I am wondering what the best practices are for creating

I am wondering what the best practices are for creating private user profiles. Similar to what we have when using wpmudev.

premium.wpmudev.org/profile/private

Is this a page called profile with a sub page called private with a custom loop in it that pulls in data saved specifically to that user? If not what is it?

Why do some companies (like wpengine) use my.thedomain.com to show your private profile. Is this like making the home page for the subdomain my.thedomain.com a custom template with a loop that pulls in the info about the loged in user?

What are the reasons to use one vs the other?

I have googled this and found some plugins but not any great discussions. If you have good links on the topic please share!

• PC

Hey there,

Greetings and thanks for posting on the forums.

Is this a page called profile with a sub page called private with a custom loop in it that pulls in data saved specifically to that user? If not what is it?

While I am not sure how its coded, I will ask our lead developer for more info on this one.

Its more like a private client area where only the information which the profile owner should see is displayed.

Something like : http://codecanyon.net/item/user-profiles-made-easy-wordpress-plugin/4109874 can be used for this purpose too.

Why do some companies (like wpengine) use my.thedomain.com to show your private profile. Is this like making the home page for the subdomain my.thedomain.com a custom template with a loop that pulls in the info about the loged in user?

That is more like how I would do that too. Its good to keep the private profiles on a different link. No specific reasons for that.

Plugins like http://wp-client.com/ also provide private client areas.

Lets see what @Aaron has to say about it :slight_smile:

Cheers
    PC
    Sales &Support

• Imperative Ideas

WP Client is a solid platform but it takes a whole lot of customization to make it pretty. Trust me, I'm in the middle of an enormous build out right now. Those guys suck at design but a bit of CSS and some additional custom fields can make a night & day difference.

To the original question, modifying a user profile is a lot like building out a custom post type. Hell, if you really want to get your hands dirty you can even link child posts to profiles using Post 2 Posts. I'd need better idea of what you want to do in order to offer guidance.

• wowlookart

Hey guys, thanks so much for the feedback.

My thought was for a Directory listing site. The user would create an account, on their private profile page they put in their listing info. They can go back and edit it etc. Maybe they get updates specific to their listing etc.

You could do this using a custom post type that only that user type has access too, and they would see the wp-admin standard backend. But I would rather them see a sexy page like wpmudev/profile/private.

In my head I am imagining having a restricted page /profile/private/ that is only accessible when logged in. If logged in the page pulls the users listing data from the DB according to their user name. I know this is a high level thought on it but am I starting from the right point?

I think WP-Client is a little too specific in its purpose for what I am looking for. I will look further into the user profiles plugin.

Aaron, could you speak more on using buddypress as a base?

Thanks so much for your responses guys.

• PC

Hey there,

Thanks for posting back.

According to me, it should go with the use of BuddyPress Xprofiles where you can add more components to a users profile and on the frontend the users can choose that which profile component is public or private.

If you have that, I don't think you even need to have separate pages for private and public profiles as the users would themselves see all the private fields from the xprofiles.

Cheers
    PC
    Sales &Support

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.