I can't figure out how to add an app to my facebook page

Hi,
I just installed facebook plugin and was following the prompts and guides on how to get it configured.
I must be an idiot! Well perhaps a little slow because I get stumped on the first instruction...

Before we begin
This step must be completed before using the plugin. You must make a Facebook Application to continue.
Before we begin, you need to create a Facebook Application.

The creat an app link tries to take me to http://www.facebook.com/developers/createapp.php but then redirects me to my facebook page. Likewise the links in step 1 and step 3 take me to my facebook page and I don't see any option there for creating an app.

So whats the secret juice?

• Chris

Yes, I can see that page and in fact did click on that app button and it sent me to http://www.facebook.com/mypage

I also went into dev and tried the tutorial listed there on how to set up an app and those links sent me to my Facebook page!

Yesterday when I setup my Facebook page it did not like my email address info@ ... Tried several times and it said it didn't exist, so I made a new one social@ ... And it accepted that.

I wonder if they are indeed changing stuff and maybe I will come back to it in a day or so.

Thanks for trying to help!

• Chris

I have found Facebook to be an incredibly frustrating experience, and you are right, don't expect a reply!

When I set up my business page, I did something to "verify" in order to get my nickname. Ie: Facebook.com/myname

Now, anytime that I click on any link in developers that looks like it might lead me to either creating an app, or even getting more info, it just redirects me back to my page.

I don't see any way to "verify" or sign up for a developer account anywhere.

If I delete my account and tart over, I wonder, will I lose my name in Facebook? Ie: Facebook.com/myname

• James Dunn

Hey Chris.

DO NOT DELETE YOUR FACEBOOK ACCOUNT!!!! You will lose your username and they don't usually let them recycle too often.

To answer an earlier question, YES, you will need to set up a developer account. As a couple of others have mentioned here, you will have to verify your account either with your mobile phone or by adding a credit card to your account. Review this blog post in the developers section from 2010: https://developers.facebook.com/blog/post/386/

I've been a FB Developer for several years now (like it seems the others that have commented here have been) so the procedure may be a bit different now. Regardless, you should be able to visit http://developers.facebook.com and grab you a developers account. I was going to describe the steps for a new account here, but both my wife and I are FB Developers so we already have a Developers Account. I tried my daughter, but she's away from her computer until later - she doesn't have a Developers account. Once she's back at her computer, I'll get her to go through the steps with me and document them here for you and anyone else to see.

JDD

• James Dunn

Hey Chris.

This is a common misconception that I see a lot of people making. Technically, every business page SHOULD be connected to a personal profile - you can create pages that are independent of a personal profile, but as you have seen, you have very little flexibility on them - can't create apps is just one of the limitations.

Regardless, putting the page under/attached to your personal profile does not expose your personal profile to any of those page visitors (unless you want to list yourself on the business page as the owner or admin). You can keep all that stuff private and still have full operational capability on your pages. I personally manage over 100 pages for various people, entities, and businesses and no one can find out that I am even involved with the pages unless I have exposed that fact.

I've also been assigned as admin of some pages to help people out with an issue. They've left me as admin of those pages and even their clients don't know about me and my access (unless they are admins as well). Don't concern yourself too much over this issue.

JDD

• James Dunn

Hey Chris.

I'm sure the developer, like most of us, are already FB developers and have our pages linked to our personal profile, so we usually miss this very important key point. :wink: I know I worked with someone in another forum for several hours only to finally discover that they had done the same thing - and for the same reason that you had.

I understand why FB now allows page creation without a personal profile (I think that originally it was not possible), but honestly, it has created more negative issues (such as your and other's lost productivity) while trying to figure out why something could not be done. Personally, I just with they'd either allow apps (and the other not-allowed things) on a page without a personal profile OR go back to requiring a page be attached to a personal profile. But, then again, they didn't ask me. :wink:)

Take care Chris and post back if you have other issues. I'm sure there's someone here that can help with most issues that arise. Also, thanks for the points - they're greatly appreciated.

JDD

• James Dunn

Hey Chris.

Yes, it's supposed to return with a confirmation that your WP site is connected to your page. How long are you waiting? I've seen it take as much as 10 seconds - and I'm certain that is dependent upon your server speed and configuration.

However, if you wait more than 20 seconds or so with no confirmation, then you've probably gotten something misconfigured.

Want me to take a look at it for you? If so, email me admin access to your WP site (create a new Admin account that you can destroy once we're finished). Or, we can connect on Skype and you can just screen share. Shoot me an email at amazingplr at gmail dot come and let me know how you want to proceed. I'll be happy to help you out in whatever way you'd like.

Let me know.

JDD

• James Dunn

Hey Chris.

Can you remove the "Extended Permissions" from the page. To do so, navigate to your Facebook profile page after you log in and select "Privacy Settings" from the dropdown menu next to the "Home" menu item. On next page, click "Edit settings" next to the "Ads, Apps and Websites" item, then "Edit settings" button next to "Apps you use". You'll end up on the page with a list of all the apps you use, and there you can modify or completely remove any permissions you want. I don't think you'll need to remove the app - but that may be necessary in the future if this doesn't work. For now, just click the "X" beside all items under "This app can also" section.

Let me know when you've done that and I'll try to re-enable it. My initial thought is that you tried to grand extended permissions BEFORE you told it to post on FB. But, that's only speculation.

Thanks.

JDD

• James Dunn

Hey Chris.

I don't know if you removed it or not, but I was able to get the app added to my profile and attempt to add Extended Permissions. The box popped up and all for me to add it. However, I think that since I'm not an admin of your page, it will not properly set it up. I removed the app from my list of apps (like I said in the instructions above) and tried again just to see if I get the pop-up box and all. It worked (but of course, I can't do the Extended Permissions - I think because I'm not an admin).

Please remove the app (not like I told you above, but actually Remove the app. Then, go through the Autopost to Facebook section to make sure what I put in there will work. I have it autoposting posts to your Facebook Wall on your personal profile. No other pages showed up in the dropdown list.

Once you've saved those options, try to enable Extended Permissions again and see if you get the pop-up asking for permission to do all the things that it's going to be doing. If you don't get the pop-up box, it will not work because there's a permissions button that you must click.

Let me know what you experience. Like I said, I can't do much more unless you want to make me an admin temporarily for your page.

JDD

• Chris

Hey James,

Sorry, it was late here when you logged in and I wasn't able to get back to you.
    I removed the app, and then granted permissions again, went through the autopost and disabled everything for now. Have a look at the pop up, there seems to be two instances of this web site there. Also, how do I remove the other users from this list? I would hate to make a post and have it pop up on my work page... :wink:

• James Dunn

Hey Chris.

Can you make me an admin of your page temporarily? Here's my FB profile: https://www.facebook.com/jamesdunn

Once you connect this app to your profile, it will list ALL pages for which you are an admin. I don't know of a way to remove them from the list - the only suggestion I have is be careful when you set it up so that it only posts to the pages/profiles you want it to. So far, I've had no problem posting to pages that I don't want it to - it works and posts to the pages you select.

But, I understand that you don't want to post to the wrong page. I don't either because I work for lots of clients in various industries. I'd hate to post an article about heartworms in Dogs (for my vet) on my attorney's page - it just wouldn't seem to fit. LOL

Let me know once you set me up as admin (in case FB doesn't notify me) - as long as you're comfortable doing that. Once we get this set up, you can remove me as admin.

JDD

• James Dunn

Hey Chris.

Got the notice you made me an admin. I went in and it connected right up, extended permissions are granted, and I did a quick test post. BTW, it's set to post to me(1584367299), and from what I'm able to tell, that is my profile because it posted it on my personal wall.

Also, all the pages that are available to post to are the ones that I'm administrator for (except for Arabian Horse Ads for some reason). I'm thinking that the reason I may not be seeing Arabian Horse Ads is because of the new "Admin Levels" that Facebook has instituted. This is for Ve: Do you know if the new Admin Levels that FB has rolled out will affect who/what/how this plugin will post to FB?

Regardless, I'm going to remove my extended permissions now, and undo what I've done. Then, you try it in this order:

1) Verify the information in the top options box - making sure it shows that you are connected to Arabian Horse Ads page
    2) In the bottom options box (Autopost to Facebook), make sure the first and third checkboxes are checked (I don't use the second one yet, but it may eventually be handy).
    3) In the bottom options box, make sure that at least the "Post" section is set to post to your page you want posted to. To make this happen, you may need to "Save" after doing step #2 so that your pages show up. Regardless, choose the page you want to post to in the "Post" section dropdown and then click Save again. After it completes that save, you should see a confirmation in that section.
    4) Then, and ONLY THEN, go to the "Grant Extended Permissions" section and click to grant the extended permissions. Even though this is the second box, I think it should be the step after you choose to autopost to FB because apparently it's looking for the page that you've chosen to autopost to - but I'm not certain. This is also another good question for Ve as he's the developer.

Try this process and let me know if it works.

JDD

• Chris

Hi James,
    Okay,
    Deleted old app. Created new one, entered the info in Facebook API tab of the settings for this plugin. Correctly connected.
    Next, went to bottom tab Autopost to Facebook and made the settings in the screenshot attached below. I selected "Ads" because that is the custom post type I wish to have show in facebook. So, I was able to select autopost ads to "facebook wall" but the only option available for user is "me(xxxx)". I did not see a confirmation as you suggested, even after saving.
    I have not yet gone on to "Grant extended permissions" yet.
    Am I on the right track?

• James Dunn

Goodday.

Two quick things.

#1 Under the selections section there is a check box for "When posting to page, post as page." - be sure that's checked and save it again.

#2 Can we get on Skype so you can screen share with me? If so, we can do it tonight sometime.

What time zone are you in? (you can reference it to GMT if you want). I'm at GMT -5 or -6 (can't remember during DST).

Let me know.

JDD

• James Dunn

Hey Chris.

Yes, that's the window that should pop up. Did you see that before or not? If you didn't see it before, then you might want to try clicking "Allow" and see what happens. Worst case scenario, it doesn't work and you go back to your profile and remove "Extended Permissions".

You didn't have to delete the app, just remove it from your profile. But, by deleting it and rebuilding it, you actually may have corrected any issue that was there. But, I don't think there was an issue because I was able to get it to work on my personal profile.

Can you do one more thing for me? Can you screen shot the list of pages that you have listed as being admin for. To get that list, go to https://www.facebook.com/pages and then click "Pages I Admin" and it will give you a list. Screen shot that and email it to me (don't post it here because it would be too public).

@Timothy - thanks for reminding me of Team Viewer. We use that at the radio station that I work with so that we can log in remotely and control the radio station automation computer. I always forget about it though. Thanks for reminding me.

@Chris - if you want to try Team Viewer, let me know and we can give it a shot and then we can talk via phone if necessary.

Talk to you soon.

JDD

• Chris

Huge thanks to James for helping me solve the issues that I encountered when trying to get this plugin working. Without his "beyond the box" support I don't think I would have ever managed to get this plugin working, I'm certain I would have given up in frustration!!!

James went way out of his way to help, spending hours in team viewer remote desktop to see what I was seeing. In doing so, I'm sure he has some useful feedback to the developer that should result in a significant improvement for everyone.

Congrats James! I appreciate all you do. I hope you enjoy the big pile of points I gave you and I hope the staff here allow all of them to be awarded since you certainly do deserve them!

Chris

• James Dunn

O.K. this one was a bit interesting and something was throwing BOTH of us off in the process - otherwise it would have been a quick fix. Here's what was confusing:

In the bottom section about "Auto-posting to Facebook", when I choose something (like posts), I can have it feed those posts to the Facebook Wall, and then when I click the dropdown box, I see every page connected to my profile. However, when I was helping Chris, the dropdown box showed his pages PLUS it showed the app that he had created for this page we were working with. This caused us to choose the app instead of the page.

We tried for about a half hour to get a new post (and his ads) to post to his FB page, but nothing happened. I knew it had to be working because I had used the identical setup to post to one of my pages (from his website) and it worked flawlessly.

After flipping back and forth and trying everything we could think of, I had Chris pull up his pages in FB first, then his apps in FB. At that point, I realized that we had selected the app and not the page. Chris chose the page instead, tried a test post, and it immediately popped up on his FB page in my browser. He then entered an ad and it also popped up on his wall in my browser. He tried several more things and they all worked great.

I guess this is actually for Ve (I think he's the developer on this one). Is the plugin supposed to show pages AND apps - or just apps. I revisited one of my websites that is using this and it showed just pages as best as I could tell. I have so many pages (and apps) that the apps could either be lost in the long list or they just don't show.

Ideas?

Thanks for the rep points as well Chris.

JDD

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.