I have 2,000+ members and want to give them all their own websites with their own URLs

Just started your monthly full-on support! Woot!

Right now I have multisite up and running, but I'm only using *one* site, my site.

I don't have to use multisite, I'm just looking for the fastest and easiest way to get this up and running. I'm just as happy to setup a second wp install on a second domain if that will make this easier.

I currently have a merchant custom-integrated to do the monthly payments. I think integrating my current payment system to turn on/off websites may take a little time. All of my current users are in the wp_users, my payment integration uses separate tables to track if they are "active", etc. I'm a developer and can do the integration myself.

Right now I think these are the steps I'll need to take to do this full integration:

1. I'm going to start off setting up your recommended plugins on either my existing multisite or a second site if you tell me that's best.

2. I'm going to give all my existing clients a coupon to get their own blog going *for free*. I'm not overly concerned with them passing out the coupon to others and ending up with some "freeloaders" - I'll end up converting them to paying customers in the near future.

3. I'll use one of my support staff to manage turning accounts on/off in the wpmu setup when my customers pay/cancel/etc.

4. If you guys can provide a straight-forward api call to turn on/off accounts / create new ones / etc, I'll use those api calls when they pay and/or cancel.

5. I'd like to also offer to people that aren't currently members of my current website to directly sign up and pay on the wpmu site, preferably through my paypal or my authorize.net, those accounts wouldn't be managed via api or have any integration with my current membership website. This can be active from the start, but it's just not going to be my immediate focus.

Does this sound reasonable using your wpmu plugins?

Do you recommend me setting up a second site / wp install, or will it be just as good using the current multisite install?

I *think* I want to go with your Pro Sites, but you have *sooooo many* plugins ;-D it's hard to tell for sure if that's the right route.

In addition to "should I start with a fresh install or use the existing multisite?", can you tell me which plugins you recommend to setup the account/site management, payments, etc as a good starting point for me?

Thanks!!! I greatly appreciate your help!

• Ash

Hello @Richard

Welcome to WPMU community!

I hope you are well today and thanks for asking the question.

If you want many sites and want to maintain from one platform, then multisite is better choice. You have control over the whole network from one panel, doesn't is sound cool?

But, if you think you can maintain many website separately, then you can go with single installation. (there are some plugins out there to maintain multiple single sites though).

You can use Pro Sites (you got it right :slight_smile: ) to maintain all the subsites in your network. You will have some modules in the Pro Sites plugin. So, you can create some levels, you can set their access area, you can set that no one will be able to use their blog until they pay or you can give it free :slight_smile:

Finally, your subsite admins need to use their own domain? Use our domain mapping plugin :slight_smile:

5. I'd like to also offer to people that aren't currently members of my current website to directly sign up and pay on the wpmu site, preferably through my paypal or my authorize.net, those accounts wouldn't be managed via api or have any integration with my current membership website. This can be active from the start, but it's just not going to be my immediate focus.

I am sorry, I didn't understand this part. Would you please explain again? :slight_smile:

Please let me know if you find this is helpful, or if you have any further questions.

Cheers
    Ash

• Richard

Your reply was super-helpful, thanks!

#5 - I'm going to have 2 types of paying members. Some that pay through my existing merchant integration on my current membership site (has 2,000+ users) and some that don't come through my membership site and will need to pay right on "Pro Sites".

I know obviously when I turn on Pro Sites anyone can show up and paypal and get a site. I'm just wanting to know the "best" way to activate these other people that are members of my membership site with out them having to pay "again" on the "Pro Sites" setup.

How easy will it be to do that?

Also, does Pro Sites come with coupons? Is that an "easy" way to get my existing members past the payment option on Pro Sites?

Thanks!

• Ash

Hi there

To clear confusion, I want to state here that Pro Sites is not a membership plugin. Your users that are already part of your membership, need to be a member of Pro Sites until they have a site. If I assume all members have a site, and if you force that all sites need to be Pro Site, then they need to be pro members.

Note that, Pro Sites currently doesn't support 100% coupon, but you should be good to go with 99.99% coupon.

Please let me know if you find this is helpful, or if you have any further questions.

Cheers
    Ash

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.