I can not access my network dashboard.

Hi,
I was working on my installed plugin list. I was deleting ones I didn't need now, one at a time. I got a Fatal Error message of: Fatal error: out of memory....(see screenshot for details). Now I cannot access any page with primarydomain.com/wp-admin/ in the url. I am able to get to my subdirectory websites dashboards. However, not my primary root site's dashboard. Can you tell me what happened and how I can fix this?

• Patrick

Hi @DavidSchutt

Looks like you were trying to batch delete several plugins at the same time, and your system ran out of memory.

Two things to do:

1) If you're cPanel, go to the file manager and rename the plugins folder in your main site to "DISABLED". Save. You should then be able to access the network admin, but all your plugins will be deactivated or absent from the list.

2) Rename the plugins folder to "plugins". Then refresh the plugins page in your network admin. All the plugins should be listed but inactive.

3) Increase your allowed_memory_limit setting. See here for more: http://codex.wordpress.org/Editing_wp-config.php#Increasing_memory_allocated_to_PHP

4) I recommend deleting/updating plugins one at a time to avoid such errors.

Hope this helps! And thanks for being a member :slight_smile:

• David

Here are the themes and plugins and their version number which I have installed at the moment:

Infinity Version: 1.1b Developer Mode: Disabled
    BuddyPress: 1.6.4
    MySQL: 5.0.96
    Permalinks: custom
    PHP: 5.2.17
    WordPress: 3.5.1
    WordPress multisite: subdomain

Current theme: Commons In A Box version 1.0.2

Active Plugins
    Admin Ads: 1.0.9
    Admin Footer Text: 1.0.9
    Admin Help Content: 2.0.1
    Admin Message: 1.1.1
    Admin Panel Tips: 1.0.7.1
    Ad Sharing: 1.2
    Advanced Theme Switcher: 1.0.8.1
    Ad widget: 2.2
    Affiliate: 3.1.2
    Anti-Splog: 2.1.1
    Appointments+: 1.2.5
    AutoBlog: 3.9.9
    Automessage: 2.3.1
    bbPress: 2.2.4
    Bebop: 1.3.2
    Blog Activity: 1.1.4
    Blogs Directory: 1.1.9.1
    Blogs Widget: 1.0.9.1
    BP Group Announcements: 1.0.2
    BP Groupblog: 1.8
    BP Group Email: 1.0.6
    BP Hide Widgets: 1.0.4
    BP MPO Activity Filter: 1.2
    BuddyPress Activity Plus: 1.4.1
    BuddyPress Docs: 1.2.10
    BuddyPress Docs Wiki add-on: 1.0.3
    BuddyPress Group Calendar: 1.3.3
    BuddyPress Group Email Subscription: 3.3.1
    BuddyPress Reply By Email: 1.0-RC1
    CAC Featured Content: 1.0.3
    Classifieds: 2.3.2.7
    Comment Form Text: 1.0.2
    Comment Indexer: 1.0.9
    Comments Control: 1.0.0
    Comments Plus: 1.6
    Commons In A Box: 1.0.2
    Contact Form: 2.1.3
    Content Monitor: 1.2.2
    Custom Admin Bar: 1.3.2
    CustomPress: 1.3.2.7
    Custom Profile Filters for BuddyPress: 0.3.1
    Dashboard Feeds: 2.0.3
    Dashboard Widgets Order: 2.0.4
    Directory: 2.2.2.7
    Domain Mapping plugin: 3.1.7
    E-Newsletter: 1.2.5
    Easy Blogging: 3.3
    External Group Blogs: 1.5.1
    Footer Content: 1.0.2.2
    Fundraising: 2.2.5
    Infinite SEO: 1.6.1
    Invite Anyone: 1.0.17
    Login Redirect: 1.0.3
    Logout Redirect: 1.1.1
    MarketPress: 2.8.4
    Mass Email Sender: 1.6.7
    Members Directory: 1.0.8.1
    Membership Premium: 3.4.3.1
    Moderation: 1.0.8.1
    More Privacy Options: 3.5
    Multisite Privacy: 1.1.7.6
    MU Support System: 1.7.2.2
    New Blog Templates: 1.6.5
    Password Protect Selected Content: 1.0
    Pay Per View: 1.4.1
    Pay With a Like: 1.1.2
    Popover plugin: 4.4.3
    Post Indexer: 3.0.3
    Post Voting: 2.1.6
    Pro Sites (Formerly Supporter): 3.4
    Q&A - WordPress Questions and Answers Plugin: 1.4.2
    Recent Comments: 1.0.2
    Recent Custom Posts Type Widget: 2.1.2
    Recent Global Comments Feed: 1.0.6.1
    Recent Global Comments Widget: 1.0.4
    Remember Me Checked: 1.0.1
    Remove Email Verification: 2.1.3
    Remove Permalinks Menu Item: 1.0.3
    Reports: 1.0.5
    Scheduled Content: 1.1.1
    Select Language At Signup: 1.0.4
    Set Blog Description on Blog Creation: 1.0.3
    Set Password on WordPress Multisite Blog Creation: 1.1.1.1
    Signup TOS: 1.2.3
    Simple Ads: 1.0.5
    Site Categories: 1.0.7.6
    Snapshot: 2.3.2.1
    Social Marketing: 1.2.1
    Stop Spammer Registrations Plugin: 4.2
    Subscribe by Email: 1.1.5
    Ultimate Branding: 1.1.6
    Ultimate Facebook: 2.6.2
    Update Services: 1.0.2
    User Activity: 1.0.4
    User Reports: 1.0.2
    Users Widget: 1.0.1
    User Synchronization: 1.1
    Who Sees Ads for WPMU: 2.0.5
    Wiki: 1.2.3.2
    WordPress Chat: 1.3.2.7
    WPMU DEV Dashboard: 3.2.5
    WPMU DEV Videos: 1.2
    YouTube Featured Video: 1.0

• David

Hi Patrick,
    Well I got sooooo close, but with only three plugins left to network activate, I am getting the fatal error: out of memory message again.

I had tried to follow your instructions and those of Wordpress at the link you kindly gave me. After reading the Increasing memory allocated to PHP topic at 2.15 and the beginning of the thread, it seemed to me the text line was to be added at the end of my config.php file after the multisite lines of code and before the "*/ That's all, stop editing! Happy blogging!" line.

I tried to reset it to 96m first. Then I got the fatal error message. So then I tried 256M, but I got the same Fatal error message.

So am I doing it wrong? What do I need to do? I only have three plugins left to activate and then I can move on to the details of things.

Thanks for your assistance!
    David

• Patrick

Hi again @DavidSchutt

If you have increased the memory limit to 256M (which should be more than enough for any install) and you're still getting that error at 156M, your host is likely throttling you back.

If that's the case, you would need to talk your host about increasing it.

And again, please update your plugins and themes one at a time. Doing so will eliminate most, if not all, problems of this type.

• David

Hi Patrick,
    Honestly, I only activate them one at a time, lol! One plugin at a time is my motto.

The whole wesite is gummed up now though. I tried to update a theme a couple of hours ago and it is still not done doing it. I'm locked in "Maintenance Mode."

Tomorrow, (getting late here), I'll do your little "rename the plugin folder" trick to manually deactivate all of them. I'll do the same with the themes. And then I'll start all over.

Patrick, I have tried to install multisite WPMU Dev themes and plugins on at least five different domains. Weeks and weeks of work! I hate to admit it, but I haven't gotten one of them to the point of being usable. The plugins get all gummed up somehow (YES, I activate them one at a time, lol.). So I never have gotten to the point where I can use my sites.

It is very, very frustrating. I read through the pages of the "manuals" and follow what they say, but there isn't any guidance as to the order of the procedures to build out a multisite, other than the initial install and configuration. I can do a new single site theme and plugin install and basic content in just a few hours. I run and manage the websites for two Internet Marketers stateside. I'm not an expert, obviously, but I can usually troubleshoot my own goof-ups. This WPMU Dev process has me stumped so far.

• Patrick

Hi again @DavidSchutt

The code added to wp-config is fine where it is. As long as it's above the "That's it, stop editing" bit, you're good.

If you are still getting memory errors like that when updating or installing plugins one at a time, there is definitely a problem with the server configuration as I indicated above. You would need to contact your host to track that down.

This WPMU Dev process has me stumped so far.

I'm afraid that statement has me a bit confused. :slight_frown:

WPMU DEV has no special "process". Our plugins and themes are installed, updated and function just like any other WordPress plugins and themes.

Our Dashboard plugin simply provides a customized interface that enables you to access everything we have to offer from a single location within your site's admin. But it is by no means mandatory for our products to function. You can download our products to your computer and upload them to your site just like you do with any other.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.