I am running WP multisite, and I want to change

I am running WP multisite, and I want to change the 'admin' username, the one with the super-admin role.

In other words I am using admin as the login for my original highest-level username I used whe I set up Multisite, and I want to change this username to something more secure.

How do I do this without breaking all the sites I've created?

• Patrick

Hi there @dfreeman

I hope you're having a great day!

There are 3 ways you can do that:
    - Add a new user & grant that user super-admin capabilities. Then delete the old one.
    - Use a plugin to change the username (I'm not sure though whether this works for the super-admin user), then delete the plugin to avoid security issues.
    - Change the username directly in the database (in wp_users table).

Here's a handy tutorial to walk you through all of 'em:
    http://www.wpbeginner.com/wp-tutorials/how-to-change-your-wordpress-username/

A few additional pointers too:
    - You may need to delete & re-install your WPMU DEV Dashboard plugin if, after changing the username, you find that you can't access it anymore (it's only available to the user who activates it, unless you define additional users in your wp-config.php file).
    - It would be a good idea to also change the salts in your wp-config.php after changing the super-admin username (it's a good idea to change them occasionally anyway).

I hope this helps! And thanks for being a member :slight_smile:

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.