WP comments form not submitting

I am using a custom theme that I purchased and has been modified. As far as I know, the comments section was not touched. However, I am getting an error when I try to submit a comment. It take me to a page stating "Desktop server built on xampp". See here.

I am doing this on a live site. I can provide ftp access if you would like to take a peek at my comments.php file.

Please let me know if you can help me with this.

Thanks,
Judah

• Tyler Postle
    • CGO

Hey Judah,

Hope you're doing well today!

Have you tried temporarily swapping to the default 2015 theme? That way we will know for sure whether it is something in your theme or not :slight_smile:

and do you have a link to a page that has comments enabled so we can check it out?

Talk to you soon Judah!

Cheers,
    Tyler

• Tyler Postle
    • CGO

Hey Judah,

Thanks for your reply!

I just created an account and I'm still not seeing the option to post a comment there. I've posted a screenshot to illustrate all I see at the bottom of the post. This is the same while logged in or out.

Perhaps sending in FTP and WP login(or granting support access) would be fastest here :slight_smile: then I can see what you're seeing and also check your settings.

You can send that privately through our contact form as usual: https://premium.wpmudev.org/contact/

Send in:

Subject: "Attn: Tyler Postle"
    -WordPress admin username
    -WordPress admin password
    -login url
    -FTP credentials (host/username/password)
    -link back to this thread for reference
    -any other relevant urls

Select "I have a different question" for your topic - this and the subject line ensure that it gets assigned to me :slight_smile:

https://premium.wpmudev.org/contact/

Look forward to hearing back!

All the best,
    Tyler

• Judah
    • New Recruit

Hey @Tyler Postle,

Thank you for getting back to me on that.

I have enabled the comments form again. It should be displayed if you're logged in or not. I tested it again was am getting the same issue.

I will send you a contact us request momentarily.

Thanks again!
    Judah

• Tyler Postle
    • CGO

Hey Judah,

Thanks for your reply here. I tested this out and for some reason it sends the user to localhost: http://127.0.0.1/ when submitting comment. I'm assuming you have XAMPP installed on your computer? That's why it sent you to the XAMPP page.

If you swap over to the default 2015 theme does it still do this? This is first time I've seen behaviour like this and is surely a plugin conflict or due to a customization. Your best bet it to narrow it down through plugin/theme conflict checking. Then perhaps we can find the root of the issue; however, if it is due to customizations you or a developer have made, then it would be best to seek support from them as they will know the code best.

All the best,
    Tyler

• Judah
    • New Recruit

Hey @Tyler Postle,

I swapped out the theme (to 2015) and I was still getting the issue.

I am (pretty) sure there are some customizations for this but I am not sure where to look.

Any ideas on how to further troubleshoot this or where to look for the customizations?

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks!
    Judah

• Tyler Postle
    • CGO

Hey Judah,

Hope you're doing well today!

Have you added any mu-plugins? I would make a copy of them then remove them all, that's the most common place to add customizations next to the functions.php and they would remain active no matter which theme is activated, so would still cause an issue in 2015 too.

If it works after removing those, then add them back 1 by 1 until the issue comes back again.

If you're not familiar with mu-plugins, you can find them all via:

/wp-content/mu-plugins

Cheers,
    Tyler

• Judah
    • New Recruit

Hey @Jude,

I ran test to check the differences between your "wp-comments-post.php" file and the one I had on the server but they are the exact same.

Any other suggestions?

I have no idea what to do about this :slight_frown:

Thanks again for the help!
    Judah

• Tyler Postle
    • CGO

Hey Judah,

Sorry for the delay here. It pretty much has to be 1 of 3 things here, either a plugin conflict, a function, or the file itself.

We've pretty much ruled out the 1st 2 options, unless there are custom functions added somewhere else as well - but it's likely that the comments file has an issue. As it's a custom theme I would recommend speaking with the developer of it, they will know the code best and should know where to look :slight_smile:

Once you know what the conflict is then we may be able to help, but without knowing the theme well, finding the conflicting code will be the difficult part :slight_frown:

Let us know if you have any further questions on this.

All the best,
    Tyler

• Judah
    • New Recruit

Hey @Tyler Postle,

I appreciate the help you put into this.

Unfortunately the theme we are using is no longer supported by the original developer. We are also due for a theme change but thats a whole other ballgame.

I will try to figure this one out as the time goes by and keep you updated if I have any breakthroughs.

Thanks again,
    Judah

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.