I am preparing to move to a new host on Monday.

Should my site be able to migrate intact?

Once it has moved, I will be splitting the content into 3 websites , each with a different focus (health, recipes, professional training). What is the easiest way to accomplish this? Would it be to copy the website 3 times then delete what I don't want from each site?
Or, if I want to keep more of what the spirit them originally looked like, is there a better way?

• Ivan

Hey there Judith,

Hope you are having great weekend so far!

I see you added quite a lot of customization and content to the site.
    In my opinion should be easier to just copy the current site 3 times and then delete the content you don't want.

Should my site be able to migrate intact?

There shouldn't be any problems with the content as long as you copy all the files and the database.

Thanks,
    Ivan

• Timothy Bowers

Hey there,

One thing that wasn't clear to me was how you plan to move the sites.

Many hosting companies will help new customers to move their sites to them. If you're using cPanel you can often take a cPanel backup and give this to the new host, then edit the DNS and once it resolves on the new host it will just function like normal.

If you didn't have the backup/restore option, you would take a copy of the DB and all the files for your install. Them import the DB on the new host, and all the files. Once the DNS change has resolved, it should function just like it did before.

We have an article that may help:

https://premium.wpmudev.org/blog/how-to-safely-move-wordpress/

What would I need to do if I wanted the new sites to have more of the original features of the Spirit theme?

This depends on those three sites, are they single sites, or multisites?

I'm going to assume you went the route Ivan advised, first you could set up the site, get the theme right, and then use our Snapshot plugin to take all the settings to each new site. Then you'd manually add the content you need.

I think if you're going to delete more from each site than you keep, it makes sense to not to import all data to each site. But if it's only one or two items you'll remove, maybe it's better to import.

The other thing to consider is if this is three single sites, or one multisite with three subsites. You could use domain mapping if you needed unique domains on all.

You said the 'original features of the Spirit theme', so do you mean the default features?

If that's the case, then just install the theme on each site.

I think I possibly raised more questions there, I just wasn't totally sure of the plan and depending on the route, there could be other options.

Take care.

• Judith

I don't know what 'multisite' means. What I'm envisioning is taking the info that is on my current site, splitting it into 3 distinct topics to create a website for each topic, each with its own URL. The sites would have links to each other.

I don't know what 'domain mapping' is.
    I do mean restore the default settings on Spirit theme and almost start over. I'm not totally pleased with the changes I made the first time around.

• Timothy Bowers

Awesome, most hosts are pretty good like that

Multisite is a different way to use WordPress, basically, it allows you to run multiple WordPress websites from one installation. So you could have:

domain.com
    site2.domain.com
    site3.domain.com

We also have a multisite plugin called Domain Mapping:

https://premium.wpmudev.org/project/domain-mapping/

To save you reading the project page, what this does is allows you to use full domains names on any sub site like:

site2.domain.com could be domain2.com.

It depends on what you will be doing, but before you make any sweeping changes you should look into having single sites vs multisite and decide what works for you. Personally I love multisite, but it's not always for everyone.

Pros of multisite include:

- One actual site to manage (each subsite has it's own admin area)
    - One set of code to maintain and update
    - One login for all site
    - Each site can still have it's own theme and settings

As for cons, well some would say stuff like you have all your eggs in one basket, but if you're hosting them all on the same account you still do anyway. Some claim it's harder to use, personally I disagree, I find it easier.

We have an article on WordPress multisite:

https://premium.wpmudev.org/blog/ultimate-guide-multisite/

I do mean restore the default settings on Spirit theme and almost start over. I'm not totally pleased with the changes I made the first time around.

You would need to run a couple of SQL commands in PHPMyAdmin to reset the theme. I'd advise you have a backup first because you're messing with the DB you don't want to risk something going wrong with a way to restore.

These are the commands:

delete from wp_options where option_name like '%upfront%';

delete from wp_options where option_name like '%spirit%';

The first removes all the settings for Upfront, the second is for the Spirit theme. Once this has been ran it cannot be reversed without a backup (sorry to keep saying this, but be sure you have a backup). You are running this directly in PHPMyAdmin which can be scary the first time you use, you're removing data on the database level rather than through the WordPress admin.

Hope this helps clarify everything. Any more questions, let us know

• Judith

Hi Timothy,
    Thanks for the info. There will most certainly be more questions. I'm really nervous about this stuff since I don't know much about the tech side.
    When you say 'make a back up' exactly how do I do that?
    When I delete the changes I've made to the theme in my phpmyadmin does it wipe out editing I had done on pages, like inserting tables on the pages? Would I need to delete the upfront changes or would it work to only delete the spirit theme changes?

• Timothy Bowers

Hey

When you say 'make a back up' exactly how do I do that?

Is your host using cPanel?

If so, you could backup there and download a copy. Your host can easily restore that if needed, you'd just need to send them the backup. Best to discuss with them what features the hosting package has.

Another option might be our Snapshot plugin, but if something went wrong you'd first have to install WP again and then import the backup. It's not hard, but if you're new to the tech side (forgive me if I'm wrong) then it's something else to learn if you needed to restore.

When I delete the changes I've made to the theme in my phpmyadmin does it wipe out editing I had done on pages, like inserting tables on the pages? Would I need to delete the upfront changes or would it work to only delete the spirit theme changes?

It removes only settings, and the setup of the theme. If you made a post, it shouldn't remove the post. So, if you create a new layout, dragged some stuff around, added a custom logo, some footer text, all this would be wiped. If you created a blog post, the post should remain.

Does this make sense?

If it doesn't then please keep asking, we're here to help

Take care.

• Judith

You are so not wrong. I am new to WP and migrating sites and oh, so very nervous.

I'm not sure what cPanel is. (Does that tell you how new and inexperienced I am?)

All I know for sure is that when I needed to do an FTP for something I used filezilla.

Currently, until we solve the migration issue - my site is at DreamHost. They has some limitations that were messing with my menu - so I bought a hosting package with siteground. They seem to be having problems moving the database. Hopefully I've sent them more info than they need so the site can get moved overnight.

Back to the original issue - I need help with making a backup and I don't know if DreamHost (or SiteGround) use cPanel.

• Tyler Postle

Hey Judith, I'm working alongside Tim here.

Hope you're doing well today!

I believe siteground and dreamhost both use cPanel. I have taken a screencast of my cPanel and illustrated doing a backup

http://screencast.com/t/CMMEazFiXl

Your cPanel may look a little bit different since I'm not on either of those hosts, but for the most part the options on it will be the same and the backup process should be identical.

If you don't see the backup option there then you could also contact dreamhost support just to make sure, they will definitely know how to get that done and may even do it for you

If you still have any troubles creating the backup just let us know, we would be more than happy to help further if needed.

Look forward to hearing back Judith!

Cheers,
    Tyler