I am pretty versed in WordPress but don't claim to know

I am pretty versed in WordPress but don't claim to know (much) about programming. I am taking on a project of my own, which will be a local events site that also has a (basically) 'yellow pages' list of local businesses as well. At present, it's nothing but a domain name at this point. I don't want it to look too plain (I have a colorful logo, etc.). My plan was to choose a basic layout/theme I like then 'add' the directory plugin as well as an event plugin (and may want to allow businesses to post their own events, but that remains to be seen). Any suggestions as to the best way (basically) to approach this? Just want to make sure I start with the best 'basic' foundation. I guess the gist of the question is: I am I better off NOT to install some other theme then add these capabilities/plugins (and just stick with the theme offered inside the directory plugin, for instance)?

• Patrick
    • Support Monkey

Hi there @MADink

I hope you're well today, and happy new year! :slight_smile:

As a rule, it's best to leave functionality to plugins, and design to the theme.

So your basic idea is sound: start with a basic theme, and add the plugins as you need the features.

If you need more advanced help with your project, you may want to consider hiring a developer to assist you. Our Jobs & Pros area was specifically created for our members to post jobs & bid on them:
    https://premium.wpmudev.org/wordpress-development/

Please let us know if you need more help with any specifics.

Thanks!

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.