I am writing you to address some ongoing nuances

Hi: I am writing you to address some ongoing nuances I am experiencing with the Directory plug-in.

My goal over the next few days is to get a grip on a good Wordpress directory format. I am not sure if my best bet is WPMU Directory or not. I say this because I have been using it since it was launched and been a part of some painful upgrades.

Today I was surfing the web trying to find a good solution that meets my needs. Unfortunately I stumbled across some negative reviews about the WPMU Directory plug-in. Since I have been a paid member for years I thought I would table this here because I am struggling with this plug-in/theme once again.

Hopefully the great support staff can set me straight here. Here's a few questions I have:

1. How to I perform customization of preferred theme as I don't like the default theme I have been using for a couple years. Here's the theme I want to use now which is 100% responsive http://directory.orilliabusiness.com/.
2. Short codes don't seem to work correctly no matter what theme I use. For example how do I get all categories to display on a page? This page http://directory.orilliabusiness.com/listings-2/ has this short code [dr_list_categories style="grid | list"] placed but it only displays categories up to the letter 'F'.
3. Widgets not available in my widget settings for the directory. I want to insert some things on the sidebar like directory tags, ratings etc. Not sure if I am missing something but I cannot find any widget support for this plug-in.

I would really appreciate any advice or help you can offer as I am on a mission to get control over the functionality of this directory.

Thanks a Bunch!

• Jack Kitterhing

Hi there @Rob,

Hope you're well today and thanks for your questions. :slight_smile:

1: Are you trying to edit a theme for compatibility with Directory, or are you trying to edit the default directory theme?

If you could let me know what sort of changes you'd like to make and I'd be happy to advise. :slight_smile:

2: The shortcode could be

[dr_list_categories style="grid"]

Or

[dr_list_categories style="list"]

But not

[dr_list_categories style="grid | list"] :slight_smile:

3: By default Directory doesn't include specific widgets, you can show recent custom post types in a sidebar if that would work for you?

Thanks!

Kind Regards
    Jack.

• Rob

Hi Jack: Thanks for your reply!

Are you trying to edit a theme for compatibility with Directory, or are you trying to edit the default directory theme?

I am trying to edit the theme for the directory that is currently installed. It's not the default theme nor is it a WPMU theme.

If you could let me know what sort of changes you'd like to make and I'd be happy to advise. :slight_smile:

I would like to bring more of the directory features into the picture on the sidebar. Things like tags, highest ratings, newest members, etc

The shortcode could be

I tried both versions and have the same result along with a bunch of none desirable nested div tags. See http://directory.orilliabusiness.com/listings-2/. I also don't like the look and feel [format] of the directory links. It would be awesome if category links would display in 2 columns along with the description. Is that possible with shortcodes?

Also the categories being displayed do not match the ones shown under Listings> Category Name. Please see attached screen shot. If you look at the listings currently displaying there are doubles of some categories. E.g Clothing and Downtown. I have tried to located the doubles and they are not present anywhere I can see in admin.

Thanks again :slight_smile:

-R

• Jack Kitterhing

Hi there @Rob,

Hope you're well today. :slight_smile:

I would like to bring more of the directory features into the picture on the sidebar. Things like tags, highest ratings, newest members, etc

Can you upload your themes sidebar.php in a zip file for me please so I could take a look, we'll most likely have to hard code that. :slight_smile:

For the shortcode issue, could you grant me support staff access please via the WPMU DEV dashboard > support > support access and click "Grant Access".

Thanks!

Kind Regards
    Jack.

• Jack Kitterhing

Hi there @Rob,

Hope you're well today.

Can you send me the following please so I can take a closer look at this for you.

- In the subject field add "Attn: Jack Kitterhing"
    - Link back to this thread
    - Include admin/network access
    - Include FTP
    - Include any relevant URLS for your site

On the contact form, select "I have a different question", this ensures it comes through and gets assigned to me.

I can also grab the sidebar code then using FTP. :slight_smile:

https://premium.wpmudev.org/contact/

Thanks!

Kind Regards
    Jack.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.