I can't get domain maping to work on this site whereas

Hi,

I can’t get domain maping to work on this site whereas I have it working fine on another similar site on a different server.

I tried CNAME and A record maps from various sub domains into it but I still get the DNS verification error.

The site where I have it working has a dedciated ip so I put one on this site too, figuring that would resolve the issue, but it doesn’t.

The dedicated ip on the working site resolves to the WP install and shows the site whereas this one does not resolve to the site. I asked the hosting guys to point the dedicated ip at the site but they say that is not possible and when I showed them the one that does that they don’t know how it is working..! So I’m a bit stuck here…

Any help appreciated.

The set-up is a sub directory network, and so is the workig one where I have successfully mapped in tlds using A record and a subdomain map using CNAME, so I don’t know why one works on one server vs the other one. I have tried this on several shared servers and come across the same issue.

I noted in the documentation that with CNAME you don’t need dedicated but I thought I’d try and emulate the working one. It is a root level installation whereas the one here is a subfolder level site but I tried it on a root level site on this server too with no better results, so all I can think of is that it is related to to the shared ip or the dedicated ip in this case not resolving to the specific site..?

Does anyone know how to make the dedciated ip map to the site as a first pass at this, or is there anything else I can do here..?

thanks,

• imacg
    • Site Builder, Child of Zeus

I get the same mapping errors on the server where I have the working site when I try to use it with other sites on there that do not have a dedicated ip, which made me think I need a dedicated ip to make this work but that leads me to the issue above with the ip not pointing to the site folder.

• Jack Kitterhing
    • Code Norris

Hi there @imacg,

Hope you’re well today and thanks for your question.

A dedicated IP is required for domain mapping to work, and that IP needs to point to the root of where your multisite is installed, if that makes sense?

You can then map using CNAME or A records, CNAME’s if you want to map a subdomain to a subdomain or A records for mapping a actual domain.

Hope this makes sense, I’m here to help. :slight_smile:

Thanks!

Kind Regards

Jack.

• imacg

Hi Jack,

thanks for your response,

“and that IP needs to point to the root of where your multisite is installed, if that makes sense?!”

yes it doe.s but my server guys don’t seem to know how to do that…

so, how on cpanel or elsewhere do you make the dedicated ip point to the correct folder..??

• imacg

Hi again Jack,

the server guys asked why the plugin can’t map to somethng like http://91.238.162.57/~username which is the set-up they have to map the ip into the document folder. ?

I passed on the message re root and ssh so hopefully we can move this forward to a resolution. I have to get this domain mapping working asap for a client subdomain mapping in..

thanks

• imacg

Hi Jack,

thanks, I have passed that on and will have a go at it myself – server guys still saying they can’t map the ip…???

“‘m afraid i can’t point an IP to just the account in that way, it needs to be domain name, or this: http://91.238.162.57/~username/

so we’ll see what they say to this reference – this is frustrating because I am sure this can work perfectly well..

cheers,

• Jack Kitterhing
    • Code Norris

Hi there @imacg,

Hope you’re well today, thanks for the update. :slight_smile:

Out of interest are these your server guys you hire or the host? If they are ones you hire, try contacting the host directly, if it is with a hosting company and they should be able to get this done for you. :slight_smile:

As long as it points to where the multisite is located it will work, basically when you visit the IP address it should display your multisites home page.

Thanks!

Kind regards

Jack.

• imacg

Hi Jack,

it’s hosting, not my staff, but they are tying to understand how this all works.

We have one server where there is a domain which maps to the ip – i.e. the ip in the browser address bar returns the main site.

I have domain mapping on a multi on a sub folder of that one and it works fine.

So I need the non functional one to map the dedicated ip and we are set.

I haven’t tried the SSH solution yet but they are happy for me to try that. I need an SSH program to do that – any recommendations..?

Here’s another thing..on the working multi on a sub folder I can map in client sub domains with cname AND A record – both actually work..!

I did notice one other thing too, when mapping several sub domains in to a network site, they all validate and work when accessed but the address in the browser is always the first in the list – so that might need looked at..

I will let you know how I get on with pointing the ip at the root site doc folder tomorrow…

cheers

• imacg

The server guys mapped the client subdomain to the document root thinking the plugin could do the rest but it doesn’t work that way so I asked them to reverse that and let me try the SSH solution you recommended, they just don’t seem to understand how the plugin works, so can you give me some info on that to help them get it…

• imacg

Hi Jack,

I used Filezilla to make the SSH connection but cannot find var directory listed.

The cpanel directory is there but it does not show a userdata folder, so at that point I’m stuck.

The server guys say that public_html is the root directory and it is mapped but inputting only the dedicated ip takes me to a folder with cgi_bin as the only listed folder.

Then, sometime later it suddenly works and resolves the ip to the main site and I can use the domain mapping again.. but they don’t know what changed,.!!

I need a reliable and stable way to ensure the dedicated ip will point to the main site and remain there.

I have seen some references using .htaccess to do the pointing, have you any experience of this..?

This is getting very frustrating because it works right now – as it should because the ip has suddenly resolved ok, but there is no guarantee it will stay that way because we don’t seem to know why it works – and because the server guys say it shouldn’t.

Logic tells me that you guys designed the plugin around this requirement so there must be something generic that can be done to make sure the dedicated ip goes where it should and remains stable.

• Jack Kitterhing
    • Code Norris

Hi there @imacg,

Hope you’re well today and thank for the update.

That’s certainly strange, as the IP shouldn’t just resolve all of a sudden without doing anything.

Or was it a newly purchased IP? And so hadn’t been setup yet?

Don’t worry we’ll get to the bottom of this. :slight_smile:

Thanks!

Kind Regards

Jack.

• imacg

Last word from the server guy.. who seems to miss the point that this is not a solution for only one domain map..???

“What i’m saying is that i can’t / won’t provide a solution which uses the ip address as a URL, on a cPanel setup this is unreliable and unsupported. Should cPanel update one day, and rebuild the config, you may well end up with that IP pointing to a different place.

Which is why i’m suggesting use a subdomain. The end result is exactly the same as far as the plugin is concerned, but you don’t have the problem of relying on the IP address, you don’t even have to use a dedicated IP address It doesn’t have to be sub.clientdomain.com, it can be anything.”

Any comments on this…?

I am approaching my wits end with this back and forwards. Meantime I have 2 domains which do exactly what he won’t support..

Can anyone point me to a “simple” solution here…

My understanding is this:

1) I need a dedicated ip on a domain where I intend to install and use domain mapping

2) that dedicated ip must point directly to and load that domain

3) the plugin can then map any client tld or sub domain in to that domain

if that is so and the server guy’s response is off, then can someone point me to a reliable host who WILL easily do the required dedicated ip mapping.

Or am I missing something here..?

thanks

• imacg

Turns out my server guys own their gear and have done their best to help me, and well, finally we got some progress…

I can now map a subdomain in reliably, with or without a dedicated ip, and here are the steps.

1) set-up an A name record for your subdomain in Advanced DNS on cpanel and point it at the ip you wish to map to

(does not need to be dedicated because I did this on a shared ip too)

2) park that subdomain on your domain in cpanel – the one you have domain mapping active on.

– note, if you get a dns validation error saying the domain is mapped elsewhere then switch that off in whm – I’m awaiting details of how to do that.

3) set up your domain mapping as normal – i.e input your root ip to the plugin settings, and then in the site you want to map into, select the subdomain in 1) above and it should work nicely.

That’s what eventually worked for me, once the parked-domain validation was disabled.

I have tried this on a multisite at root level and one in a subfolder one level down and it works in both cases.

I hope that might help anyone else struggling with this,

cheers.

• Jack Kitterhing
    • Code Norris

Hi there @imacg,

Hope you’re well today and thanks for the update here, glad to hear that this is working for you now.

I would note that on

1) set-up an A name record for your subdomain in Advanced DNS on cpanel and point it at the ip you wish to map to

(does not need to be dedicated because I did this on a shared ip too)

A dedicated IP is recommend, as on a shared host, if it’s a dynamic IP, the IP could change and the domain will no longer be mapped, on a large percentage of shared hosts, the IP won’t stay the same, which will end up with incorrect domain maps.

Thanks!

Kind Regards

Jack.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.