I am working on a project which I have added to my

Hi,

I am working on a project which I have added to my multisite. I created the site, then was looking at the upfront child themes I have network enabled, I clicked preview on a couple to decide which one to use but just saw a blank page. I decided to activate spirit, but it seems that in trying to preview the other themes upfront has included some of their pages, so I have a mix of pages and menu's, possibly css? Here are a few issues I am having on this project that I hope you can help with:

1. I can't find the home page to link my logo to in the menu header.

2. I'm having problems with the responsive menu, it is breaking when I view on the iphone and showing all items outside of the drop down box, there are lots of menu's available so I think the other site content is confusing things.

3. I would like to display recent posts on the home page for two categories using shortcodes, I tried this:
[display-posts category="category-name" posts_per_page="2"], in a text box as I read somewhere shortcodes are added to text boxes but this didn't work for me.

4. I would also like to add pages that only show posts for a specific category so I can link direct to those posts, so presume shortcode would be needed for this too.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
Scott

• Predrag Dubajic

Hey Scott,

Hope you're doing well today :slight_smile:

When you have multiple issues that are not closely related it would be better to have separate threads so we can keep better track of everything.
    I will answer your questions below but it would help if you split this in multiple threads for.

Blank page usually means there's a fatal error happening somewhere, can you enable debug log in your wp-config.php by replacing define('WP_DEBUG', false); with this code:

// Enable WP_DEBUG mode
    define('WP_DEBUG', true);

// Enable Debug logging to the /wp-content/debug.log file
    define('WP_DEBUG_LOG', true);

// Disable display of errors and warnings
    define('WP_DEBUG_DISPLAY', false);

This will create debug.log file in your wp-content folder that could tell us what is going on.
    Can you please save it as .txt file and attach it here so we can check it out.

I decided to activate spirit, but it seems that in trying to preview the other themes upfront has included some of their pages, so I have a mix of pages and menu's, possibly css?

Each theme has it's own menu and pages that are created on activation so if you decided to go with Spirit you can delete other theme pages and menus.

1. I can't find the home page to link my logo to in the menu header.

When you click on link icon for your logo, select URL and simply paste your home page URL there and that should be it.

2. I'm having problems with the responsive menu, it is breaking when I view on the iphone and showing all items outside of the drop down box, there are lots of menu's available so I think the other site content is confusing things.

I'm not completely sure that I understand this part, I checked your site on Android and iPhone and not sure that I see to what are you referring to.
    This would be good to deal with in separate thread and attaching some screenshots there of what you're referring to :slight_smile:

3. I would like to display recent posts on the home page for two categories using shortcodes, I tried this:
    [display-posts category="category-name" posts_per_page="2"], in a text box as I read somewhere shortcodes are added to text boxes but this didn't work for me.

Shortcodes are indeed added to text boxes and they should work fine but I'm not sure where did you get this shortcode from, do you have a third party plugin that comes with this shortcode?

Also, Upfront comes with Posts element that you can add to your home page in order to accomplish this without the need for shortcodes.

4. I would also like to add pages that only show posts for a specific category so I can link direct to those posts, so presume shortcode would be needed for this too.

This is similar to previous part, you can create new pages with Posts element to accomplish this.

Hope this helps :slight_smile:

Best regards,
    Predrag

• Adam Czajczyk

Hello Scott,

Thanks for sharing debug.log with us!

It only contains a single line and that's an error related to our Integrated Video Tutorials plugin I think. I did noticed however the "/nas" part in URL there and it makes me thinking that you're referring to the site that you're developing in some kind of local environment. Is that right? I guess we're not able to get support access to it?

Can you please shed some light on this?

Best regards,
    Adam

• Scott

Hi Adam,

No local development. It is a multi site, currently hosting 3 sites (all using upfront). Hosted with wp engine. I'm new to multisite, fairly new to Wordpress.

The wp config, didn't have the the 'WP_DEBUG', FALSE , so I just pasted the code above, it didn't produce the debug.log , I had to change the DISPLAY string to TRUE to get it to create the log.

I have granted access to the site and made a note in comments to the site i am referring to, if that helps?

Many Thanks
    Scott

• Adam Czajczyk

Hello Scott,

Thank you for granting access.

I checked your site and it seems that we're dealing here with an instance of recently discovered bug that's causing "Live Preview" button feature not working properly with Upfront. I just wasn't sure of that before but I could confirm that now. That's been already reported to the developers so I'm adding your thread to this report and hopefully they'll be able to fix that soon.

Please note however that their response time may be a bit longer than ours here on support forum. At this moment the only way to "preview" Upfront theme is to enable it. The bright side of it is that you can switch between Upfront themes and none of the customizations you mad should be lost.

That said, please make sure that you keep Upfront and your themes up to date and keep an eye on this thread for further information.

Best regards,
    Adam

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.