I am still a bit unsure about how my network of multisites works.

I am still a bit unsure about how my network of multisites works. I have a network set up and I am super admin. I have created two sites. I would like one site to be my main site, and then allow users to create their own sites under this site. So my second site would be the example of one of the users sites.

Can someone run through how Networks work...How do i tell my network that site 1 is the main site, and all other sites are sub sites for users to be created by users.

In addition, If i were to have a create an account/site page under Site 1, what would this entail and how would users create their own sites.

Im not sure if Im getting at what I really need to know, but ive looked over several WPMU and codex things and still cant grasp this.
Thanks

• aecnu

Greetings keldri20 :slight_smile:

when you created the network it created the first initial main site and the Network Administrator side.
    i.e. both are located at your main domain name mynetwork.com for example.

All sites thereafter are sub-sites of the network in the format of sub.mynetwork.com

You said you created other sites - they should be site1.mynetwork.com and site2.mynetwork.com

site1 and site2 are arbitrary and dependent upon what you named them.

Concerning Registrations ..... are you using the Pro Sites Plugin?

Joe :slight_smile:

• Timothy Bowers

Hey keldri20.

but if I understand what you are saying, Site 1 is actually a child page like site 2.

Nope, they are actual sites, they can be on their own sub domain or be mapped to a full domains. So:

clientsite1.yourdomain.com
    clientsite2.yourdomain.com

Could indeed be:

clientsite1.com
    clientsite2.com

Although they are part of the main install, they function independently both with their own admin, posts, pages, themes, plugins and settings.

Within an install, the main domain you use will be the networks home website.

Hope this helps clarify WP Multisite. :slight_smile:

Take care.

• keldri20

Hi Tim,
    I need a main site and then the ability to add new sites too. As I believe i put in a few forums you helped me with... its going to be Etsy like, where etsy is the main site with a super admin, and then new users can create their own site, be the admin, with independent posts, pages, etc..., but it is linked back to the main site via network. So I am assuming the site I installed my network on first is my main domain and the directories(im using directories and not domains) that fall off of that, are the other sites. I dont need to take any further actions to make this the main site, and I can just add a registration page for users to register and start site.

Is there a registration page built in to this so that users can create their sites, and i dont have to set up a new site everytime...i know that I can set up with in the network settings what I want to happen with users and new sites, but a link to a tutorial or reading would be amazing.
    Thanks again for all your help!
    Kate

• Timothy Bowers

Hey again.

Sub folders and sub domains are really the same thing to WordPress, they just look different in their address.

WordPress provides a default signup page for you:

/wp-register.php

Plugins like BuddyPress change the url slug.

For tutorials and help checkout one of our other sites:

https://premium.wpmudev.org/blog/

There is a ton of information on there which you will find useful.

Take care.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.