I am thinking about using ClouSE to make the MySQL DB table

I am thinking about using ClouSE to make the MySQL DB table storage engine use Amazon S3 to store the database. This would help scale better. I was wondering if I should even configure multi-DB if I go this route? Or use both?

See: http://www.oblaksoft.com/documentation/

It would be interesting to hear about anyone's experience with ClouSE for multisite.

• Tyler Postle

Hey Adam,

Hope you're doing well today!

Multi-DB is really only useful if you have a lot of blogs, around 5000+ at least on your multisite.

Of course, other variables can come into play here too, but that's a good estimate.

If you are also using a service like ClouSE that will increase your DB's performance then you likely wouldn't need Multi-DB until an even higher number of sites. This of course, also depends on your hosting. Sometimes you can reach the limits of your hosting before your DB.

I haven't used ClouSE myself, but hopefully others here have and can chip in with their experiences :slight_smile:

Cheers,
    Tyler

• Tyler Postle

Hey Adam,

One of my colleagues pointed me to this: http://wordpress.org/support/topic/how-to-install-clouse-on-amazon-rds figured it would be a good link to leave here for you too :slight_smile: It also links to a plugin in there that you can use.

Also, I'm not 100% sure on what the costs are for ClouSE(couldn't find them listed), but if you do decide to use Multi-DB with it, you might want to double check that because if it's priced per DB it would be a pretty heavy price tag!

Cheers,
    Tyler

• adam_fisher

Thanks for your input Tyler. The wp2cloud plugin you mentioned is part of ClouSE and it works with WordPress to make sure media uploads make it into Amazon S3.

The main benefit I see with using ClouSE is the unlimited cheap storage capacity S3 offers for both database and media. The most expensive piece in this architecture would be the web servers. I found Amazon RDS doesn't support installation of third party table engines. It makes the most sense to run MySQL on each web server and treat it like a client to the real data storage mechanism (S3). I think this route could really help scale a website effortlessly but I mainly waffling on whether multiple databases will even be needed at that point.

The one advantage I can think of when using ClouSE with Multi-DB is the ability to more easily manage the tables in a given database. Plus if I ever want to migrate back to normal MySQL storage, it will be easier to migrate the websites in batches instead of all or none. Considering those benefits, I guess it still makes sense to use Multi-DB.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.