Creating Classified Site Like Craigslist

I am struggling to re-create a classified ads site similar in look and function as Craigslist. We're using the Canvas theme, and have Wordpress Multi-Site all set up nicely.

Question:
Presently, our multi-site consists of sub-directories for various cities all over the country. When a viewer clicks to view a city, say "Seattle, WA" - - is your Classified Plugin capable of displaying ONLY ads pertaining to Seattle, Washington?

P.S. - - has anyone out there got an example of a completed site using the Classified Plugin? I'm interested to see how it looks and flows! Thanks!

• Adam Czajczyk

Hello May May,

I hope you're well today and thank you for your questions!

As for examples of the sites. Personally I don't use classifieds but I believe some members of our community could share their sites with you so you may want to ask about that on the "Members" forum here:

https://premium.wpmudev.org/forums/forum/members

As for your main question.

Do I correctly understand that there's a Classifieds plugin activated "site by site" (so it's separate on each sub-site) where the sub-site is e.g. for Seattle,WA? You would want then to pull ads from selected sub-site into main site?

Please elaborate a bit on how that should work and what is your multisite's current setup so I could get a better picture of it.

Looking forward to your replay,
    Adam

• May May

Hello Adam - it's possible we don't really need sub-directories, but for now, we're simply copying the format we've observed on Craigslist (which uses sub-domains).

Using WP Multi-Site, if we install your Classified Ad plugin and then activate it to the Network - if a viewer clicked on the sub-directory link for Seattle, WA - - can we configure your Classified plugin to display the Seattle, WA ads within the Seattle sub-directory?

At this point though, ever since we attempted to install the WPMU DEV Dashboard - - our WP site is kind of messed up and generating all sorts of errors like this:

Notice: add_object_page is deprecated since version 4.5.0! Use add_menu_page() instead. in /home/borgec/public_html/wp-includes/functions.php on line 3828

Notice: has_cap was called with an argument that is deprecated since version 2.0.0! Usage of user levels by plugins and themes is deprecated. Use roles and capabilities instead. in /home/borgec/public_html/wp-includes/functions.php on line 4020

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/borgec/public_html/wp-includes/functions.php:3828) in /home/borgec/public_html/wp-admin/post.php on line 197

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/borgec/public_html/wp-includes/functions.php:3828) in /home/borgec/public_html/wp-includes/pluggable.php on line 1179

• May May

I've managed to get rid of most of the error messages - - - my main question here for you is whether I can develop a site with similar functionality as Craigslist using your Classified plugin? Here is Craigslist homepage - - scroll down and see how all locations are listed? And when you click a city, you land on that city's sub-domain with all the ads for that city/sub-domain. Can we use the Classified plugin together with WP Multi-Site to achieve this?

http://craigslist.org

• Predrag Dubajic

Hi May May,

When you network activate Classifieds plugin each subsite will have its own classified posts.
    So let's say you have domain.com which is main site and then you have domain.com/seatle/ as a subsite on your network, if you go to domain.com/seatle/ and create new classifieds there they will only be available on that subsite, they will not be listed on main site or other subsites.

If I understand correctly this is behaviour you're after?

Best regards,
    Predrag

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.