I don't seem to be able to get the network admin on my main site

I don't want the wpmu on largo.couturedfusion.com. I intend for this subdomain to be one of two subdomains in the network. My main site where I want wpmu is couturedfusion.com. I installed wpmu there first but only got wpmu on the sidebar with: Dashboard, Plugins, Themes, Support, Community, Updates & Manage, as choices. I did not have Network Settings available in the tools section. When I installed largo.couturedfusion.com, I got network settings added to tools there. However, it appears that is the main site & subdomains from there. Not what I want.

I have read everywhere & not found the solution, please help.

• Jack Kitterhing

Hi there @Gloria

I hope you are well today and thank you for your question.

If you are installing the WPMU DEV dashboard on a multisite, it must be networked activated and can only show in the network admin, though if it's a single site sub domain install then it should work on the sub domain.

I don't believe there is a way to get it to show in sub domain dashboards for multisite installs, I'll include the lead developer here @Aaron

Thank you!

Kind Regards
    Jack.

• Gloria

Thank you for responding. I am going to outline specifically what I tried to set up.

Maindomain.com with store1.maindomain.com (subdomain) and store2.maindomain.com (subdomain). Each store has its own facebook fanpage. The goal is for store1 to publish a post in store1.maindomain.com and have the post also be published on maindomain.com and store1 facebook page automatically.

Never setting anything like this before, I could not think of any other way to do it other than the wpmu. At this point, I do not know how to accomplish this.

I set up the maindomain.com and store1subdomain.com. I then installed wordpress on both. I then tried to follow all the instructions I could find to install wpmu on maindomain.com. Once installed, I got a menu item, WPMU with dashboard, plugins, themes, support, community, updates, and manage. The tools section did not have a network settings available.

I could not figure out what to do next, so I then installed wpmu store1.maindomain.com via upload install plugins menu in the wordpress that was installed there. That gave me wpmu installed with network settings available in the tools section of the menu. The problem is that it is in order to use it, all needs to run from store1 which is not going to work.

At this point, do I need to delete everything on the server & start over?

I am looking for suggestions, ideas, instructions. It sure would have been nice if wpmu could just be upload & installed like a regular plugin, without all the extra stuff that now has me more confused.

Thanks for any help.

• Jack Kitterhing

Hi there @Gloria

I hope you are well today and thanks for the additional information, it is certainly appreciated.

At this point, if you haven't started the websites and have just installed WordPress I would recommend deleting what you currently have and starting over.

As a multisite setup can only run correctly from a main domain and not a sub domain, do you know if at your host, you have wildcards setup? This is for the sub domains for when you install WordPress Multisite.

The best thing once everything is deleted, is to install WordPress on the main domain, you then need to add a define to your wp-config.php, the official documentation on setting up a multisite is here http://codex.wordpress.org/Create_A_Network
    And there is also a good guide here https://premium.wpmudev.org/blog/wordpress-multisite-guide/

Who is your host? Just GoDaddy doesn't allow wildcards on it's shared hosting.

Thank you!

Kind Regards
    Jack.

• Gloria

Jack, Thank you so much for your additional reply. I definitely appreciate your taking the interest & time to provide this additional info. I had read the codex one but didn't happen to find the other one you recommend. It appears that one is going to be very helpful.

I will be removing WP from the main domain on the host server. Then re-installing & going forward from there.

My hosting is with Just Host & have been wonderful to work with over the past years. They are very responsive & helpful in every situation I have had. I am pretty sure they have wildcards.

I will leave this issue open until I get MU installed & operating correctly. It would be easier if I need to come back for more help.

Again, thank you so much.

Gloria

• Gloria

It is me again. I have done it all over again. I believe I have followed the instructions correctly.
    Reinstall WP to my main domain.
    Updated the .htaccess file
    Updated the wp.config.php as follows:

define(‘WP_ALLOW_MULTISITE’, true);

define('MULTISITE', true);
    define('SUBDOMAIN_INSTALL', false);
    define('DOMAIN_CURRENT_SITE', 'couturedfusion.com');
    define('PATH_CURRENT_SITE', '/');
    define('SITE_ID_CURRENT_SITE', 1);
    define('BLOG_ID_CURRENT_SITE', 1);

The above installed between define('WP_DEBUG', false); and /* That's all, stop editing! Happy blogging. */

Uploaded the WPMU DEV Dashboard 3.3 to the WP Contents/Plugins file

I go to login to WP Admin & get:

Error establishing a database connection

Can you see what I have done incorrectly? Any ideas?

Getting frustrated & tired. Going to bed & hoping for some ideas in the morning.

Gloria

• Gloria

PS to the above message. My upload of the WPMU was via FTP using Filezilla not through the WP plugins upload area. Thought I better mention that since the instructions say to do it that way.

Thanks for any replies, ideas, thoughts. Whatever help I can get. I wanted to have this done by Monday morning (not going to happen now but it was a goal). I have been trying to get this done since Friday morning and I am no closer now than I was then. Really further in the hole.

Gloria

• Jack Kitterhing

Hi there Gloria,

I hope you are well today, thank you for the additional information and sorry to hear your still having problems.

Could you tell me please if you have installed WordPress using a installer such as fantastico or did you install it manually, by uploading the files? As if it was the first one it should have created the database it's self. Could you send me your whole wp-config.php via email to contact(at)wpmudev.org with the subject line Attn: Jack Kitterhing

Thank you!

Kind Regards
    Jack.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.