I am used to working on a theme owned by Pagelines called

I am used to working on a theme owned by Pagelines called DMS, and I was wanting to potentially start using this theme in the future, but I was hoping to be able to get a theme that starts on a blank page, but I don't see one. The reason I want to use this theme is due to its drag and drop features and the simple functionality of it, I can easily use one of your child themes such as Spirit and delete everything on the page to make it blank slate, I would just prefer not to have to do that if possible.

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

• Adam Czajczyk

Hello Jeff,

I hope you're well today and thank you for your question!

I'm not much familiar with DMS, however I'm sure that our Spirit theme will not play well with any "visual front-end page builder" kind of tool. It's a child theme of Upfront which itself is a "front editor" tool so that's the only way to use it.

That said, I agree that a "blank theme" would be great and especially useful. I know that such a child theme for Upfront is planned and will be released in future. Furthermore, there's even a chance that it may feature a tool that would let you create a layout and then export it as your own "ready to use" Upfront child theme.

This however are plans and I'm not able to give you any ETA on this. Currently, the simplest way to get "blank theme" for Upfront would be to use any of its child themes (e.g. Spirit or Fixer etc) and, as you suggested, remove all elements that are there by default.

If you have any further questions on this, I'll be glad to assist.

Best regards,
    Adam

• Jeff

Do you know if it is possible for me to get a theme such as Spirit for example, get it on my site and delete all the elements, thus creating a blank slate, if it would be possible from this point to save this version of Spirit and use this as my theme for future sites, removing the time to delete the elements on every new project?

Basically, I want to know if I can create my own "blank" version of Spirit or another child theme for now?

• Adam Czajczyk

Hello Jeff!

Do you know if it is possible for me to get a theme such as Spirit for example, get it on my site and delete all the elements, thus creating a blank slate

You may install Spirit on your site, then open its front page, enter "Upfront mode" (by clicking an "Upfront" link in your admin toolbar) and remove all elements one-by-one (by clicking on them and using little red X icon or "Delete" key). This way you'll clear the main page of the site.

After you save this layout, you'll also want to repeat these steps for post listing page and then for posts (by opening any single post, clearing layout and saving it selecting "for all posts of this type" option) and pages (the same way). You should end up with completely clean/blank "canvas".

if it would be possible from this point to save this version of Spirit and use this as my theme for future sites, removing the time to delete the elements on every new project?

Currently, this is not possible with Upfront based themes as there's no "export/import" function. This is a another feature that's about to be added in one of future releases.

I think though there may be a workaround. I've attached a file to this post for you. it's a plugin by one of our staff members that should be able to export/import theme settings. Please note that this is not an official release so I cannot guarantee that it will work as expected on your site and will not cause any troubles but it seems like it should do the trick.

To make use of it, please download the .zip archive and then install it just like any other plugin. After you activate it, go to your dashboard's "Tools" -> "Upfront Themes" page and you'll be given options to export and import theme settings.

Once you create you "blank layout" try exporting it with this plugin. To use it on another site, install the same theme there (e.g. if the export was made for "Spirit" theme, install default "Spirit" theme on another site) and use "import" option.

Let me know if it worked for you please!

Best regards,
    Adam

• Jeff

Hey @Adam Czajczyk,
    I followed your instructions as suggested, downloaded the plugin you suggested, exported it, deleted the current theme, and then reinstalled original Spirit and then imported using the plugin and it worked perfectly. I now have a blank slate version of upfront thanks to you, very much appreciated!

Edit: I actually went back and realized, when I make a new page, it will still have the header and footer global regions, and some content already there due to the default template there, which I figured out how to remove the global regions, but it also got me thinking, is there a way to make an actual template or page layout so say I make 5 pages, and I want 4 to follow the same layout, and one to be unique which would be the homepage. How would I go about getting those 4 pages to follow the same layout without doing it by hand each time?

• Jeff

Alright, thanks @Predrag Dubajic for the plugin, it will work wonders in the future hopefully.

Side note: I have developed an easier way to export the theme and use it later, which is much easier than the above methods. (Technical skill and access to server host required) I am using GoDaddy to host, so if I manage my site and go to the themes (found in wp-content) on my current site and find uf-spirit, you can compress that file and download straight from there (after editing of course, and you can rename this file to anything you want and it would still work, if its easier) to your computer, once it is downloaded you are able to use that theme without even downloading the base theme of Spirit the next time. The above way works just as well, this way is just a little bit easier for and faster for future use we will always have this file, and we don't need to worry about updates to Spirit because we aren't using that theme *technically* anyway, we are just using the upfront tools on a blank page. We also took the liberty of changing the styles.css file in the editor and removing information tying the theme to Spirit since it isn't really spirit anymore, and also changed the theme screenshot.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.