I downloaded it. Opened the zip file. Nothing happens. How

I downloaded it.
Opened the zip file. Nothing happens.
How do I use it?
I have a mac.
I just purchased the wordpress package off cult of mac.

• Patrick

Hi @jeff_peace

Welcome to the forums!

I just purchased the wordpress package off cult of mac.

First of all, what package are you referring to? Got a link?

Second, WordPress is free: http://wordpress.org/

I downloaded it. Opened the zip file. Nothing happens. How do I use it?

The WordPress software that you can download from wordpress.org is a platform that you can use to build your website. For it to function, it must be uploaded to the server at your webhost. It won't do anything on your computer.

Here's the official guide to installing WordPress:
    http://codex.wordpress.org/Installing_WordPress

Please let us know if you need more assistance on this issue.

I hope this helps! And thanks for being a member :slight_smile:

• Patrick

Hi again @jeff_peace

I just took a look at your account and see that you just signed up, and downloaded the WPMU DEV Dashboard plugin.

Is that the zip file you are referring to? If so, you have my apologies for misunderstanding your post. :slight_smile:

Once you have unzipped the file, simply upload the entire wpmudev-updates folder to your self-hosted WordPress site.

You can upload via FTP, or use File Manager in cPanel at your host, or even use the built-in WordPress plugin uploader (probably the easiest way).

Once you have uploaded and activated the Dashboard plugin, you will have access to everything WPMU DEV has to offer, right from your site. You can install and update our plugins and themes, and even get support right from your wp-admin.

• Patrick

@jeff_peace

In the context of web development, "codex" is simply another word for "manual".

But yes, you do need to read everything on the page I linked to above (and follow the links in it) until you are confident in the knowledge that you can install, configure and manage a self-hosted WordPress site.

But that's one of the advantages of being a premium member here: we're your team.

We're standing by to help you over any hurdles. And we love to do it too, because we've all been there and we know the relief of having a helping hand along the way.