I can't find the theme install option on my wp dashboard?

I downloaded a theme from the internet and don't have the install theme option on my wordpress dashboard. I'm so confused and frustrated. I want to dive in and start designing (although I don't know how) my site but am unable to simply activate my theme. what do I do? Thanks!!

• Michelle Shull
    • DEV MAN’s Apprentice

Hi, Charna!

Let's make sure you're looking in the right place.
    1. Make sure you know where the downloaded file is on your computer.
    2. Go to Appearance>Themes>Add New
    3. Choose "upload" and choose the theme file from your computer.
    4. Wait while the file uploads, then select "Live Preview" to make sure it works before you deploy it.

If that doesn't work, we'll try adding the theme another way, but this should do it for you.

• Charna
    • Flash Drive

Hi - that's the problem! Under Appearance, Themes there is no Add New. I saw something like this online and they were told to re-install. Is there something wrong with my settings? (I also don't see any list called Plug-ins)

• Michelle Shull
    • DEV MAN’s Apprentice

Welllll, it's a little more complicated than that. Did you read the article I linked you to?

The blog you have, on WordPress.com is already installed on a server, which is a part of a large network of free blogs.

To get a wordpress.org self-hosted blog up and running, you'll need several things.
    1. A domain name that you bought, from a domain registrar.
    2. A server to store the files on, which you would rent from a server host, like Bluehost or GoDaddy. Oftentimes, webhosts will also provide domain names for sale, and I know GoDaddy does lots of sales.

Once you've purchased a domain name and found a host, you'll change the nameservers for your domain name from those provided by your domain registrar to those provided by your host. After your nameservers and DNS records have updated, you'll be able to see a placeholder page for your site when you go to your domain name.

Most server space you'd rent from a host comes with something called a one-click install, which lets you install programs (like wordpress) on your server without having to do much work on your end.

Or, if you downloaded a copy of wordpress, you'd then upload it to your server via an FTP (file transfer protocol) client, which lets you communicate with your server, see the files you have hosted, and upload/download from your home computer to the server itself.

• Tyler Postle
    • CGO

Hey Charna,

Hope you're doing well today! Hope you don't mind me chiming in while Michelle is enjoying her day off :slight_smile:

I can't get into my site/admin - is there something else I need to do?

Do you have a domain for it? I know you don't want to switch your other domain over until it's ready; however, I'm thinking you have it on a temporary domain for designing? You should be able to login at domain.com/wp-login.php

If you still need help logging in, provide us with a bit more details on what you're seeing and we'll be more than happy to help :slight_smile:

Right now my site is on weebly.

For when you're ready to swamp your content over from weebly, you can use this guide here: http://www.wpbeginner.com/wp-tutorials/how-to-properly-move-from-weebly-to-wordpress/

Ignore the part about Bluehost, GoDaddy will work just fine too :slight_smile:

Let us know if you need any further assistance here Charna!

All the best,
    Tyler

• Charna
    • Flash Drive

Thanks so much for your help! So thank you - I got hosting with go daddy they were helpful. And setting up my site. I bought the "one" theme. Quick question - most of my pages will be light background but the home will be dark. how do I do a light logo for the home page and dark for the rest? Thanks!

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.