i 'd like to know something else about multisites. I was

Hi
i 'd like to know something else about multisites.
I was watching the video tutorial in youtube about how to configure multisite. And i've undestood that all the sites has the same extension yoursite.com/onesite. yoursite.com/twosite, etc...
And you talk about worpress.com and edublog as examples of that.

Here comes my question, i want create my own sites ( not my user sites), is good to create a multisite? And also is posible to have diferent site names, onesite.com, and twosite.com. if it is posible How do i get it, instead of creting diferent installation of wordpress for every site??

Thanks

• Jack Kitterhing

Hi there @wordev

I hope you are well today and thank you for your question.

Multisite can be handy to manage all your sites in one place and also great if all the sites are similar in content and can link in some way.

Could you tell me a bit more about the sites you wanted to create?

If you did go with it, you could map a domain to the sub directory, but I'd recommend going with sub domains before you try mapping, such as onesite.yoursite.com etc, here is the domain mapping plugin https://premium.wpmudev.org/project/domain-mapping/

Thank you!

Kind Regards
    Jack.

• Sean Johnson

@wordev,

Wordpress Multisite very capable to host multiple independent websites with their own domain names. It can greatly streamline a lot of annoying processes! I'd recommend you do it if the following does not scare you off...

I would set it up on using the sub domains installation and use the domain mapping plugin that Jack recommended.

Here are a few obstacles and limitations...

1) Depending on your hosting environment, getting your domain mapping working perfectly may take some tender-loving-care. For instance, I have domain mapping running on two different server configs (LAMP with plesk, and LNMP with no Control Panel), neither of my setups worked out of the box with domain mapping, I had to make a considerable amount of changes and extend the domain mapping plugin in one instance.

2a) SSL - if any of your websites will ever require their own SSL, do not use multisite and domain mapping. There is no solution - atleast that I have found or can think up.

2b) Because of this limitation with SSL, Marketpress eCommerce sites become limmited to using paypal. Even though Paypal has been around forever, many companies still object to using it because of it's high fees and clunky redirecting.

Those are my thoughts... I have about 60 domain that I would love to pull into one multisite, but I can't because of these limitations.

• Sean Johnson

@wordev,

I need to bear in mind the kind of hosting that i need. Do you recomend some kind of hosting in order to achive waht i want??

I run my own servers, so I don't have a real recommendation, but i'm sure you can find some here searching around at dev. AECNU is a popular staff member around e here and he runs. http://wpmu-hosting.org - probably a great start for you...

What is (LAMP with plesk, and LNMP with no Control Panel)?

linux apache mysql php & linux nginx maria-db php

This is technical hosting terminology... you should be fine googling it or just finding a good multisite host :slight_smile:

• Jack Kitterhing

Hi there @wordev

I hope you are well today, looks like Sean has provided you some great advice there, thanks Sean! :slight_smile:

Is there anything else you'd like to know about any of this, my personal opinion is to not go with multisite, but that of course is your choice :slight_smile: I would recommend either Digital Ocean (quite technical to use), or wpengine those are my two favourite hosts.

I'd like to point out that Joe (AECNU), is no longer staff at WPMU DEV.

Thank you!

Kind Regards
    Jack.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.