I can't restore a Snapshot to a new site

I backed up my website with Snapshot. It was a normal WordPress install. What I wanted to do was convert it to a Multisite installation and use sub folders not domains. I then deleted my site and did a fresh WP install with Multisite.

I upload the theme, Divi, the WPMU Dashboard and Snapshot and then restored my site. This didn’t work for many reasons. The hosting company sorted some of them out on their end. So, what I did next was try to restore a snapshot onto a different domain, this was a clean, normal, WP install. But this didn't work either.

I need help restoring this snapshot to a site. I would prefer if we can get it up and running on the multisite.

• Adam Czajczyk
    • Support Gorilla

Hello Zac,

I hope you're well today and thank you for your question!

To make sure that we're on the same side:

1. the "intui....ign.com" is the new Multisites you wisht to restore backup to?
    2. backup comes from a single WP that was under a different domain, right?
    3. it should be restored to the main site of the Multisite?

Let me know, please. In order to diagnose the problem and be able to help you restore that, I will also need a full access to the site - the admin (super-admin actually) level access credentials, the FTP to access files (e.g. check logs and make adjustments) and the database to update some paths after restoration.

Note: Don't leave your login details in this ticket.
    Instead, you can send us your details using our contact form https://premium.wpmudev.org/contact/#i-have-a-different-question and the template below:

Subject: "Attn: Adam Czajczyk"
    - Site login URL
    - WordPress admin username
    - WordPress admin password
    - FTP credentials (host/username/password)
    - cPanel credentials (host/username/password)
    - Folder path to site in question
    - Link back to this thread for reference
    - Any other relevant urls/info

Kind regards,
    Adam

• Zac
    • Site Builder, Child of Zeus

1. the "intui....ign.com" is the new Multisites you wisht to restore backup to?
    intui....ign.com is the new Multisite.

2. backup comes from a single WP that was under a different domain, right?
    Single WP install but its the same domain. I would like to convert it to a Multisite install that can use sub folders. This way one SSL cert can cover all of them.

3. it should be restored to the main site of the Multisite?
    Yes

I will get you the rest soon.

• Predrag Dubajic
    • Support

Hi Zac,

Snapshot plugin was not designed to be used as a migration plugin and even though we had number of members using it this way we can't guarantee that it will work each time.

I did some tests with your backup file and I believe I have found a workaround for you by following these steps in order to upload your files manually and then restore only database for the main site:
    - Install clean multisite
    - Unzip your backup file on your PC
    - Upload wp-content/plugins/, wp-content/themes/ and wp-content/uploads/2018/ and wp-content/uploads/2017/ folders to their respective location on your server.
    - Install Snapshot and network activate it
    - Upload your backup zip to wp-content/uploads/snapshots folder
    - Go to Snapshot > Import panel and click on Import to import your backup file
    - Go to Snapshot > Snapshots and go to restore your backup
    - In Restore process select blog ID 1 to restore it to main site, select "Don't include any files" as we already did that, and select "Restore all blog database tables".
    - Let the restore process finish and check your site, everything should be restored now.

Note: If there are any issues with images not showing you might need to update image paths with plugin like this one https://wordpress.org/plugins/better-search-replace/ but let us know how the restore went first before doing that.

Best regards,
    Predrag

• Zac

These are the error message I got after I followed you instructions. (attached)

My snapshot did not capture any of the wp-content/uploads/2018/ and wp-content/uploads/2017/ files if there were some. I did however have some 2015/2016 files. I uploaded those.

Now I can't go anywhere on my site.

• Predrag Dubajic
    • Support

Hi Zac,

As I mentioned above, we had a lot of reports of Snapshot being used in this way, but it's not something that was initially designed for so there are some cases where it doesn't work, but people are still using it in this manner.
    We are already working on a migration specific plugin which you can follow here:
    https://premium.wpmudev.org/roadmap/#wpmud-roadmap-product-shipper

About those warnings you are seeing, first thing I would suggest is using debug.log instead of displaying the warnings live, this way your site should load and the errors would still be logged in wp-content/debug.log file.
    You can do this in your wp-config.php file (located in root WP folder) by replacing define('WP_DEBUG', true); with this code:

// Enable WP_DEBUG mode
    define('WP_DEBUG', true);

// Enable Debug logging to the /wp-content/debug.log file
    define('WP_DEBUG_LOG', true);

// Disable display of errors and warnings
    define('WP_DEBUG_DISPLAY', false);
    @ini_set( 'log_errors', 1 );
    @ini_set( 'display_errors', 0 );

About the cause of this, it seems that it's the same issue that I mentioned above that could happen to images, so we will need to use https://wordpress.org/plugins/better-search-replace/ here.
    If your site is in root public_html folder replacing this:
    /Intuitiveedgedesign.com/
    With a forward slash should do the trick:
    /

You can also double check your site path via FTP or cPanel and compare it from the path in warnings to confirm that my suggested change will point to the correct path.

Best regards,
    Predrag

• Adam Czajczyk
    • Support Gorilla

Hello Zac

I'm pretty sure that would still be related to the paths in the database (and/or in files like .htaccess, wp-config.php) but I think it would be best at this point if we could check it directly.

Would you please provide us with the direct access credentials then?

Please follow the guide from this post of mine:

https://premium.wpmudev.org/forums/topic/i-cant-restore-a-snapshot-to-a-new-site#post-1339940

Please note: if you're not able to provide cPanel access, then please make sure that you send both FTP and direct link along with login and password to the phpMyAdmin so I could actually access the database (that's crucial); if you can provide cPanel, then no phpMyAdmin credentials are necessary.

I'll access your new install files and database then and check it.

Best regards,
    Adam

• Adam Czajczyk
    • Support Gorilla

Hi Zac

I got your message, thank you.

The site's now up and running. I have also created a sub-site to test if that part is working fine.

I have already responded to you via e-mail with more details on this so check your inbox please. I think, however, that the site should be fine now.

Best regards,
    Adam

• Zac

Adam,

I was able to get into my site. However, some of my link to images are not working. I see you have put the Better Search Replace plugin on the site. I am looking for some settings on that but I don see any.

Does that plugin have a visual menu I need to use to get my images working?

• Predrag Dubajic
    • Support

Hi Zac,

When Better Search Replace is active there will be new option on your main site under Tools menu, that's where the plugin is configured and run from.

I have already run the replace for you and removed /home/taoashza/public_html/Intuitiveedgedesign.com/ part from the URL, which was causing the issue.
    Everything should be loading fine now but do give it another try and let us know if everything's in place.

Best regards,
    Predrag

• Adam Czajczyk
    • Support Gorilla

Hello Zac

I didn't put the Better Search Replace plugin on the site, it must have already been there. In fact, the only changes that I made were the ones that I described in my e-mail to you.

However, since the plugin is there it might be useful but we'll see about that yet. As for now, could you please tell me which exact images are missing? I don't know your site as well as you do so I'm not sure where/what for should I be looking.

If you could please tell me for example that on "page X" there's "image Y" missing in "this place" (I hope you got what I mean) it'd be much easier for me to check it and find a reason for this. As we re-gained working site without any need for restoring it again, I believe that is most likely possible to sort out as well :wink:

Best regards,
    Adam

• Zac

By the power of some magical internet force my images are being displayed properly now.

My logo and testimonial images on the homepage where not working before.

Sweet sauce.

Thanks for everyone's help getting this going.

• Predrag Dubajic
    • Support

Hi Zac,

Images that you mentioned were broken because of the wrong URL in DB and I actually replaced those with my previous comment and the images were showing fine for me.
    You probably just had old URL still cached in your browser for a bit so it didn't show right away :slight_smile:

Glad to hear it's working now :slight_smile:

Best regards,
    Predrag

• Predrag Dubajic
    • Support

Hi Zac,

Is there a way to set this value "define('WP_MEMORY_LIMIT', '3000M');" in my wp-config.php for every site on a multi-site?

When you use multisite you have only one WordPress installation that's running all of your subsites, so when you add memory limit define in wp-config.php it will affect all of your sites in network as it's just one installation.

Also, when I try to access Defender Pro's Masking feature I get an error.
    "Sorry, you are not allowed to access this page."

It seems that during the migration Defender was left active only on main site but on Multisite Defender can actually be only network activated and that caused the error on that page.
    I have deactivated Defender from your main site and network activated it and you can access the Masking feature properly.

Best regards,
    Predrag

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.