later decided to you switch to a totally new multi site installation and wanted to move any clients from subdirectories in the current installation to the new multi site location (new main multisite domain and possibly even a different host such as hostgator) using subdomains instead would that be a pretty easy transition?

if you would please let me know and also details of how etc...

• Barry
    • DEV MAN’s Mascot

1. is there a way to have domains automatically added to the root directory when people purchase and pro sites so the domains to not have to be manually add it to the truth to make it work for them?

Do you mean having your system integrated with your hosting account to add the domain to your webserver set up?

2. if I started using Pro sites with subdirectories, and then later decided to you switch to a totally new multi site installation and wanted to move any clients from subdirectories in the current installation to the new multi site location (new main multisite domain and possibly even a different host such as hostgator) using subdomains instead would that be a pretty easy transition?

If they were using mapped domains, yes - if there are any that aren't then no, you'd have to build a system to rewrite / redirect the sub-directory blogs to the new locations.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.