Slow Speeds with WPMU Hub

Firstly Snapshot is not working. I have already configured everything, but it just doesnt go beyong 0% in the backup

Secondly. I am really unhappy with hummingbird. Since the time i have installed hummingbird, I have made the optimizations go to 86, but my google pagespeed performance just keeps falling.

I am really unhappy with the entire WPMU Dev Package and don’t know how to optimize my website. My website was much faster when i was using only the Free Smush and WP Fastest Cache. The WPMU DEV Hub has only been disappointing so far.

• David
    • The Incredible Code Injector

I think being unhappy with WPMU is frankly misleading.

Experience tells me poor servers and hosting will generally be the cause of most of your heartache, so I’d be checking there before pointing the finger.

Love Hummingbird, love Snapshot, Love WPMU, running over 20 sites with all WPMU services and its the best money I spend on WP related stuff.

• Labham
    • New Recruit

Hi David, unfortunately, i am a single site owner and have a pretty efficient VPS 8GB RAM / 200GB SSD Server to my support. But my mobile load speeds are runnning at 8/100 on google pagespeed, despite showing a 86/100 on hummingbird.

Most of the warnings now mention render blocking resources, I will be trying that in next couple of days. But despite having followed all other hummingbird and smush pro recommendations, i have been unable to push up my pagspeed.

• David
    • Site Builder, Child of Zeus

Hi Labhan, I am sorry to hear that you are unsatisfied with WPMU DEV. I must say that I am one of the happy costumers here but asking my self how that is possible that you are so unhappy here.

Please use quick support to solve your problems and try to learn in the process. Hummingbird is a very complex plugin and is getting better and better with every update but there is no way to optimize the page with just point and click plugins as every page is different and you need to understand every advanced options hummingbird offers also some things have to be done on the server level to increase speed.

I also have some sites moved to the hummingbird and notes bad page speed result at the beginning but after some days tweaking and working the results are good. Still learning hummingbird.

I hope you solve your problems and use full potential ow WPMU DEV.

Kind regards.

David

• Adam Czajczyk
    • Support Gorilla

Hello Labham Sogani

I hope you're well today and thank you for reaching out to us.

I'm really sorry to hear that you're experiencing troubles with page speed while using our Hummingbird and Smush. However, before I go into more details, let me just explain some important aspects of that:

1) it's important to know that Hummingbird's Performance Test doesn't actually show "mobile" test. It is based on PageSpeed API (though not the same as actual PageSpeed is using currently) but it's checking the "desktop" on homepage; the score in current PageSpeed might be a bit different for desktop and the "mobile" score is a separate thing

2) there is no and never was a direct and straight relationship between the score result (neither Google PageSpeed nor Hummingbird) and the actual site (or rather tested page) loading speed; these are tests for some most common optimization techniques (and speed "blockers":wink: and even the current Google PageSpeed – even though it does check speed it's still mostly the "statistical" test relevant more to the Chrome browser (as it's based on Lighthouse) rather than an "unbiased" speed test. In the end, speed is always "subjective" and I'd strongly recommend using multiple tools for testing it (like HB Performance test, Google PageSpeed, Pingdom Tools, GTMetrix and this test – which is more complex but actually measures the loading speed – https://www.webpagetest.org/)

3) 8GB and SSD powered VPS – yes, that' sounds pretty nice but the parameters of the physical machine is just one thing that also very often isn't directly reflected in the real site speed because the site speed depends on many more factors, both server-side (like webserver/php configuration, limits set e.g. on php execution, webserver connection, db connections and queries etc) and site-side

That's just an additional explanation though, to give a little background. As for the main issue with the speed. I have checked the site and the Google PageSpeed results for it. It's actually reporting render blocking resources mostly, just like you already mentioned. It's "grading" it differently in case of desktop and mobile (which makes sense because of the way site's are displayed on mobile devices), hence that big score difference.

I can see you got Hummingbird active with Asset Optimization enabled but what could decrease the number of render blocking resources is not actually configured.

You would want to go to the "Hummingbird -> Asset Optimization" page and enable "Advanced mode" there, next to the "Clear Cache" button. This will switch Asset Optimization to give you more granular control over how the assets are handled.

Next to each file there you'll then get not just one but five buttons, as shown on the screenshot below (that's just random file taken from my own site but you'll see the same set of buttons):

The last one on the right (the "eye" icon) can be safely ignored as it lets you actually fully exclude given file from site. Remaining ones are, from left to right, respectively:

– for CSS files: "compress", "combine", "move to footer" and "inline"

– for JS files: "compress", "combine", "move to footer" and "force load this file after the page has loaded"

Please note: some of the buttons in "compress" section are already "grayed out" and that means that given file is compressed (minified) already "out of the box" – so those would be ignored as well.

The goal here is to enable as many of these options for all the files listed there as possible without breaking any site aspects. Since it's not really possible to fully detect such "maximum optimized configuration" in all cases, there are these buttons to let you do this manually. It's a bit daunting task and more of a "trial and error", I admit, but it gives you a way to optimize assets delivery as much as possible on a given setup.

The way to do it is to actually enable aforementioned options for one or two files from the list, save settings, visit site's front-end at least once (to trigger optimization) and check the site if it works fine. If not, you'd need to "experiment" with the "combination" of these enabled/disabled buttons until the site's back and as many of them is enabled and then move on to the next couple of files until you reach the end of the list.

This way you'll get this as much optimized as possible and that alone should increase the score as it would limit the "render blocking resources". Once that's done, it's worth trying whether the WPMU DEV CDN further helps with the score or not (in most cases it will but there are exceptions and that's why it can be switched on/off).

Once that's set up we could then check the site again and see what else/more/next could/should be done to further improve the performance.

Kind regards,

Adam

PS. Thank you David for your kind words, I really appreciate that!

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.