I have a multisite set up as well as a regular network

I have a multisite set up as well as a regular network setup with client exec.
The reason for this is some of my clients require their own unique plugins and access .
All my accounts start out in the free trial on my MU.
When the need arises for a move over to my network on clientexec on a subdomain ...what is the best way to move their site while keeping the same subdomain name, theme etc, core plugins etc.?

• Tyler Postle
    • CGO

Hey Bob,

Hope you're doing well today!

Our Snapshot plugin can definitely help with this, there will still be some manual aspects to it, but I'm not sure there is any automated solution out there to do this whole process.

With Snapshot, you will need to pre-install WordPress in the end location and install all the plugins/theme needed. That's it. Then when you upload the snapshot, it should load in all the media/users(created on that subsite), plugin settings, theme settings, etc.

Since you are already creating the WordPress installation before uploading the snapshot then your domain name should already be there and snapshot will make sure all the urls are corrected during restoration of the site.

Another option that could work is BackupBuddy: http://ithemes.com/purchase/backupbuddy/

I haven't used it for this purpose before but I have seen talk around the forums that it's possible :slight_smile:

Here is a little tutorial I found with someone using BackupBuddy: http://wpsites.net/wordpress-tips/moving-sub-sites-from-multisite-to-individual-wordpress-installations/

Hope this helps Bob! Let us know if you have any further questions.

All the best,
    Tyler

• Tyler Postle
    • CGO

Hey Bob,

Will there be any conflict with the clientexec network and my MU and my network both using the
    same subdomain address?

It will be the exact same address? Do you manually create a subdomain on the site to point the clientexec site towards? (sorry never used clientexec).

If that's the case then once you upload the snapshot ensure that you delete the subsite. Then that url should go towards your new setup. I've accidentally created subsites with the same name as a single site subdomain and it prioritized the single site.

I'm curious Tyler... where are you and the wpmudev gang all located?

We're everywhere :wink: I'm in Canada along with one other staffer, he's east and I'm in the west. Then we have, Greece, UK, Spain, US, Bangladesh, Vietnam, India.

That's for the support team anyway.

The HQ is located in Melbourne Australia. You can see a small glimpse of that on our careers page: http://incsub.com/careers/

Pretty cool!

Let me know if you have any other questions Bob.

Cheers,
    Tyler

• Tyler Postle
    • CGO

Hey Bob,

This is a question I have asked myself a few times before and it really came down too.. are you going to utilize enough of it to make it worth all the modules?

If you are only going to use 1 of it's modules then it's likely not worth it because you can find a lot lighter plugin that will do that one thing.

If you are going to use 4, 5, 6+? Then it could be worth it - in that case it could be saving you from having to install 6 other plugins!

Keep in mind you can also deactivate the modules you aren't using, so that will get rid of bit of the bloat too :slight_smile:

I think Jetpack is a really cool idea, and has a lot of modules that are super user friendly for clients, but it is a pretty heavy plugin to have if you're only using it for 1 or 2 things.

That's my opinion anyway.

Cheers,
    Tyler

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.