I have a few questions about using SnapShot, especially pertaining to using it for MultiSites.

I have a few questions about using SnapShot, especially pertaining to using it for MultiSites.

I hope it's okay to put them together. If not, let me know and I'll separate them into individual questions.

1. Can I use SnapShot to backup and restore an entire Multisite installation (with numerous websites)?

2. Can I use SnapShot to backup "one sub domain site" within a Multisite installation, and restore the "one sub domain site" (the individual site) back into the Multisite installation?

3. Can I use SnapShot to backup and restore an entire Multisite installation (with numerous websites), to a new domain (and new sub domains) on a different server and location (as if it were to be restored into a completely new website)?

4. Can I use SnapShot to backup "one sub domain site" within a Multisite installation, and restore the "one sub domain site" (the individual site) back into a new Multisite installation, but for a new domain and on a different server and location (as if it were to be restored into a completely new website)?

5. Can anyone provide any type of comparison between SnapShot and BackupBuddy by iThemes? This would be very, very helpful. Because BackupBuddy isn't going to be supporting MultiSite installations (at least for a long time). So, I'm looking for a solution that will work as well as BackupBuddy has for me in the past (which was great), but I need something better now. Any advice?

6. When I restore a site that was backed up with SnapShot will everything be restored? I mean everything .. including posts, widgets, widget positions, comments, etc., etc., etc.?? Or are there some things that won't be restored 100%?

Thanks,
Gary

Paul

1. Can I use SnapShot to backup and restore an entire Multisite installation (with numerous websites)?
    No, Snapshot only performs a backup on individual blogs within the Multisite system. Not the entire system at once. The reason for this is we have some members with very very large Multisite installations. Meaning over 100k. Technically there is no possible way to backup the entire system into one archive. Plus even if you were able to do that and needed to perform a restore there is no way to extract just for that site. Well, honestly you probably could but the archive itself would be very large if including files and such.

2. Can I use SnapShot to backup "one sub domain site" within a Multisite installation, and restore the "one sub domain site" (the individual site) back into the Multisite installation?
    Yes, See previous answer.

3. Can I use SnapShot to backup and restore an entire Multisite installation (with numerous websites), to a new domain (and new sub domains) on a different server and location (as if it were to be restored into a completely new website)?
    No. Snapshot does not yet officially support Migrations. Now if you are moving the domains (DNS) and such then technically you can do this. But officially not supported.

4. Can I use SnapShot to backup "one sub domain site" within a Multisite installation, and restore the "one sub domain site" (the individual site) back into a new Multisite installation, but for a new domain and on a different server and location (as if it were to be restored into a completely new website)?
    No, See previous answer.

5. Can anyone provide any type of comparison between SnapShot and BackupBuddy by iThemes? This would be very, very helpful. Because BackupBuddy isn't going to be supporting MultiSite installations (at least for a long time). So, I'm looking for a solution that will work as well as BackupBuddy has for me in the past (which was great), but I need something better now. Any advice?
    Can't provide the compare. Maybe some other member can.

Brian Purkiss

Snapshot cannot currently be used to back up an entire MultiSite network at once. Nor can it be used by site admins or be used to transfer sites.

The Network Admin can backup individual sub sites though.

I know Paul, the developer, is working on adding additional functionality, including some of the things you asked about.

Let me flag him and see if he can provide an update.

Paul

Sorry missed #6

6. When I restore a site that was backed up with SnapShot will everything be restored? I mean everything .. including posts, widgets, widget positions, comments, etc., etc., etc.?? Or are there some things that won't be restored 100%?
    Yes and No. when you perform a backup of a site/blog using Snapshot is will include all the database tables related to that blog. And if you select to include files then all media files will be included from the respective media folder (/wp-content/blogs.dir/XXX

Keep in mind there are many plugins out there written in such a way that create global database tables. These global tables are NOT included as part of the sub-site backups. Also, consider the Users and Usermeta tables which are also global. When you backup the subsite these are NOT included. Thus not part of the restore.

garymgordon

Awesome answers.

But, .. let me ask this, since it is VERY important to me.

I need the ability to backup at least an individual site, within a Multisite, and migrate it (restore it) to a new domain on a new server.

Since SnapShot doesn't offer this functionality now, is there any way you might be able to tell me "when" this might be available? Meaning, in a couple months, in maybe 6 months, in maybe a year ...? What is a realistic time frame for this.

Brian said "I know Paul, the developer, is working on adding additional functionality, including some of the things you asked about."

So, I was just curious if and (approximately) when .. might these other things be added and available?

Gary

Paul

@garymgordon,

You can check this thread and please add your name to the listing.

https://premium.wpmudev.org/forums/topic/was-wondering-if-snapshot-can-backup-from-one-server-and-then-be-restored-on-another-server

I've been working on this and had planned to have something mid-Jan 2013 but that deadline has come and gone. So at the moment it is hard to promise any reasonable feature like this.

garymgordon

Paul,

Can you update me on my original questions, which were:

====================

It's been a while and I'd simply like to know the status of these things.

Thanks,
    Gary Gordon

Paul

No. As before Snapshot was no designed to backup an entire Multisite installation into a single archive. We have many users running Multisite system with more than 100K sites. This would not work very well. And I double BackupBuddy or other tools which do perform full Multisite backups would ever finish.

No. Snapshot does not support migration.

I only have a old version of BackupBuddy from sometime last year. In that version BB does not support (or claim to support) Multisite. The backup solution is to just backup the entire system (database tables and files) into a single archive. As mentioned in response to #1 above this will not work for many of our members since they run very large Multisite systems. From reviewing many other backup plugins available for WordPress we decided to focus on backup of the individual sub sites only and not the entire network. As you are aware this does produce some issue in that you cannot easily migrate the Multisite system to a different hosting. In those cases using the hosting backup option is the recommendation. Snapshot was original designed to be a quick backup solution. Something to grab a quick image of the site before performing a WordPress upgrade for example. Then being able to restore if needed. It was not conceived to be a full on backup tool like BB but it seems based on member requests it is now turning to that.

Yes and No. When you restore a Snapshot you will get everything back that was included in the original Snapshot archive. Nothing more nothing less. So yes, posts, comment, pages, custom post types, widget, widget positions, etc. These are all stored into the site database tables. So whatever the settings during the archive creation will be restore.

The current version of Snapshot has some issues. One big issue is the common tables like wp_users and wp_usermeta. These tables are only included when Snapshot runs for the primary site. So when you create a Snapshot archive for a subsite it will only include tables related to that subsite. Also Snapshot does not include files outside of WordPress. We have many members asking to include files on other folders than the default /wp-content/uploads, themes and plugins. This is coming hopefully soon.

garymgordon

Paul,

Thanks for your current set of comments on Snapshot.

One last question/comment (for the moment).

Do you see Snapshot (within the next 3 to maybe 6 months, or even 12 months) being able to be reconfigured so that all of the above "NO" responses, can be turned into "YES" answers?

I'm presuming the answer will be no, but I just wanted to ask. (Please let me know what you think will be possible or what I might expect out of Snapshot over the next 6 to 12 months.)

Gary

Paul

Gary,

Do you see Snapshot (within the next 3 to maybe 6 months, or even 12 months) being able to be reconfigured so that all of the above "NO" responses, can be turned into "YES" answers?

Actually and honestly, yes. I/we have a strong desire to turn all these 'no' replies into 'yes'. This would make Snapshot a better class tool. As mentioned in my reply to you on the migration thread I had started work on the migration logic in Dec/Jan but was pulled into some internal projects (secret stuff). So my development time on Snapshot and my other 18 plugins I support has dropped to near zero. Really only have time for maintenance and bug fixes. No real time to plan, design and code new features. Or at least major new features like migration.

Tevya Washburn

Well tell the bosses at WPMU Dev that their customers want these features added! Whether you do it or someone else takes over, we'd like them done! BackupBuddy is failing us in big ways and we need another solution. Now's you're chance to take that market (and it's obvious on the BackupBuddy forums that it's a large market).

I too would like these features. And have to say that you should seriously look at adding the ability to backup an entire multisite at once. I'm baffled that this isn't included. I understand that it simply can't be done for the larger sites, but what about the smaller ones? Put a 5GB limit on it, or total number of database tables, or whatever, but still provide it for all of us with smaller multisites.

And please don't halt development on plugins we like/love for some "secret" projects. I'm sure we'll love whatever those are, but this is something many of us want and/or need and it seems like it's already half way there. Plus now is really the time to capture all the Multisite users who are using BackupBuddy and looking for an alternative.