I am trying to find the best approach to group sites within a wordpress multisite

Hi,

I am trying to find the best approach to group sites within a wordpress multisite install so they are easily connected.

I guess the closest equivalent would be with edublogs campus level – where all blogs belonging to a college exist in there own network.

I understand though that each campus is essentially a standalone multisite (in crude terms) with sites existing within it.

Assuming separate multisites is the only approach to achieve this type of “hub” the next best thing i am looking for is a way to group individual sites when they are created independently. …

Extending the edublogs example: if 10 teachers signed up independently and created their own blogs and then said they all said they are from “Monsters University” – perhaps via a site category or tag – is there any way to be able to group these automatically. For example if i indexed all sites created on the network and allowed a filter by category or tag?

So in summary is there any way to group sites within a multisite installation (with the aim of improving navigation between them and allowing a Hub style display on the main multisite network.)

Thanks

Chris