I have a membership structure in mind, but not sure it will work in Membership 2 Pro

Happy New Year to You all!!

Can I please ask for your advice on how to set up a specific structure of a membership site using Membership 2 Pro?

Here is what I want to do:

I'm selling t-shirts to elementary schools. The teacher of each class will sign up to the website and create a design which will be on a t-shirt. I have a gravity form now where they populate their information, but I want them to be able to create an account with that information so that they can modify it if they need to. I'm afraid without that account if the teacher needs to change something in their data they won't be able to do it.

Once the design is done, I will post it to the site so the parents will be able to buy it.

I'm setting up an ecommerce site with Woocommerce, but what I really want is for parents to also create a log in to join the group,( or maybe to log in as guests) and ONLY SEE the single design. I don't want them to have to search for their specific design among hundreds that other classes have also made.

So in summary, I want each individual class to have their own unique group that they will sign into and purchase. I want the parents to be able to access the group as well.

Does that make sense? What are your thoughts on how I could create that structure?

Thanks!!
Eric

• Tyler Postle

Hey Eric,

Hope you're doing well today!

I think making your WP install a Multisite would be a good option here.

Then each subsite could be a new elementary school and would have it's own store and it's own membership. So it would keep all schools completely separate while still being in the same install so it's easy for you to manage.

You can use our New Blog Templates to setup a template that each store is based off of so you can have all the general stuff already setup for when a new school wants to work with you. Then you can just make the necessary School specific changes to the site and it's all ready to go.

With Membership 2 you can protect access to the Woo product or Gravity Form page until they are signed up. Setup a default membership within Membership 2, which will be applied automatically when someone signs up so all they need to do is sign up on the site then they will be able to fill out the form or purchase the product.

Here's more information on setting up a Multisite too:

http://codex.wordpress.org/Create_A_Network

https://premium.wpmudev.org/blog/ultimate-guide-multisite/

Let me know if you have any further questions on this. More than happy to help :slight_smile:

Cheers,
    Tyler

• EricGiauque

Hi Tyler,

So, as I've read more about multi-site, as expected, I've started to develop some questions.

First, I've already got a site in the works, so unless I'm wrong, I don't think I'll use one of the "New Blog Templates." Instead I'll create the Multi-site from the site I've already (partially) created. Am I right that I need to make sure that site is absolutely complete before I begin to create the multi-site? If I'm not done with the main site and create the multiple sites, will I have to create them again if I make any changes to the main site?

Second, as I think about the experience of a teacher who is a new and just arriving at the main site for the first time, exactly how does that person establish a new site for his or her own school? How will he or she come back to the same school sub-site they have created?

Third, since I will also want other teachers, principals and PTO members (from the same school as the teacher in question 2 above) to sign up at the site, how do I ensure they don't create a redundant site for the school, and instead register with the school that has already been created?

I'm working through the ultimate multi-site guide right now, so hopefully some of these things will come clear, but if you have some insights, that would be really excellent.

Thanks as Always!!
    Eric
    What I expect is that a new user, arriving for the first time, will obviously enter

• Tyler Postle

Hey Eric,

No problem, happy to help!

First, I've already got a site in the works, so unless I'm wrong, I don't think I'll use one of the "New Blog Templates." Instead I'll create the Multi-site from the site I've already (partially) created. Am I right that I need to make sure that site is absolutely complete before I begin to create the multi-site? If I'm not done with the main site and create the multiple sites, will I have to create them again if I make any changes to the main site?

You can make a site into a Multisite at any time. You don't need to finish the main site first.

I'm thinking what you would want to do here once you make your site into a multisite, is first create a new subsite on the network with the general setup that you want all sites to have. Then still use New Blog Templates to make that the "default" template for new sites. That means that it will be applied to all new sites that are created on your network .

If you don't create a New Blog Template then when a teacher creates a site for their school they will be given just the default WP install look with the 2016 theme and likely won't have any idea what to do next.

With the template you make, you can basically have the site already setup for them.

If I'm not done with the main site and create the multiple sites, will I have to create them again if I make any changes to the main site?

The main site and subsites won't really be synced at all, so changes to one won't make any differences to another :slight_smile:

Second, as I think about the experience of a teacher who is a new and just arriving at the main site for the first time, exactly how does that person establish a new site for his or her own school?

The default site creation form on a multisite is located here: yourdomain.com/wp-signup.php

That will allow them to create a user and a new site.

You may be interested in using our Pro Sites plugin: https://premium.wpmudev.org/project/pro-sites/

It allows you to more easily control what subsites have access too as far as plugins/themes/functionality goes.

It also allows you to create paid upgrade levels too if you want to allow teachers to pay to upgrade to other functionality. ie. we have a eLearning plugin: CoursePress Pro

You may want to offer that as a "premium" service or something and have them pay a monthly fee for access to it.

How will he or she come back to the same school sub-site they have created?

If they go to your main site and tried to access the dashboard there it would let them know that they don't have admin access and give them the link to their own site.

Also, with our Pro Site plugin you can direct them to a checkout/account page that will list their site. Of course, they can just save the direct link to their site as well.

Third, since I will also want other teachers, principals and PTO members (from the same school as the teacher in question 2 above) to sign up at the site, how do I ensure they don't create a redundant site for the school, and instead register with the school that has already been created?

You could encourage the first teacher to create a site with the schools name, that way if another one tried to make a site with the same name it would say the school already exists. Also, you can have a separate sign up form on the schools site itself using Membership 2. So the teachers, principals, and PTO won't have the option to create a site. I'm assuming the teacher that created the site would give their colleagues the direct link to their new site instead of to your main site - this way there wouldn't be any confusion as they would never have the option to create another site.

You can also allow domain mapping too with our Domain Mapping plugin. This allows you to let teachers have a top level domain for their subsite.

ie. instead of newsite.yourdomain.com (default for multisite subdomain install) they could have newsite.com - which would likely lead to even less possibility for confusion too since it's less likely any of the other teachers, staff, etc. would visit your main site.

Hopefully that helps! I have a feeling it might just bring up more questions too :p so don't hesitate to ask if it does.

All the best,
    Tyler

• EricGiauque

Hi Tyler,

I've been thinking about this over night and I'm worried this solution may be overly complex for my users. I think the prospect of having a teacher have to set up a site for the school may just be a daunting prospect. I'm going to think about this some more for a while and see if perhaps I don't really need my users to log into a site, and if I can figure out a workaround that helps teachers and parents to find their product easily, even if there are many schools and classes that are selling on the site.

thanks for your assistance on this, and perhaps I'll come back to it. I'm looking at a number of other issues at the moment, so I'll focus on those and then perhaps address this later.

Thanks!!
    Eric

• Tyler Postle

No problem Eric!

Another option you could do if you would rather set the site up for them is just have them fill out a form with the necessary information and then you can get the site all setup based on your template and the information they provided. Then let them know when it's complete.

You can use the same theme/design for all the subsites if you like so it looks more streamlined from the users perspective.

Just a thought! Let us know if you have further questions.

All the best,
    Tyler

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.