I can not get the sidebar in my blog posts to change to anything else

When trying to change the elements in the sidebar on the blog post, it does not stick. I can click save to all of this type or save to only this post and it will not change the side bar. I am also having this problem with the footer bar as well.

  • Sajid

    Hi @Terrill

    Hope you are doing good today :slight_smile:

    I tested it on my own site to make sure its not a bug and it worked fine to me. Widgets and elements are successfully saving on sidebar and footer.

    Then I took the liberty of support staff access and tried to make some changes on your site. I could replicate the issue. After further troubleshooting I found 406 not acceptable error in error console with save layout failed.

    This is a common error due to mod_security module on your server and could be fixed by one of these methods mentioned following.

    Solution 1 for Fixing 406 Error
    Backup your .htaccess file if you have one in the ‘wp-admin’ directory. Then make a ‘.htaccess’ file with the following content and upload it to ‘wp-admin’ directory.

    <IfModule mod_security.c>
    SecFilterEngine Off
    SecFilterScanPOST Off
    </IfModule>

    You can use any text editor such as Notepad to create this file.

    You will need to upload this .htaccedss file to your server. So if you don’t know how to upload a file to your server then check this tutorial on FTP.

    Solution 2 for Fixing 406 Error
    This is the solution that worked for me for my WordPress site.

    Backup your .htaccess file if you have one in the public_html directory.

    Open the .htaccess file with any text editor and observe the lines between the “# BEGIN WordPress” and “# END WordPress” tags. Make sure the lines look somewhat like the following. If not then update the file with the following content and upload it to the ‘public_html’ directory.

    # BEGIN WordPress
    <IfModule mod_rewrite.c>
    RewriteEngine On
    RewriteBase /
    RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-f
    RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-d
    RewriteRule . /index.php [L]
    </IfModule>
    # END WordPress

    Make sure you take the backup of these files first. If that still does not work then you might need to contact your host and ask them to turn the mod_security or add the upfront calls in exceptions. Also would you like to tell me what is your host ?

    Take care and have a nice day :slight_smile:

    Cheers, Sajid

  • Terrill

    So, I tried all your suggestions to no avail. I also tried turning off modsecurity to test if that would fix the issue, and I got the same 406. The provider is bestwebhosting.com, I am currently contacting their support to see if they have performed some server update since I was able to edit upfront about 2-3 days ago just fine and I also informed them about your suggestion of adding an exception.

    For anyone that may have red his post and like me didnt know how to access console to see the nitty gritty for testing your own webpage, just press ctrl+shift+J on windows or cmd+option+J on mac if you are using google chrome. Makes it far quicker to see if you are failing.

  • Rupok

    Hi Terrill

    I hope you had a wonderful day.

    We got a situation like this couple of days ago from another user and the solution @Sajid gave you above seemed to work for him. On top of this, he had a permission issue. Can you please your file and directory permissions? All directories should be 755 or 750. All files should be 644 or 640. Exception: wp-config.php should be 600 to prevent other users on the server from reading it. No directories should ever be given 777, even upload directories. You can get more idea here: http://codex.wordpress.org/Changing_File_Permissions

    To get more idea, you can have a look at this thread: https://premium.wpmudev.org/forums/topic/upfront-fixer-theme-unable-to-save-anything

    Have a nice day. Cheers!
    Rupok

  • Terrill

    Alright, so after extensive testing and my webhost being pretty much worthless I found the issue for my particular case.
    I looked through all the file permissions and they were all set to the correct numbers.

    (If you're trying to do this please save yourself time: connect with a FTP service, in each section highlight all the directories(folders) and right click and select Permissions. If the number is 755 or 750 than all highlighted directories are that number. If there is an x for any of the 3 numbers that means one or more of the directories has a different number in that value. Do this same process for all your files.)

    Turning modsecurity completely off also did not help.
    What I found the 406 issue to be was that some text I had copied and pasted into a text box had a character that was "not cool". I had pasted the text in notepad and then copied it from their into a text element on my page and still got the issue. Only after picking through each line and word did I isolate it down to a few characters that appeared normal in notepad and upfront.
    I found some articles on this particular issue and re-wrote the offending characters and now everything is fine.
    Also a weird note, I had previously saved a post that had an offending character and was unable to make any changes until I fixed the character in it.
    I am sure this is a very obscure issue, but hopefully it helps that 1 person.
    And now I am having a character limit of 250 characters. anything above that will make it 406

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.