I can't download plugins from the wpmu dev dashboard

Hi,

I can't download plugins from the wpmu dev dashboard. The "install" button turns red with the word "error" after a while.

Please help.

eric

• Patrick
    • Support Monkey

Hi @eric

Do any error messages display? Or is it just the word "Error" that displays?

It could be a memory time-out as the plugin is installing. Try adding the following to your wp-config.php file to increase the memory allocated to WordPress.

define('WP_MEMORY_LIMIT', '256M');

• eric
    • Site Builder, Child of Zeus

This line of code is already in the wp-config.php; I added it some time back.

The "Install" button turns from green to red and the "Install" word is replaced with "Error".

I'm working around this problem right now by downloading, zipping and uploading to my server again. It works but it's not supposed to be like this; the workflow should be much shorter.

Please advise.

Thanks.

eric

• eric

lol,

I don't have WPBakery but I'm using some others.

If this is the reason then I guess I'll just have to live with it then; the rest of the non-WPMU plugins are essential to me.

Thanks for the tip.

eric

• Patrick
    • Support Monkey

Hi @eric

I see you're using the Terso theme which does have the Visual Composer plugin integrated:
    http://themeforest.net/item/terso-responsive-wordpress-theme/2343187

That would appear to conflict with the Dashboard functions as reported here:
    https://premium.wpmudev.org/forums/topic/wpmu-dev-dashboard-installs-never-work-for-me#post-464762

In that theme, is there an option to switch the visual composer on/off?

@lol

Good find!

Cookies are on their way. :slight_smile:

• eric

Thanks, guys, for the effort in tracing down the problem.

I can disable the visual composer in the theme. But if it boils down to either visual composer or the wpmu dev dashboard, then I'll rather pick the visual composer because it's way more important to me.

Thanks again.

eric

• lol
    • The Incredible Code Injector

Hi,
    Thank you very much Patrick! :wink:

I didn't know that some included visual composer's theme could have same effect (but it is finally clear it can).

I manage this way: Deactivate the guilty plugin, install; ou upgrade from WPMU DEV Dashboard, and reactivate the plug...
    It's not finally really a problem as you can get around.

The annoying thing is that there is not a lot of logs to find the real cause of the problem ...

• Patrick
    • Support Monkey

@tivolitryne

Not that I know of (I wasn't even aware of the problem with the Visual Composer, but there it is).

Can you provide a link to your site? Perhaps something can be seen in the JS console.

@eric

Until a fix can be implemented, the solution by @lol is a good workaround.

• eric

Yes, that's apparently the case...

I don't know much, Patrick, but sadly after 2 mths of fiddling around, I'm starting to get the impression that lots of plugins here are half-baked.

The ideas behind the plugins are great; that's provided you can get them to work. But enough of them give so much headache that I am forced to either disable them or grit my teeth and prepare for the rough ride ahead.

sigh...

best regards,
    eric

• Patrick
    • Support Monkey

Hi again @eric

The ideas behind the plugins are great; that's provided you can get them to work. But enough of them give so much headache that I am forced to either disable them or grit my teeth and prepare for the rough ride ahead.

Can you be a bit more specific about the types of difficulties you are experiencing with our plugins?

I don't mean to be so bold as to try to resolve all issues in one fell swoop. But more input from you on usability issues will definitely help us to improve our products and services.

We are currently working on developing a few rather radical improvements to how our plugins are constructed, consistency in options & settings panels, more intuitive access to documentation & support, better documentation too. :slight_smile:

• eric

Patrick,

I'm too tired to go into specifics. Anyway, the reasons are numerous.

I'm just airing my sentiments and feelings as a user of 2 month. It's like you patronise a restaurant and you will inevitably come to a conclusion for the place. It could be the food, environment, decor, service, etc; it's a total package thing really.

I look forward keenly to the improvements you guys are working on; they are sorely needed.

Thanks.

eric

• tivolitryne
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

@Patrick Cohen

Sorry for late response. My site is currently passwordprotected due to development. I could give you guys accses to both the front end and back end if that would help you to figure out whats wrong.
    Please provide me with an emailadress I can use to send logininformation.

I am pretty sure it is the theme since I use all the plugins on another side and the dashboard is working there.

Best regards

Jon P

• tivolitryne
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

Just an little update.

It looks like you already have fixed the problem. I updated from v 3.3 to the latest version 3.3.2 and now I am able to install the plugins.

Do not know what you did, but I am happy and thankfull. :slight_smile:

Best regads

Jon P

• Patrick
    • Support Monkey

@tivolitryne

I hope you had a great weekend!

It looks like you already have fixed the problem. I updated from v 3.3 to the latest version 3.3.2 and now I am able to install the plugins.

Yep, version 3.3.1 fixed the issue with Visual Composer, and 3.3.2 squashed a sneaky little login bug.

:slight_smile:

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.