I am just getting a new site going. Tonight we had 9

I am just getting a new site going. Tonight we had 9 chatters in the room at the same time.

"Who's Online" shows only 3
"Active Users" shows only 6
"Members" show only 5.

1. Why the discrepancies? I want all active and online members to show please.
2. How do I increase the number of Members showing?
3. I have "Show Entered/Exited Messages enabled for 2 seconds but we are never notified of people entering or leaving.
4. When people click on the link of a member they get taken away from the chat room. How do I have the profile open in a new window please.

Thank you.

• Ash

Hello @Mary

I hope you are well today.

1. Why the discrepancies? I want all active and online members to show please.

Who's online is not our Chat widget, it's buddypress widget. Buddypress counts an user offline when the user is inactive for 15 mins. You can change the duration using the following code:

add_filter( 'bp_user_query_online_interval', 'bp_user_query_online_interval_cb', 99, 1 );
    function bp_user_query_online_interval_cb( $min ) {
      return 180; // 180 is minutes here
    }

You can add those codes in your functions.php in the theme, if you think your theme won’t be changed. Otherwise mu-plugins is the best solution. To use mu-plugins, go to /wp-content/ and find the folder with name 'mu-plugins'. If there is no folder in that name, then create a folder, name it 'mu-plugins', create a file inside that, give any name you like and paste the code in there. You don't need to activate that plugin. Mu-plugins means must use plugins, so it will be activated automatically always. If you use mu-plugins then add a php start tag at the beginning of the code.

2. How do I increase the number of Members showing?

This is another BuddyPress widget. In the widget you can set the max number of members to show, please check screenshot.

3. I have "Show Entered/Exited Messages enabled for 2 seconds but we are never notified of people entering or leaving.

I can confirm the issue in my test site, so I am marking this as a bug and letting the developer know.

4. When people click on the link of a member they get taken away from the chat room. How do I have the profile open in a new window please.

I can't replicate this in my test site, it always open in a new window in my test site. So, I think it's a theme conflict. Would you please check the issue activating default theme? Please let me know.

Cheers
    Ash

• Mary

My goodness, what an excellent response. Thank you so much!

1. I have placed the code you so graciously provided in the functions.php of my child theme.

2. I knew that I had seen that option somewhere. I just couldn't find it. I actually had it set to 16 but only five members are showing. We are just getting started with my testers but we have 15 subscribed members so why would they not show up when I have the widget set to 16?

3. I changed the Enter/Exit time from 2 to 30 and now it does appear. Perhaps it was showing before and it was just too quick for me to see.

4. I tried to duplicate the issue of clicking to view profiles and losing the chat room window by changing to twenty-fifteen theme but nothing works at all. I'm wondering if I explained myself properly when I first described this issue. What is happening is that when you click on a profile it appears in the chat room window/page, so you cannot view both profile and chat at the same time. I would like the profile to come up in a different window so that I could keep it open while still chatting. Is that possible?

Thank you so much for all your help.

• Ash

Hello @Mary

2. I knew that I had seen that option somewhere. I just couldn't find it. I actually had it set to 16 but only five members are showing. We are just getting started with my testers but we have 15 subscribed members so why would they not show up when I have the widget set to 16?

Did all 15 members login at least once? Please note, buddypress count as a member only when you are logged in at least once.

4. Yes, I think I am confused now. Do you mean the member widget? Or would you please post a full page screenshot and mark the area of "View Profile" so that I can get an idea?

Cheers
    Ash

• Mary

2. Thank you. I did not know that. I thought if they registered that they would be considered a member. However right now we are still showing just five members, and I know that at least 12 of our members have logged in because I've been in the chat rooms with them. Also, if I click Newest,, Active and Popular I get five different people with each one.

4. I have attached two screen shots. The first is of the chat room and the second is when I click on a member profile - I loose the chat room. I'd like it to open in another window or tab.

Thank you again!

• Ash

Hello @Mary

2. Thank you. I did not know that. I thought if they registered that they would be considered a member. However right now we are still showing just five members, and I know that at least 12 of our members have logged in because I've been in the chat rooms with them. Also, if I click Newest,, Active and Popular I get five different people with each one.

Would you please enable support access again?

And thanks for the screenshot. Sorry, maybe I didn't ask the question correctly :slight_frown:

I know what you mean, but I wanted to know, in chat page exactly where you click to view the profile? Like I marked in the attached screenshot?

Please let me know.

Cheers
    Ash

• Ash

Hello @Mary

Would you please try the following code in your theme's footer.php?

<script type="text/javascript">
    jQuery(function($) {
      $('#members-list a').attr('target', '_blank');
    });
    </script>

This highly recommended to use a child theme in this case, as the changes will be lost when you will update the theme. You can learn more about child theme here: http://codex.wordpress.org/Child_Themes

Hope it helps :slight_smile: Please feel free to ask more question if you have any.

Cheers
    Ash

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.