I don't understand short codes and where I put them?

Hello!
I don't like the way my plug in looks...realize I may have to add short codes somehere to have it look like it does in the demo?
But I don't know where to put it and how (all at once or in some kind of order?)
Please help.
thanks,
Mira

• Alexander
    • DEV MAN’s Mascot

@mpark122,

Sure, I can help
    The demo is actually using a special Wordpress theme just for directory that is included with it. You can find this theme in the directory plugin folder under "themes" just move the folder "default" to your themes directory.

Take a look at the shortcodes section on this page: https://premium.wpmudev.org/project/wordpress-directory/#usage

You'll also find the instructions for the entire plugin there.

Let me know if you get stuck at any point along the way and I can give you more advice on what steps to take.

• mpark122
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

I tried that...at least I think I did and nothing changed for me.
    I still don't understand the short codes thing.

I made categories but I don't see categories listed. Also, where are the pages where businesses who want to create a listing are?

Best,
    Mira

• Alexander
    • DEV MAN’s Mascot

Hi @mpark122,

I'm sorry we don't have any phone support.

Have you installed the directory theme like I mentioned before?

To explain a but about shortcodes: A shortcode a keyword that you can place nearly anywhere in Wordpress, posts, pages etc. In the dashboard you see the shortcode, but on the actual site it will expand into a particular feature. This is great for including things from plugins that rely on external code or settings. You can use it to display contact forms, and anything plugins can provide for you.

Directory has several shortcodes. The most important one is the category shortcode. Just create a new page, and copy this into it:

[dr_list_categories style="grid"]

When you visit this page on your site, it will show all the Directory categories.

Best regards

• mpark122
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

i went into the back end and moved the default folder from directory themes to
    my wpcontent themes folder. Nothing happened.

so create a new page within the directory (like a directory listing) and copy that category short code? I don't want to have a separate page for directory categories. I want it to show up when someone goes to the directory page. Does that make sense?

• Alexander
    • DEV MAN’s Mascot

For ALL listings, you could simply add a link from your navigation menu to:

yoursite.com/listings/

Directory dynamically generates that page, so it will show all the listings. Otherwise you could create a new page named anything you like and place the shortcode I referenced above inside it.

Best regards

• Alexander
    • DEV MAN’s Mascot

@mpark122,

Do you mean this?

oh I see now you meant APPEARANCE, themes. I saw it there and activated it but I already have a theme that I'm using. I only want this directory as a page on my site. How do I do that?

That's what I was answering. How to add it as a page on your existing theme. Otherwise you could use the theme that comes with directory.

• Alexander
    • DEV MAN’s Mascot

@mpark122,

It will follow the styling of your theme. The one from the directory theme includes some templates to change the layout. But this is something that needs to be done per theme. You can add a custom theme template to your site to change how directory looks, but this would take some custom development.

Best regards

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.