I am planning to setup a network on our companies internal

Hi,

I am planning to setup a network on our companies internal servers.
Right now we're having one site setup but it grew quite a bit so I want to split this up a little bit in order to keep some functionalities separate from others.

I'm wondering what the best way is to get the the users transferred over from the old page to the new one. I tried SQL import yesterday but this causes some error messages and some users were shown red for no obvious reason.

Is there a maybe a good plugin which could do that for me. Ideally I want to import all users from the old page to the main network user database and from there assign them to the various sites.

Appreciate any input. Thanks!

Marcel

• Sajid

Hi @mtupuschies,
    Hope you are doing good today :slight_smile:

So basically you want to migrate from WordPress single site to WordPress Multisite environment, if I understood correctly.

In this case please see this manual to enable WordPress Multisite and also see Ultimate Guide to WordPress Multisite to get an idea of how actually it works.

Once you are done with it then you can add users in your subsites within netowrok.

Hope that helps! Feel free to post a reply if you need further assistance or its not what you are looking for.

Take care and have a nice day :slight_smile:
    Cheers, Sajid

• Marcel

Hi Sajid,

thanks for the response and sorry for the late response on my end.
    I have been playing around with it and was able to setup a network with no issue - I created one from scratch.
    However when it comes to migrating the users I'm running into a bit of issues.

I created a CSV backup of both, the current "users" and "user_meta" table. I then imported this data to the database of the new network.
    I then had some issues with a login redirect loop for my account - however this I was able to solve with clearing caches.
    But when going to the Network Settings > Users strange things happen.
    While I see all the users in the table and am able to search for them - the user count above the table shows "ALL(1) - SuperAdmin(1)" So only the one account created.
    These users also are not part of the Main Network Site and would need to be added manually which is a bit painful.

Would you know an alternative way how to transfer the users from a Wordpress installation to this new network including their metadata so these are already part of the main site?

Or alternatively: Is it possible to covert the existing page with all the content into Network and would this way all the user data remain the same for the main site?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Marcel

• Panos

Hello @mtupuschies,

Importing existing users to a different wordpress installation may cause some issues.

I would suggest to try convert your original site directly to multisite, but I strongly recommend to keep a backup of your database and files first.

You can use our Snapshot plugin to keep a full backup so in case something goes wrong you can recover you site.

It would also be a good idea to try this in a testing site first :slight_smile: Create a new wordpress site and then you can import the backup so your testing site is similar to your original. You will also need to install Snapshot plugin in the testing site. Then try to convert your testing site to multisite and see how this affects the users.

Please let us know how this works for you or if you need any further assistance or clarification on the Snapshot plugin!

Kind regards,
    Panos
    You can also export the backup and import it in a fresh wordpress installation and then

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.