I can't access my network plugin section. When I click

I can't access my network plugin section. When I click on plugins, i get the following:

Sorry, we can't find the content you're looking for at this URL

And I can't update wpmu dev plugins from wpmu dev dashboard?

• Patrick
    • Support Monkey

Hi @kstock

That may simply be a browser cache issue. Please try logging out of your site, then clear browser cache and cookies. Then login again and try to access that page.

Note that the direct URL to the network plugin page should look like this:
    http://your-site.com/wp-admin/network/plugins.php

As for the WPMU DEV Dashboard, you must be logged into the Dashboard with the same premium login credentials you use to login to this site.

• kstock
    • Flash Drive

This happens from any computer or browser I use. I still followed your instructions and I get the same response when I click on the plugins link?

Sorry, we can't find the content you're looking for at this URL. Please try selecting a menu item from above or to the side of this message to get where you'd like to go.

• Patrick
    • Support Monkey

Hi again @kstock

That is odd.

Please try refreshing your permalinks by setting them to anything other than what they are now. Save, then set them back, and save again.

Also, that type of message would likely be generated by your active theme. Have you tried switching to a different theme to test?

Also, when you are in your network admin, and you click on the plugins menu, are you redirected to the front of your site?

• kstock
    • Flash Drive

Hi Patrick,

I tried changing the permalinks but that didn't work. When I click on the plugins link it does take me to the front end of the home page but the url in the address bar seems right: http://my24care.com/wp-admin/network/plugins.php

It seems to be affecting only one site which is my main site AND the network admin dashboard plugin link? I made the below video to show you my problems

http://screencast-o-matic.com/watch/cIX3qOVRDs

• Patrick
    • Support Monkey

Hi again @kstock

Terribly sorry for the delay here; I had some family issues to deal with.

Yes, your permissions are correct (755).

A clue may be seen at 2:43 in your video. You tried to access the network admin dashboard, and it 404'd. You then tried again, and it worked.

Had you installed any new plugins recently, or updated any?

Had you changed your theme?

Do you have any plugin installed that modifies user capabilities?

It definitely looks like something is interfering intermittently, and I would bet on a plugin.

Please access your plugins folder via FTP, and rename any recently installed plugin(s) (for ex: DISABLED-pluginname). That will effectively deactivate the plugin(s).

Then try accessing your plugins page again. Once you've found the problematic plugin(s), you can then decide to work without it, or search for a workable alternative.

• kstock
    • Flash Drive

I did install a new plugin for managing audio files. Since I couldn't get to the plugin area I logged into FTP and deleted the file from the plugins folder. This was one of the first things I did.

The other problem I have is I paid for WPMU Dev for set up of WPMU and it was installed with a lot of plugins. Some are active but most are inactive. Whenever there is an update notice, I update all the plugins so it could be any plugin. Since I can't login to the plugin panel, I can tell which are enabled and which are disabled. Also, I can't simply click disable and work my way through the list.

What should I do? rename every plugin that I think is enabled?

• Patrick
    • Support Monkey

@kstock

Hmm, if you have installed/updated several, and aren't really sure what may be at the root of this behavior, then you can bulk-deactivate all of them by renaming the plugins folder itself.

Once you've renamed the plugins folder (to for ex: DISABLEDplugins), you should be able to get to your plugins page in your admin.

At that point, rename the plugins folder to its original name: plugins. Then refresh the plugins page in your admin.

You will see that all plugins are now deactivated. You can then start reactivating them one at a time, and navigate away and back to your admin plugins page with each activation to find the culprit.

It can be a long and somewhat tedious process, I know, It will also mess things up on the front-end of your site while you're doing it. So, if your site has active users, you may want schedule this type of maintenance, notify your users, and put up a "maintenance" page during that time.

• Patrick
    • Support Monkey

Hi again @kstock

Would you mind if I took a look behind the scenes myself? Maybe actually seeing things for myself may help me spot something that I'm just not thinking of.

If you would like me to take a look behind the scenes, please email admin and FTP login information using the form here: https://premium.wpmudev.org/contact/

Select "I have a different question" from the dropdown, and include the following:

Subject line: Attn: Patrick Cohen

Site URL: ___________
    Admin user: ______________
    Admin pass: ______________

FTP host:________________
    FTP user: _______________
    FTP pass: _______________

Forum thread: https://premium.wpmudev.org/forums/topic/i-cant-access-my-network-plugin-section-when-i-click

• Patrick
    • Support Monkey

Hi again @kstock

Sorry for the extreme delay here. Yes, I checked and your email did get through but somehow got marked closed in our system so I did not see it until I just searched for it in the archives.

I'm logging in now to see if I can spot something.

• Patrick
    • Support Monkey

@kstock

I first checked your wp-config.php & htaccess files which appear to be fine.

I then renamed the plugins folder to deactivate all plugins: no success.

I then renamed the themes folder and lost access to both the themes and plugins pages in your admin. That makes no sense at all, and would tend to indicate the source of the issue is in the themes folder.

I checked the latest modification dates via FTP and see that you have 3 plugins and several themes that have not been updated in over 2 years (including many from our Farms 133 pack). Not good at all to have that on your site. :slight_frown:

Also, have you noticed what happens when you visit Appearance > Themes in any of your subsites?

My recommendation is to take note of the themes & plugins you currently have active on your sites. Then delete, via FTP, all themes & plugins. Then re-upload the most current versions of your themes & plugins. Then check the access to plugins & themes pages in your network admin and the admin of every site.

If the issue is still present, then it is likely one of the current themes or plugins that is conflicting. But I would be willing to bet that the problem is in one or more of those very old themes/plugins.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.