I can't domain mapping to work

I followed the instructions for setting up Domain Mapping but I'm still getting an error message.

See attachment.

• Patrick

Hi there @Glenton

Welcome to WPMU DEV, glad to have you aboard!

That isn't an error message; it's an alert from the Domain Mapping plugin telling you that it cannot resolve the DNS for the domain you are trying to map.

If this is a domain you just purchased, or if you just modified the DNS of that domain, it can take up to 72 hours for propagation to complete.

Is your multisite set up on a dedicated IP address? Or have you added the domain you are trying to map as an addon or parked domain in your cPanel account?

If it is not a brand-new domain, and you are sure the DNS has propagated, have you tried unchecking the Verify domain's DNS settings setting?

• Jose

Hello there @Glenton,

Hope you are doing great.

The multisite set up is on a dedicated server, when you say dedicated IP does that mean it can't be used with any other account on that dedicated server?

Yeap, Patrick is just trying to discard some DNS issues. If you have a dedicated IP pointing to your WP Multisite install (no other site is using it) then we only need to check if the domain that your are trying to map is actually resolving to the right IP.

Now, if you have more than one application running under the same IP, you need some sort of virtualhost or add-on domain (in cPanel) routing the specific domain to your WP Multisite installation.

So, did you already check that the DNS for your domain is resolving to the correct IP? Is it pointing to your WP Multisite install?

I'll be glad to take a look if that sound good for you :slight_smile:
    In order to do so, please send me the following information via contact form :
    - In the subject field add "Attn: Jose”
    - Link back to this thread
    - Include WP admin/network access
    - Include cPanel login url and credentials.

On the contact form, select "I have a different question", this ensures it comes through and gets assigned to me.

Cheers,
    Jose

• Jose

Hi again Glenton,

You can see your mapped domain working now.

The problem was that you didn't add the domain in your cPanel account.
    So, the domain was resolving to the correct IP, but the server had no instructions on how to handle the request to that domain.
    In a normal scenario, you would add the domain and point it to the specific installation folder.
    In this case, since we are mapping an already created site, you need to add the domain as an add-on domain pointing to your WP Multisite install. (see the Addon Domains section in your cpanel for further details).

Please don't hesitate to ask if you have further questions.

Cheers!
    José

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.