I downloaded and install this app thinking it would allow

I downloaded and install this app thinking it would allow customers on our website to communicate with our staff. Which it does but it appears that if any other user tries to chat on the website that it all dumps into the same chat window. We can’t have one customer seeing a question that another customer is asking. Is there a way around this to have true one-on-one chats with a customer from the website.

• Mobility
    • New Recruit

That will work to a degree. The only problem I foresee is a customer may get confused by the two chat windows. Is there a way to default the chat link so it always starts a private chat?

The default chat screen almost becomes a community chat, which is a neat idea but dangerous as different customers on our website can chat with each other and they may think they are talking to a staff member.

• Patrick
    • Support Monkey

Hi again @mobility

There is no built-in way to default to a private chat I’m afraid. Please note that the private chat feature was just integrated with the current version of the plugin, so there is certainly room for enhancement.

That said, I think a way for users to request a private chat with a moderator would be an excellent feature request for an future update to the plugin.

So I’ll move this thread to the Features & Feedback forum to give it more exposure in the community. The more support a feature request gets, the more likely we are to consider developing it.

+1s anyone?

• Paul
    • The Green Incsub

@patrick Cohen, Excellent responses!

@mobility, Yes, this is coming. We wanted to get the replacement Chat 2.0 out with the existing features to replace the older Chat plugin codebase. So now we can focus on what I call ‘Support Chat’ Which will be something like this.

A user/customer comes to your site maybe a product page. They have a question. The click on some image or button that read ‘Have a question or new help? Chat with live support now!’ At this point the user is shown maybe a brief form Name, Email, Location, Account#, Question. Similar to many online chats I’ve used. Then they are placed into a queue. On the backend there is a moderator who is monitoring this queue and answering questions first in first out style. These are essentially private chats but with a different mechanism to initiate the chat session.

Nothing is finalized just yet. Still working on conceptual functionality. But that is the general direction.

• Mobility
    • New Recruit

Is this functionality we should expect in a few months or 6+ months? I ask because I’m working on converting our websites over to WP. We already have chat software but if we could find something cheaper and integrated in WP and on our server it would be a plus. Will keep an eye on this project as good chat software is a must. Your team is doing a great job, looking forward to what comes out.

• Paul
    • The Green Incsub

@mobility,

Yeah, shooting for 3-5 months for the addition. Maybe sooner maybe longer depending on features and such. Not sure if that fits your schedule. There are many other members requesting similar functionality.

So what other chat software are you using? How specifically does it handle user requests to chat with support/moderators? just trying to get an idea of the message flow and processing.

• Mobility
    • New Recruit

We use software called ClickandChat it has a desktop application and a javascript plugin for the website. It all runs through their servers and does alot of tracking of the users session, etc. But I think it does more than we need for a simple web based chat, definitely costs more.

On the desktop application moderators mark themselves “in” or “out” as long as there is one moderator “in” the click and chat icon on the website starts a session with the admin when a user enters their name and email. If all moderators are “out” then it gives the end user the option to leave a message.

The moderators can have multiple chat sessions open on the backend in different windows so they can chat with multiple end users. There are more settings on the desktop application that I haven’t really looked into but again I think most people don’t need anything super complex just a way for a customer on the website to start a chat session and then a moderator can pick up that chat request and start the discussion.

One good feature that our current system has is logging of the chat sessions that can be emailed to a administrator after a chat session is ended so management can read through to make sure things were handled properly.

• Paul
    • The Green Incsub

@mobility,

Thanks for the details. My comment below.

On the desktop application moderators mark themselves “in” or “out” as long as there is one moderator “in” the click and chat icon on the website starts a session with the admin when a user enters their name and email. If all moderators are “out” then it gives the end user the option to leave a message.

Yeah this is somewhat what I envisioned. Except instead of the desktop application we would have a moderator panel on the backend complete with roles the admin can assign to other WP users. So not everyone needs to be promoted to a certain WP user role in order to interact with customers.

One good feature that our current system has is logging of the chat sessions that can be emailed to a administrator after a chat session is ended so management can read through to make sure things were handled properly.

This is actually coming sooner in our Chat plugin. Still trying to work out the development details. The Chat logs will be available via the backend and be able to filter then by moderator, page, widget, private, etc. Or course even as an admin you will not be able to see other user private chat message.

One other common thing we will be adding is the ability for general users to download or have emailed the chat log before they disconnect their session. More on this in the coming weeks.

Thanks again. This will help drive the functionality we add to the support chat part of our plugin.

• Karl
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

Any updates on where we stand with this functionality? I see @paul was hoping for a release sometime late last year. We are now nearly at the half way mark of this year and I can’t say I know for sure this is available. Maybe it is but it I’m having a hard time seeing how I am suppose to implement it in the chat plugin? Am I missing something? This may very well be a result of my relatively brief amount of time trying to implement the plugin for 1-2-1 technical support.

• Karl
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

Sorry to hear that Paul. This really would be great functionality to have. Please do keep us posted in the future on if and when you might be giving this another try.

Your efforts are greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

K

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.