I am not asking for a critique of my site at www.powerplant2100.com. Rather, I would like my attenti

see above

• Thomas

I am not asking for a critique of my site at http://www.powerplant2100.com. Rather, I would like my attention directed toward some possible software that might be implemented to improve the functionality of my site as a place that visitors would go to get information pertinent to innovations in energy production from renewable sources. It is not that I want somebody to offer a personal opinion about what is visually appealing to them.

Because I am a newbie to Wordpress and to wpmudev, there might be themes, plugins, widgets, etc that I should consider but am not aware of. An expert could point out one or two possibilities to me in very short order. Thank you.

• pxwm

HI @Thomas

I've checked your site out and it is a good start but I did find the theme very basic.

I would suggest as a minimum you need to develop a header that includes a logo, strap line and method of contacting you so visitors to the site are clear what is being offered.

Then I would suggest you need to have a brief paragraph on the Home page what the main aim of the site is and what you are offering.

Then suggest you balance the page content with images and text so it appeals to a wider audience otherwise you are going to switch off those that don't like the detail.

Do you have any ideas about the type of design (style/format/navigation/colours) for the site?

e.g. Have you come across any sites that you like?

We offer bespoke in-house Wordpress designs

For info: The 'Energy Island' link on the Home page opens a new tab and it is normally best to only open a new tab when you are navigating away from your site
    The 'New Hoover Dam' link on the Home page is broken and navigates to a 404 error.

Hope you find the feedback useful

Regards
    SteveB

• Thomas

Thanks for your reply, Steve.
    I agree about the need for a header, strap line, orienting paragraph, and graphics to give relief to the detailed text.
    Yes, about colours -- I like blue, grey, and black because they are consistent with content that is meant to be authoritative and scientific. Nothing gaudy. Can you suggest a couple wpmudev themes that you think might work for me?
    If I choose to purchase bespoke software from wbmudev, would that software likely need to be updated when I updated my Wordpress software to a newer version, e.g., from 3.5.2 to 3.6 ? Would future updating, if needed, be included in the original cost of the software?
    Does your answer apply to other softwares from wpmudev like plugins and widgets as well as to themes?
    Your expert observations and suggestions are appreciated. Thank you.
    Tom Manaugh

• Tom Eagles

@Thomas

My main gripe with the site just as a heads up is the large image used in the front page even with a fast download it takes a while to load. What i would consider though is maybe including embedded videos that illustrate some of the technologies and to illustrate your points.

Who is your target audience i read through your about section and it seems you are appealing to wider audience than just the scientific community, you need a way to engage those not scientifically minded and make it interesting maybe some interactive media type applications running on there.

As far as themes go again it really depends on your audience is the content on the front final and its just a cosmetic change you are looking for?

Here are a few based on colours similar to yours. Although colours etc can all be modified to suit your needs.

https://premium.wpmudev.org/project/buddypress-business-theme/
    https://premium.wpmudev.org/project/buddypress-corporate-theme/

If I choose to purchase bespoke software from wbmudev, would that software likely need to be updated when I updated my Wordpress software to a newer version, e.g., from 3.5.2 to 3.6 ? Would future updating, if needed, be included in the original cost of the software?
    Does your answer apply to other softwares from wpmudev like plugins and widgets as well as to themes?

As far as support and updates go as long as you have an active subscription you have access to our updates and support. You could always cancel and sign up again when an update is released,

The themes and plugins will continue to function after your subscription expires should you decide to cancel, you will just lose access to support and updates as mentioned above, you may continue to use them on as many sites as you wish.

As steve kindly mentioned about themes take a look at a few sites you like and come back and we can advise you further on this one,

Cheers

• Thomas

Steve and Tom:

Thank you for your excellent observations and suggestions.

I updated the site with means to allow visitors to not wait so long to see the home page: (1) optimized images, (2) moved large image down below the fold and activated a plugin to allow views prior to complete download of images below the fold, and (3) activated a speed-up plugin.

The header image I created looks a bit amateurish, but I have a graphics artist working on an improved version. The image contains text that orients visitors to the site's purpose.

The purpose is further explained in the paragraphs that are prominent in the above-the-fold position that is seen when a visitor comes to the site.

Today, I will add a "Contact" page.

My target audience is anybody who wants to be informed about current developments in combating global warming by replacing power generation from burning fossil fuels with generation from safe, clean renewable energy sources. Anybody who has been paying attention knows we are not winning that fight. Increased awareness and bigger thinking are needed from the public, scientists, engineers, political leaders, business people, etc.

I want the site to become an effective way for me to establish communications/relationships with potential investors/collaborators who would be interested in helping me to develop my Energy Island invention. Do you have any suggestions about making the site attractive to that specific audience?

• Tom Eagles

@Thomas

Other than whats mentioned above take a look at other sites in the same field and see what they have done. It's a bit hard to advise someone on such a niche field.

The key to this is to make your content relevant easy to understand, treat it like it were a face to face presentation to a potential investor, is everything there they need to know in an easy to digest format with all the relevant facts figures etc available.

Hope this helps.

Cheers

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.