I can't get the protected content plugin working correctly

I have purchased the plugin but I can't get it to work properly with the theme I am using. I would like someone to help me get it set up right please.

• Vaughan

Hi David,

Welcome to wpmudev.

Can you tell me which theme you are using and exactly what's not working? When you say it's not working properly, what do you mean? Do you get any errors, white pages, or something else?

If you could also install our dashboard plugin and then grant support access, we can then take a look and try & find out what's happening. See https://premium.wpmudev.org/manuals/wpmu-dev-dashboard-enabling-staff-login/

Thanks

• David

The theme is called Prolook. I purchased it from Themeforest. There are a couple of problems. Mainly when going to the protected pageit doesn't display properly in that the content is hidden behind the menu. This is usually fixed on the page settings but I have edited all the pages the plugin created to display right but still this does not and I cannot find any such page to make changes. I have installed and activated the support plugin now btw.

• Tyler Postle

Hey David,

Hope you're doing well today and thanks for your patience!

I see on your protected content page that the text "Protected: Shop" is white so it blends in but it looks like you may have added that style yourself. Are you wanting that part hidden?

Is there more that is hidden behind the menu?

How do you want the fields on your register page set? More than happy to help :slight_smile:

Look forward to hearing back David!

All the best,
    Tyler

• David

Hi Tyler,
    Thank you for taking the time to 'own' this problem. My time yesterday was frustrating to say the least. What you are seeing now is because I had to deactivate the protected content plugin as my client was not happy that it was so messed up. If you are able to confirm we can work through the issues now I will activate it now so we can look at the issue and hopefully get it fixed.
    Many thanks

• David

HI Tyler,
    So the plugin is now activated and the menu items re-added etc. The first problem is evident when trying to access the page that has the protected content. This is the link:

http://kangaroogifts.com.au/shop/

As you will see the content of the page you get directed to by the plugin is hidden behind the menu. Let's start with this issue firstly and move on to the others when it is fixed.

NB: Usually the content is brought into view below the menu using the settings on any given page. header / slider settings etc.

• Tyler Postle

Thanks for your explanation and reply. Appreciate going 1 by 1 too :slight_smile:

Try adding this CSS to your custom stylesheet.

.page-id-916 .content {
        margin-top: 200px;
    }

If you don't have a custom stylesheet then use this plugin: https://wordpress.org/plugins/simple-custom-css/

Let me know if that does the trick! With the page id there it should only apply to that one page, so it doesn't mess up the layout on any of the other ones that are displaying correctly in the first place.

Look forward to hearing back.

Cheers,
    Tyler

• Tyler Postle

Hey David,

It might not be prioritizing the CSS, so let's try this:

.page-id-916 .content {
        margin-top: 200px !important;
    }

We're adding the "!important" declaration so it should be taken in priority over any other CSS on that element, usually we avoid doing this so proper prioritization occurs; however, sometimes it can be a necessary evil :p

Also, I can see your menu is off too, I'm assuming that question is coming up next? or soon? Let's try adding this CSS too for the menu item that is dropping down:

.sf-menu > li > a {
    font-size: 13px !important;
    }

Talk to you soon David!

Cheers,
    Tyler

• David

That works ok thank you.

So I guess the next thing to deal with is the user registration. When I do a test registration using the live page after the initial information is entered I am presented with a page saying something about it being free and I will pay $0.00 etc, sorry I didn't copy the exact text, but I don't want that to be seen. I don't want any reference to payment etc. This isn't a paid membership. It is simply to protect the catalog from users that aren't authorised.

Also the users must be vetted by my client before being granted access. The plugin does this I gather, do we need to do something in settings to activiate an approval for users?

Oh and sorry the page

http://kangaroogifts.com.au/registration-complete/?ms_relationship_id=960

Which says
    'Your request to join the membership was successfully received!
    The Payment Gateway could take a couple of minutes to process and return the payment status. Visit your account page for more information.'

Doesn't need to be displayed but also had the same problems as the login page in that the content is hidden behind the menu again and there is no header image.

Sorry there are a few issues together in this but they are all related.
    Thanks
    David

• Tyler Postle

Hey David,

Thanks for your reply :slight_smile:

Also the users must be vetted by my client before being granted access. The plugin does this I gather, do we need to do something in settings to activiate an approval for users?

For this what you could do is have the sign up membership apply a membership that still protects the whole site; however, you could also have a "private" membership (private option is available when selecting membership type) then after you review the user you can apply the private membership to them which is the actual membership. Basically you're just setting up a middle membership level while they are awaiting review.

I don't want any reference to payment etc. This isn't a paid membership.

That page is a virtual page; however, we can hide the table with CSS then you can find the text in the greenbox via the template file :slight_smile:

Add this CSS:

.ms-purchase-table {
    display: none;
    }

Then navigate to this file:

/wp-content/plugins/protected-content/app/view/frontend/class-ms-view-frontend-payment.php

and you will see the text around line 12:

__( 'Please check the details of the membership below and click on the relevant button to complete the signup.', MS_TEXT_DOMAIN );

You could edit this right there; however, after each update you would need to edit it again, so instead I would recommend using our Ultimate Branding plugin and activating the Network wide text change module.

Then place that text to change and change it to whatever you think would make more sense for that page :slight_smile:

Doesn't need to be displayed but also had the same problems as the login page in that the content is hidden behind the menu again and there is no header image.

This page you can edit in the "Membership site pages" via:

Protected Content > Settings > Membership site pages. Then click "Edit" next to the registration complete page. Replace the text with anything you like :slight_smile:

If you're still having problems with the content behind the menu on that page then use the same CSS as above but change the page id to: .page-id-919

Hope this all makes sense David! Let me know if you have any further questions here.

I am just about to head to bed but I will check back in here tomorrow :slight_smile:

Have a great rest of your day.

All the best,
    Tyler

• Tyler Postle

Hey David,

If you don't want to protect the whole site that's no problem, just make the protection for the sign up "temp" membership protect that page and menu :slight_smile:

Then when you review and approve the membership swap them over to your private one that allows them access to those pages.

On weekends, we have less staff online, but I'll leave a note for one of my colleagues that I know will be coming online sooner than myself to check in on this :slight_smile: either way, I will still check on it when I'm back too.

Just leave the details here on what more you need assistance with.

Talk to you soon David!

All the best,
    Tyler

• Michelle Shull

Hello, David!

First, I'm going to close your other thread since we're handing your issues in this one. Adding a second thread will make it hard for us to keep track of your questions, and keeping the threads organized helps us help you faster.

As I can tell from here, your issue is that you want to protect your shop page and the menu items related to your store, correct? Tyler has resolved all your other issues already, right?

To protect the store page and menu items, you'll just need to add those pages and that menu item to your protected content. I attached a screenshot below.

Short version -> Go to Protected Content>Protected Content, and add the menu item and the store pages.

Next, go to your group which is ALLOWED to see these items, and make sure the content is added to that membership level. Easy peasy!

Thanks, David!

• David

Hi Michele,
    This is getting ridiculous. This system of people randomly taking over the thread is causing more issues than it is solving. You are *incorrect in thinking Tyler solved all the issues not at all. He went to bed before we were any where near done. And secondly *NO I don't want to protect menu items. This is what I want to achieve:

There is a catalog served from Ecwid using a shortcode embedded on the page called 'Shop'. This page is linked from the menu item 'Products'.

I want to users to have to register before being able to view the catalog. So I would Protect Content the 'shop' page. That I understand. However there are a whole bunch of pages and messages that one sees when going through the registration process that I don't want people to see. Their experience would ideally be thus:

They try to view the Products (shop page), they are told by the plug in that in order to view the catalog they need to register and there is a link to the register page. Or else perhaps they went straight to the register page for what ever reason.

So they enter their registration information and hit send or go or whatever it is. They then see a page / message telling them that their registration details have been sent and when they have been approved they will be notified and given access to the catalog.

So, when someone registers an email gets send to the person that will approve the users. Once they have approved them, the plugin sends an email telling them they can now access the catalog and ideally sends their username and password at the same time. That's all the registration process needs to be.

So the shop page is all I need to protect as no one can see the catalog unless they can see that page.

The other thing is that I need to ask for specific information when people register. The same info in all cases, but of course I need to set up the form fields I need for the info I want to get from the people registering.

As I say one of the issues is that there are messages / pages making references to various things that are just confusing as there is no payment to register / access the catalog. Just approval as the client needs to vet the people and make sure they are bonafide and grant the access.

Does this make sense? Can you help me set this up? Tyler told me to use the Brand plugin 'Text change' function to change texts in messages site wide that need changing rather than edit the php files etc as this way I wouldn't need to redo it after updates. It doesn't work. The messages remain the same. An example message is 'The Payment Gateway could take a couple of minutes to process and return the payment status.' I don't want users to see anything related to payments etc.

Thanks

• Tyler Postle

Hey David,

Hope you're doing well today!

Thanks for the explanation there. Here's what I am thinking.

You set the membership as private so there is no registration form created by Protected Content. Then you can manually apply the membership on approval.

Then install/activate this plugin: https://wordpress.org/plugins/new-user-approve/

This will give you the new user approval functionality.

To add more profile fields you can follow this tutorial here: http://www.wpbeginner.com/plugins/how-to-add-additional-user-profile-fields-in-wordpress-registration/

Now you can protect the content you need in that membership then upon approval, apply it to the users :slight_smile:

I will also mark new user approval as a feature request to be built in as an add-on for the plugin, would be a cool feature! Keep in mind, right now you still can with the plugin by having them sign up for a basic membership that still protects the content then move them to the actual membership for approval.

In this case, you won't need to change the text or anything as those protected content registration pages won't be used :slight_smile:

How does this sound?

Let me know what you think David!

All the best,
    Tyler

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.