I bought smush and now i am confused :(

Hi there,

So I just paid for Smush for my website optimisation and got a few questions.
1) Do I have to upload my 'smushed' photos again onto my website or can i just smush them in my media library and it syncs over?
2) For a lot of my bigger images for my home page i am just getting an error: Skipped (2.8 MB), size limit exceeded. Attachment: 1st-Slide-image-2-2000x1329.png
3) Can you explain what exactly wpmudev is because i signed up for smush and now i am part of this huge database with loads of members...

Hope this makes sense and look forward to hearing from you soon

• Adam Czajczyk

Hello Luke,

I hope you're well today and thank you for your questions!

1) Do I have to upload my 'smushed' photos again onto my website or can i just smush them in my media library and it syncs over?

You don't need to do that. While the images are pushed from your site to our optimization app in the cloud where the entire process takes place, they are then seamlessly fetched back into your site so there's no change in user experience (except of course that the image files a lighter and load faster).

2) For a lot of my bigger images for my home page i am just getting an error: Skipped (2.8 MB), size limit exceeded. Attachment: 1st-Slide-image-2-2000x1329.png

This suggests that you are still using the lite (free) version that must have been installed from the wordpress.org plugin repository. To switch to the Pro version please follow these steps:

1. Go to the "Plugins -> All plugins" page, disable and delete the WP Smush plugin (no images would be removed)

2. Install and enable the "WPMU DEV Dashboard" plugin that you will find here:

https://premium.wpmudev.org/project/wpmu-dev-dashboard/

This is required for WP Smush Pro because it makes use of our cloud apps and API which is available to the members only.

3. After you install and activate WPMU DEV Dashboard plugin, go to the "WPMU DEV" page in your site's backend and login using the same login and password that you used to login to this forum site

4. Then go to the "WPMU DEV -> Plugins" page in your site's backend and user the search field there to install and activate the "WP Smush Pro" plugin.

That way you will fully switch from the lite and limited WP Smush plugin to the full-featured WP Smush Pro and these limits should go away :slight_smile:

3) Can you explain what exactly wpmudev is because i signed up for smush and now i am part of this huge database with loads of members...

Do you want a short or a long answer? :wink:

Long story short: we are the best WordPress development/support company on the planet! But seriously - wait, that was serious...:slight_smile:

Jokes apart though (I hope you don't mind them), WPMU DEV is developer of around WordPress plugins and quite revolutionary WordPress theme (see here: Upfront). We also provide "all WordPress" support 24/7, not only related to our plugins and themes but also other products (including commercial/competitive ones if only possible). You may ask us any WordPress related questions any time and we'll do our best to help you solve all WordPress related issues.

We also help you learn and understand WordPress (check our Academy please) and you can only expect more and more help, tools and services from us.

This community here is a huge community of great members but this particular forum is a Support Forum where you - as the member - can ask WordPress related questions and the support staff will assist you.

This page (when visited by a non-logged in visitor) sums it up nicely:

https://premium.wpmudev.org/

I'm not sure if what I said makes sense to you as I'm a support guy so it's more like a technical role rather than "marketing" one but if you have any additional questions, don't hesitate to ask please. I'll be more than happy to explain/help/assist :slight_smile:

Best regards,
    Adam

• Adam Czajczyk

Hello Luke!

Once you downloaded the file and saved it to your computer, these would be the steps to follow:

- open your site
    - login to its back-end as an admin
    - go to the "Plugins -> Add plugin" page
    - click on "Upload" button
    - then click on "Browse" button and find and select that .zip file with a plugin that you downloaded to your computer
    - click "Install" and when "Activate" button shows up, click it as well.

After that a new item will show in your site's dashboard (admin area): "WPMU DEV". Click on it and you'll be prompted to login.

I hope that helps!

Best regards,
    Adam

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.