I have a few questions from the Spirit tutorial 1:

I have a few questions from the Spirit tutorial
1: Responsive mode: I created a mobile version of my site but it doesn't show up on my phone. Is there something else I need to do to activate it?
2: Appoints+ & Upfront: Which page do I insert the Appointments+ shortcodes on? Do I create a new page? Can I use an existing page created from the WP dashboard? Do I have to create the page in Upfront? It's not clear to me from the example.

Thanks,

• Michael Bissett

Hey @DrMJ, hope you're doing well this evening! :slight_smile:

#1: Are you using a caching plugin on your site presently? What's the site in question, by the way, could you provide a link to it?

Also, could you enable Support Access to the site, in case I need to have a closer look at things? :slight_smile:

#2: Actually, you can go inside your site's dashboard, and go to:

Appointments -> Settings -> General

And down in the "Display Settings" section, you'll see a checkbox for "Create an Appointment Page" (see 1st screenshot below).

If you're not seeing a note below that (as shown in the 2nd screenshot), then just check the box, and save the settings. Presto, instant appointments page! :smiley: (and we didn't even have to add water)

Kind Regards,
    Michael

• Predrag Dubajic

Hey @DrMJ,

I see that you got this mostly sorted out but let me jump in here :slight_smile:

2. How do I enable support access

To enable support access you can follow this guide here:
    https://premium.wpmudev.org/manuals/wpmu-dev-dashboard-enabling-staff-login/

Never mind. I needed to click "view full site" at the bottom of the ios brower. Thanks

It looks like to me that you are using JetPack responsive mode which is being loaded instead of upfront theme, you can change this option in JetPack Settings by disabling mobile theme, see screenshot attached below.

4. Is the presto, chango Appointments page updatable by Upfront?

I'm not sure I understand this part completely, could you please elaborate this question a bit more?

Best regards,
    Predrag

• DrB1

Hello Pedrag, Thanks for the tip about disabling Jetpacks Mobile theme. Upfront works much better. Here are my Upfront questions:
      1. I tried to follow the blog tutorial on integrating Spirit & Appointments plus. When he created the code in the text widget I'm not sure what page the widget goes on? Do I create the page at that time in Upfront or do I previously create it in WP dashboard. Also please verify that if I create it in Upfront that it would be better to NOT use a page template if I ever want to change the theme.
      2. In the blog tutorial were the photos Upfront images or gallery? What would be the best way to display images when clients are selecting between 5 service providers. I didn't see a short code for displaying service provider photos.
      3. I started this site this week and now I realize it should probably be multisite because service providers will need to manage their appointments and they will also be blog authors. How would you recommend making the transition? This week has been mostly sandbox stuff and branding. I could start over if need be.
      4. I see that Spirit is a child theme of Upfront. Should my site be a child theme of Spirit, if that's possible.
      5. Also I can't find any recent comparisons of buddypress vs wpmu plugins. My usecases are as follows:
      a. My service partners manage their appointments
      b. They manage their own blogs on the site
      c. The facilitate webinars, moderate forums, etc.
      Thanks! DrMJ

• Michael Bissett

Hey @DrMJ,

When he created the code in the text widget I'm not sure what page the widget goes on? Do I create the page at that time in Upfront or do I previously create it in WP dashboard.

You'd be creating the page in Upfront, and then after inserting a text widget onto the page by first dragging & dropping a Widget element on the page, you would insert the code into the text widget. :slight_smile:

Also please verify that if I create it in Upfront that it would be better to NOT use a page template if I ever want to change the theme.

If you're using elements to build your page, and provide content, they would only work inside of Upfront. If you're looking to build a page that has the Appointments+ shortcodes on it, and would still display the shortcodes after switching themes (should you ever want to), the page I had mentioned creating in my earlier post (point #2):

https://premium.wpmudev.org/forums/topic/i-have-a-few-questions-from-the-spirit-tutorial-1#post-887732

Would be a way to accomplish that. :slight_smile:

2. In the blog tutorial were the photos Upfront images or gallery? What would be the best way to display images when clients are selecting between 5 service providers. I didn't see a short code for displaying service provider photos.

If you're referring to the last image in the tutorial you mentioned earlier:

https://premium.wpmudev.org/blog/upfront-plugins/

The service provider image shown there was part of a bio page previously created for that provider, you'll notice that further up on that particular tutorial, that a page called "Emma lemma" was set in the "Bio page" dropdown for the service provider inside of:

Appointments -> Settings -> Service Providers

I found on my own test site though, that I needed the shortcode for the service provider to be set like this:

[app_service_providers description="content"]

3. I started this site this week and now I realize it should probably be multisite because service providers will need to manage their appointments and they will also be blog authors. How would you recommend making the transition? This week has been mostly sandbox stuff and branding. I could start over if need be.

We've actually got a tutorial about the setting up of Multisite over here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GwGC-_KH0jY

They could open up their own sites on your Multisite network, and do their blogging from there. :slight_smile:

4. I see that Spirit is a child theme of Upfront. Should my site be a child theme of Spirit, if that's possible.

WordPress presently only works with parent themes & child themes, there isn't the functionality for a "grandchild" theme, as it were. With that said though, you should be fine here. :slight_smile:

5. Also I can't find any recent comparisons of buddypress vs wpmu plugins. My usecases are as follows:
    a. My service partners manage their appointments
    b. They manage their own blogs on the site
    c. The facilitate webinars, moderate forums, etc.

You may find this article to be of interest (there's a few webinar plugins mentioned there):

http://www.socialmediaexaminer.com/wordpress-plugins-streamline-your-business/

Hope this helps! :slight_smile:

Kind Regards,
    Michael

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.