I don't understand Upfront at all.

I don't understand Upfront at all.
I am not very website savvy to start with- no coding, so that is a big part of the appeal of Upfront- the drag and drop stuff.

I cannot tell how to connect something on Upfront to where it should be going.
The Facebook and Instagram buttons- Where do I copy paste in the URL for my page's site.
I have been shown earlier an "edit" feature look like ..... but when I am doing it- it seems to be for the whole box. In this case Scribe- the demo box has FB, IG, Twitter, P etc.

I think having the demo page when Scribe is activated is a little bit helpful and a lot misleading.
Helpful would be if I can click on the existing buttons-
FB and I would be asked for a URL to link to.
Currently I go to whatever page I am logged in to, usually my personal page. I want to go to my site's page.

The three Circles with lists under them. If I click on one of these helpful would be I go to an editable page full of "Ipsum Lorem"
When I have added new text inthere it, of course, does not go anywhere and I do not know how to make it go somewhere.
The top directory bar "Home, services/about"- does go to editable pages.
But I am not able to eliminate individual elements- esp with the FB/IG/Pin buttons- for me it has been all or nothing.

Much of the fault lies in me. I am bringing a whole lot of... stupid to the table.

The existing tutorials are not helpful to me, or again it may be working from the demo page- trying to tear it down and build up new things is very confusing.

Maybe this question is not helping you either :slight_smile:
Sorry.

The existing tutorials leave a lot unsaid and certainly undemonstrated.
Are there simpler, more idiot proof tutorials?

You add a page- get editable "ipsum lorem", insert image etc.
Your page looks like this.
You can label the page like this "YYYYY"
You can put button/title "YYYYY" here on your front page/index/Table of Cotents like this...

Am I getting clearer or crazier?

Any help would be apprecitated.

Thank you for your time and patience,
Peter

This is what I mean by "all or nothing": I did edit ABOUT some went back to work on SERVICES - this happened with ABOUT too, but I'm getting tired- trying to "link" or "edit" or anything I get the whole box and it wants me to delete it or resize it or something-- right now I am stuck here and I can't get back to the original box to try clicking just right all over again.

• Milan

Hello @peter,

Sorry to hear that you are facing difficulties in using Upfront. We have changed UI a bit more with latest upfront than it was in its older release. So it may feel little bit confusing at first, but believe me its very easy once you get familiarity with it. I must admin I've noticed some of the questions and some of the confusions in your question:slight_smile:. I will try my best to give you possible answers of your questions.

So here we go. :slight_smile:

The Facebook and Instagram buttons- Where do I copy paste in the URL for my page's site.

What I understand is your are talking about facebook, twitter, installgram, youtube icons rendered along with navigation menu. Those icons are rendered using simple ul element of html. When you click on that section you'll be presented with two context menu, one of them will be of settings icon, click on it and it will open html edito at the bottom of page as shown in attached screenshot, where you'll be able to tweak those icon's reference url.

And if you taking about social buttons in the footer then for those too procedure of changing reference url is same as above.

I have been shown earlier an "edit" feature look like ..... but when I am doing it- it seems to be for the whole box. In this case Scribe- the demo box has FB, IG, Twitter, P etc.

I am sorry but I am not getting this, Can you be kind enough and attach screenshot for this ?

Currently I go to whatever page I am logged in to, usually my personal page. I want to go to my site's page.

You can easily navigate between pages via our pages navigation windows. On left side of upfront editor, you'll see panel with links "Posts, Pages, Comments". Click on "Pages" link and edit your desired page. I've attached screenshot for this too.

The three Circles with lists under them. If I click on one of these helpful would be I go to an editable page full of "Ipsum Lorem"
    When I have added new text inthere it, of course, does not go anywhere and I do not know how to make it go somewhere.

I am sorry but I am not getting this. I am assuming you are talking about three group elements laid out in 3 columns with circle and list under it. ? I've attached screenshot for understanding this. Please do confirm that this is the element you are talking in this question. However I must admin I am not sure what you are not able to do with that elements. Are you saying you want to do something like when someone click on that group element, he/she redirect to specific page. ? If this is what you want to do then please refer attached screenshot to know how to do. At the bottom of each group element you'll see ".." icon, Click on it it will open windows saying "Link to..", use that small window to specify link of page where you want to redirect your user to.

You add a page- get editable "ipsum lorem", insert image etc.
    Your page looks like this.
    You can label the page like this "YYYYY"
    You can put button/title "YYYYY" here on your front page/index/Table of Cotents like this...

Can you say me in which context you are talking ? This seems to me default page creation flow. You create new page, it gets default look, then you add various elements in it, tweak those elements and finally save your customized changes. Is there something you want me to help with this or you've just included this for information only. ?

I did edit ABOUT some went back to work on SERVICES - this happened with ABOUT too, but I'm getting tired- trying to "link" or "edit" or anything I get the whole box and it wants me to delete it or resize it or something-- right now I am stuck here and I can't get back to the original box to try clicking just right all over again.

Can you attach of screenshot of those boxes in which you are facing issue ? I understood that when you try to edit those boxes it is asking you to either delete or resize it or that's the only operation you are allowed to perform. ?

Apart from above question it will be great help if you enable support staff access to your site via WPMU DEV > Support > Support Staff > Grant Access.

One more thing, i have noticed the big ?White block at the top of users page. I think this is a small group bug and in order to fix this on users website, here is what you need to do:

1. click on green settings for that group
    2. in BG color, click on color, select a color slightly off-white (white is theme color and has no RGBA)
    3. drag the opacity slider to make it transparent.

Please refer attache screenshot too. :slight_smile:

If there is something I've missed or forgot to mention, please forgive me and let me know those things also if I went in wrong direction, correct me with bit more info and screenshots please. :slight_smile:

Thanks & Kind Regards,
    Milan Savaliya.

• peter

Hello again @Milan,
    I followed your directions and screenshot examples and I am making some progress.
    Than you again.
    I'm still making some frustration. (The site not loading as above mysteriously fixed itself after about 2 hours- that's a separate ticket for another day).

I think my original post included too many questions, you were great at getting through them all.
    I want to pick just one to follow up on-
    The Navigation Menu at the top of the page. I tried changing the background color to off-white and more opacity. That has not worked so well.
    In the big box if I pull the mouse along- the "Home" Contact" us will appear like ghosts out of thin air. But I can't make them visible again.
    The smaller box with FB/IG etc I deleted somehow.
    Tried using an image instead of "off-white" to see if the buttons were still there- couldn't see them.
    And I cannot see a way to create them.
    I did drag the buttons up form the bottom of the page and put them in the box with the image.
    They are very hard to see- white- but again if I mouse over them- they appear.
    I was able to paste links in to the coding as per your instructions and that seems to work.

I want to delete Twitter and Pin-- I think trying to do that is where I deleted the whole thing.

I think Upfront can work, and work well-- it is pretty frustrating though. Without help from people like you I would walk away from it. I appreciate your patience and help.

Peter

• peter

I have, for now, gotten the background color change to work.
    But I couldn't say how I did it. I feel like I was doing the same things I did before but this time it worked.
    If I lose the change I do not think I can correct it quickly and easily, but would have to spend two hours poking around and clicking on things until it just happens.

Which is what I am trying to do now with the "About" "Services" buttons.
    I linked the "About" button to a url- for what I thought was a page that I created.
    But when I tried the same thing with "services" I came up on a choice to link to a page/post and was- eventually given a list of existing pages/posts to select from.

When I went back to "About" to be sure it was going to a page and not a url- I couldn't get the page/post list for awhile-- especially when clicking on "Go to Page/post"- I get the "leaving this page" warning. I think clicking on the link symbol is what sometimes gets me to the page/post option (grrrrr)- but then I don't see the page I created for "About". (I do see the original post from my earlier version of the site- but not the new--- you get the point.)

I'm very sorry about all this.
    Computers are pretty amazing and frustrating- as WPMUDEV designs these themes I'm not sure where the middle ground is between how computer clever people like me have to be- and how much more WPMUDEV has to adapt its interface to be more accessible to the not so computer clever.

You support people are very patient.

• Predrag Dubajic

Hi Peter,

Apologies for the delay here, it's been quite a busy week.

There are quite a few questions packed in this thread but it looks like only remaining issue is with linking to correct pages.

Here is what I believe is confusing you, if the menu item is already linked it will show Go To Post/Page link as shown on your above screenshot, this will actually try to open the page that menu item is linked to, that's why you are getting that popup message.

What you need to do is click on link icon that's right below three dots, this will open additional linking settings where you can choose how it will be linked, this is also where you will get list of Posts/Pages if you select Post or Page option, see attached screenshot attached below for more info.

Regarding the menu color, menu holder by default doesn't have any background color so to change the background you will actually need to change that region background color, this is done by either right clicking on empty space and then on Edit Background or clicking on icon that shows in top right corner if no element is selected, after that you can click on settings icon to enter those settings.
    For better explanation I have created a small video example for this http://screencast.com/t/q37xvbyT
    I just noticed that video is bit speeded up for some reason, sorry about that :slight_smile:

If there are some questions that I missed please let us know.

Best regards,
    Predrag

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.