I do not see how to set the notifications messages in BuddyPress

I am using the Studio theme and not running MU. How do I set up notification messages for BuddyPress?

• bkeller99
    • Site Builder, Child of Zeus

Using the Studio theme as a guide, the buddypress account/status bar at the top of the page show "Notifications". For example, I want to set up a welcome message for new users. I don't see how to send out notifications, there is nothing in the buddpress admin bar.
    NOTE: I don't have MU enabled.

• Mason
    • DEV MAN’s Sidekick

Hiya,

For example, I want to set up a welcome message for new users. I don't see how to send out notifications, there is nothing in the buddpress admin bar.

Is this function available in the default theme? I don't think this is an issue for Studio but something you'll need a plugin to do. We have a welcome email plugin here:
    https://premium.wpmudev.org/project/automatic-follow-up-emails-for-new-users

Maybe someone else can chime in with a plugin for mass BuddyPress notifications, but I'm not aware of one currently.

Thanks!

• Tammie
    • WordPress Wizard

A bit of clarity is needed on what you mean by notifications. Do you mean messages you post to all members? If that is the case then yes studio will show these in the login panel (sliding panel). If you mean anything else no plugin time. However under theme options is an option to add content to the sliding panel and that would be a message to all there but you'd have to add a is logged in check around it to work for logged in only.

http://buddydress.com/2010/05/logged-in-and-logged-out-content-tutorial/

• bkeller99

all good info, and I use the sliding panel text, which is awesome by the way.
    But I must not be asking this correctly. So let me try again...at the top of the studio theme there is a BuddyPress status bar and one of the selections is "notifications" with a down arrow, and when I hover my cursor over it, it says "No new notifications" . My question is what is generating the notifications its referring too? and how do I "post" a notification.
    I hope that's clearer.

P.S. I really liked the BuddyPress tutorial link you provided, Tammie...very informative.

• bkeller99

Mason,
    FYI on the Automessage plugin someone needs to edit the installation and instructions documentation. First thing I noticed is that after unzipping the file it creates a folder called "autofollowup" not automessage. Secondly the plugin displays as "Update Notifications" which slightly confusing because of your "update noticiations" php file that comes with every plugin, and finally once I activate the plugin there is no automessage admin box on the left as indicated in the instructions. My guess is that this only works when MU is enabled.
    It just scares me when the documentation is that far off.
    thanks

• bkeller99

Never mind guys. I think I found my answer. A little BP unfamiliarity here I'm afraid, but I appreciate the responses...I learned a lot.
    You might want to check out the automessage plugin though. I would like to have that thing working. Follow up is very necessary for any site to succeed.

• Mason
    • DEV MAN’s Sidekick

Hiya bkeller,

Agreed. We've got some new documentation on the way and apologies as it was very recently upgraded.

Sorry for confusion on this one. That was why I asked above if you saw a way to post new notifications in the default theme. I think what you're looking for is actually a limitation in buddypress itself.

Anyway, glad we learned something here and if you need any help with the automessage plugin, just start up a new thread and we'll be happy to support ya. :smiley:

Thanks!

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.