Saving cutomized plugin files from being overwritten

I could finally update the plugin subscribe by email and lost all customizations. I can easily recreate them, but need to know where to put the customized files to keep them from being overwritten. I need to change the 'Follow' to 'Hello' and the text in the form, and the link color. Please advise.

Actually if you have a global response regarding all plugins and where to put customized files of each, that would help a lot. Am using a child theme. Would the files be put within that structure?

Patrick

Hi there @Pixeldrummer

I hope you had a great weekend!

To prevent losing your customizations when you update a plugin, the best practice for labels and text strings is to create custom language files.

Using a program like PoEdit makes that task just too easy:
    http://poedit.net/

Once you have your custom language files (created for the language you use on your site), upload them via FTP or use File Manager in your cPanel to wp-content/languages/plugins. If that folder does not yet exist, you can simply create it.

Be sure WP_LANG is defined to your language in wp-config.php, and, if you are running a multisite install, select your language for each site in your admin under Settings > General.

As for colors and other design elements, likely the easiest way to preserve your custom stuff is by using a very handy plugin like this one:
    http://wordpress.org/plugins/simple-custom-css/

It enables you to add any custom CSS you want to override the styles in your theme and any plugin you have on your site.

Of course, you can add custom CSS to the style.css file of your child-theme instead. That will not be overwritten when you update the parent. But having the custom CSS plugin installed just makes it a bit easier, imo.

I hope this helps! And thanks for being a member

Pixeldrummer

Sorry, I don't get the reference to the Custom Language files or poedit.com. I don't want to translate anything I want to change a text string or two in subscribe via email, that involves follow-button.php and some other files. I want to safeguard those files.

If I customize the CSS files in plugins (all plugins) how can I safeguard those so that they are not overwritten by the next update. I don't need plugins to do the coding I just need to know how/where to save those files so that they are not overwritten, that the plugin works, AND that the core files can be updated.

Michael Bissett

Hey @Pixeldrummer,

Sorry, I don't get the reference to the Custom Language files or poedit.com. I don't want to translate anything I want to change a text string or two in subscribe via email, that involves follow-button.php and some other files.

This is what Patrick was referring to in his mention of custom language files:

https://premium.wpmudev.org/blog/how-to-translate-a-wordpress-plugin/

The reason why he had suggested editing the text that way is because if the text you're looking to change is covered in a language file, you can edit it there (instead of editing the plugin file directly, which will result in you losing any changes made to the file).

It's a curious way to tackle the problem, as we usually think of translating to be... well, changing the language to something like French. In your case, you're basically coming up with your own English translation for the plugin to use.

If I customize the CSS files in plugins (all plugins) how can I safeguard those so that they are not overwritten by the next update. I don't need plugins to do the coding I just need to know how/where to save those files so that they are not overwritten, that the plugin works, AND that the core files can be updated.

The problem here, in the case of Subscribe by Email, is that it only looks to files inside the plugin folder for things like the email template for the emails it sends out.

If you're wanting to make customizations, you'll have to edit the plugin files directly, which means you'll have to keep track of the changes made, as you will lose the changes made on an update.

Hope that clears things up here!

Regards,
    Michael

Rich

I'm sorry but I'm a bit unclear as to how to create the custom language file. I'm trying to create a language file where everything remains the same but it translates the word "shipping" to "contact".

I downloaded poedt and, per other instructions, I sought to edit by choosing:

File > New catalog from POT file.

Questions:

1. Where do I get the POT file to edit?
    2. If I want to create a "translation" to just change a few phrases, do I just change those phrases, save the output and upload the file?

Ash

Hello @Richard

If it's just for a single text you can try this plugin:
    http://wordpress.org/plugins/quick-localization/

Otherwise, you need to upload the edited file inside the language folder of the specific plugin. Also you need to define the lang code in wp-config.php, like:

define( 'WPLANG', 'en_US' );

For more query would you please crate a new thread, so that the original posters won't be bothered with notification email? Also, that will help us to provide better support

Cheers
    Ash